Stop being a Wimp!... DMP Journey

in Debt Free Diaries
733 replies 74K views

Replies

• EllieselevenEllieseleven Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy to see you on the savings for Xmas 2015 thread Chrysalis - let's do this!

Ellie xx
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a decorating job take so loooong! Useless OH has had 9 weeks to paint and decorate our hall and stairs and so far he has taken up the carpet and put "some" undercoat on:mad:

I have been saving all my loose change for ages and have enough to carpet the stairs (that's a lot of change and many weeks!). Anyway, new carpet will arrive next so hall had better be finished!!

He really does think that I'm thick - now I work from home a lot of the time, I see exactly what he's doing (or not doing) - his day consists of watching TV, 20 minutes of painting followed by watching TV for the rest of the day. He then disappears down the garden into the games room and drinks 3/4 cans of lager and smokes to his hearts content!

I am trying so hard not to lose my rag as I have another couple of years to put up with this until I have paid off all our debt.

Anyway, I'm off out for the day with my daughter to do some Christmas shopping:)

Ellie xx
  • themull1themull1 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could your husband not get christmas work in a shop?
  • Eager_ElephantEager_Elephant Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a decorating job take so loooong! Useless OH has had 9 weeks to paint and decorate our hall and stairs and so far he has taken up the carpet and put "some" undercoat on:mad:

I have been saving all my loose change for ages and have enough to carpet the stairs (that's a lot of change and many weeks!). Anyway, new carpet will arrive next so hall had better be finished!!

He really does think that I'm thick - now I work from home a lot of the time, I see exactly what he's doing (or not doing) - his day consists of watching TV, 20 minutes of painting followed by watching TV for the rest of the day. He then disappears down the garden into the games room and drinks 3/4 cans of lager and smokes to his hearts content!

I am trying so hard not to lose my rag as I have another couple of years to put up with this until I have paid off all our debt.

Anyway, I'm off out for the day with my daughter to do some Christmas shopping:)

Ellie xx

Just keep smiling and breathing and 2 years will soon pass:D

Hope you get/got loads of bargains today:j
  • Eager_ElephantEager_Elephant Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    themull1 wrote: »
    Could your husband not get christmas work in a shop?

I don't want to tread on any toes but thought I would answer - Ellie's husband is a seasonal worker and works for 6 months of the year and has 6 months off.

The likelihood of him working in a shop during his off season is very unlikely, probably as likely as me winning the lottery.
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to tread on any toes but thought I would answer - Ellie's husband is a seasonal worker and works for 6 months of the year and has 6 months off.

The likelihood of him working in a shop during his off season is very unlikely, probably as likely as me winning the lottery.

Ha Ha! EE that made me laugh:rotfl:

Hi themullone - normal people would try to get a job working in a shop or similar but my OH can't be bothered basically. It's much easier to do nothing and live off me. Believe me, I have tried to get him to see our situation but I might as well save my breath (which I do these days). I have a plan for when I am debt-free;)

Ellie xx
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good news on the debt-busting front, I've updated my totals and we will dip below 17k on the next payment and this will be 63% paid back. The figures feel like they are going down much faster these days (which is a good thing).

I have two debts under 1k and the way we are going these should be gone mid-way through 2015 which will free up some cash to throw at the others:o

Christmas shopping is underway slowly, I have bought my DD's, my little grandson and my parents so those are my priorities. I buy token presents for everyone else so I'm hunting for some bargains at the moment.

Food is all accounted for so I don't have to worry there and I have a lovely hamper from work with a few bottles of Vino:beer:

Take care
    Ellie xx
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As another year draws to a close I have been thinking about my debt free journey so far and I really do feel positive about the future:o

4 1/2 years ago we were struggling to get by and the majority of our money was paying credit cards and we were so miserable with no end in sight but now:

* we have a little over two years before we will be debt free
    * we won't owe anything when we retire.
    * we have paid back almost £30,000:eek:
    * budgeting is a way of life and a positive thing.
    * I no longer worry about our future.
    * I have met some wonderful, inspirational people on these forums.

...and for those that know my useless OH, he's finished painting and decorating the hall! :)

I may have no money but I have many things to be thankful for;)

Take care all

Ellie xx
  • PuzzcatPuzzcat Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    HSxmastree.gif Hi Ellie,

All sounding very postive !! Hope your ready for christmas! and well done to OH for getting the decorating finished in time..

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • MoneywhizzMoneywhizz Forumite
    432 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Have just read through most of your diary. You have done a great job, without any support. If only your Oh had made a bit of effort you could probably have been debt free much sooner. Still it's good to know you have a plan for the future and that you have such happiness with your daughters and grandson. Well done. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides