We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Executive Lounge Access?

Options
I'm going to be travelling BA to Orlando with my wife, kids and parents next year and was wondering prior to booking my tickets, what is the best/cheapest method of getting access to the Executive lounges, as it'll ease the stress and keep everyone occupied whilst we wait?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil

Comments

• jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    Phil_cram wrote: »
    I'm going to be travelling BA to Orlando with my wife, kids and parents next year and was wondering prior to booking my tickets, what is the best/cheapest method of getting access to the Executive lounges, as it'll ease the stress and keep everyone occupied whilst we wait?

Which airport are you departing from? And will you be wanting lounge access for both the outbound and the return?
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    In a moment of boredom I did the leg work and answered my own question. Since BA only fly to Orlando from Gatwick, I'm guessing it's Gatwick.

Unless you have BA Executive Club status or travelling business / first class, you have no right of access to any BA departure or arrival lounge. The only info about third-party lounges I've found is on Gatwick's own website here:

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/north/business-lounges/

Assuming you're looking at four adults and two kids, it'll cost you a whopping £111 based on my random dates.

I have lounge access as part of my frequent flier status with BMI and the Star Alliance, and while it's nice, it is definitely not worth that much for a couple of hours of tranquility. Especially as the third party lounges you can pay to enter have very little in the way of perks (i.e. free bar and generous snacks) that make them enjoyable for me to use them before / after a long trip.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2010 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Presumably you are flying from Gatwick North terminal. Unless you want to shell out for Club World plane tickets the only lounge available and open to children is the Whitworth lounge. Costs around £15 per head. Booking via Holidayextras costs £80 for 4 adults and 2 children.
  • Phil_cram
    Options
    I'm leaving from Glasgow and have a 4hr stay at Gatwick, then onto Orlando. Similar sort of wait at Gatwick on the way back.
    Ideally I'd like lounge access at Glasgow & Gatwick on the way there, and Orlando & Gatwick on the return.
  • Phil_cram
    Options
    Looking at my flight times, I'm really only gonna need the lounge at Gatwick on the way out to Orland (4hrs).
    So £80 is the cheapest I'll be able to get lounge access for 4 adults & 2 children at Gatwick?

Many thanks, Phil.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lounges you pay to get into are dreadful, and absolutely not worth the money. You should question why you want access.

Although you won't have access, the BA Terraces lounge at Gatwick isn't that fantastic to be honest - the breakfast options are limited (as your MCO flight will be an early departure).

Furthermore, the Delta Crown Room at Orlando (the lounge shared by BA) is even worse - limited seating options and no food (other than cookies and nuts!).
    Legal team on standby
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    What do you get for £15 a head at gatwick that you dont get in the normal departure lounge
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    Lounges you pay to get into are dreadful, and absolutely not worth the money. You should question why you want access.

I would agree with that. Don't think of the luxurious "executive" lounges you see in the adverts. The Servisair lounges which you can pay to get into (typically £15-18 a head) are little more than waiting rooms with a fridge at the end. They aren't that pleasant and a lot of people are there to try to drink as much as possible of the free booze to justify the entry fee. Food is usually little more than crisps and nuts. Many of the lounges are full of families on package trips who have paid a small premium upgrade and are full of kids running around. Relaxing they are not.

The BA lounges are better but the only way you can get into them is by travelling on a business class ticket or being a BA Silver or Gold card holder. You cannot pay to get in.

photome wrote: »
    What do you get for £15 a head at gatwick that you dont get in the normal departure lounge

Free booze! :beer:
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The BA lounges are better but the only way you can get into them is by travelling on a business class ticket or being a BA Silver or Gold card holder. You cannot pay to get in.

The BA lounges are definitely better than the nasty Servisair ones, but sadly Gatwick is a poor example (particularly compared to LHR ones). I think it's because Gatwick is a 'holiday' airport with limited numbers of 'business' travellers. The arrivals lounge is limited too - you can get a very nice shower, but not the breakfast options available at LHR.

It's worth pointing out that you can technically 'pay' to enter the BA lounges by buying status with Qantas and entering under the oneworld alliance argeement (all oneworld status holders are allowed into the lounges).
    Legal team on standby
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that you can technically 'pay' to enter the BA lounges by buying status with Qantas and entering under the oneworld alliance argeement (all oneworld status holders are allowed into the lounges).

Fair point. However, the last time I looked the "Qantas Club" was over £400/year. You would have to travel a lot to justify that cost (and I already have BA Silver through my work travel)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport