Anyone got a paddle????

Options
It's suddenly feeling like I'm up the creek without one! :(

I got back to the car yesterday and had a parking ticket waiting for me - then promptly spent the rest of the night bawling tears of frustration! I'm not speaking to OH since he couldn't offer anything more constructive than "Don't worry, just be positive, everything'll be fine!" - he hasn't really done anything wrong, I was purely being a b*tch and taking my frustrations out on him!

Anyway - as for more about me, I started my debt busting journey at the beginning of 2007, by June of 2009 I'd reduced my debt from £18,000 to just over £4,000. HOWEVER, I was utterly miserable in my job and took the decision to go back to uni and re-train as a teacher. My brother also got married in Mexico last year, so in an aid to reduce my monthly loan payments and allow me to re-train/go to his wedding, I refinanced my loan (RUNS for cover at outcries to my stupidity!!) and took out a LTSB loan for £6.5k.

I had £2,000 in "savings" at the start of the course, which along with my student loan and wages from my part-time job was to see me through the course.

I had to give up the job at Christmas because it was too much on top of the course commitments, and basically the savings ran out by about March.

I've now finished the course and am provisionally qualified. I'm starting a years paid probation in August, but won't get a full wage 'til the end of September. As I officially have no money and still have bills to pay, I'm doing a bit of temping over the summer to tide me over,

However, it just feels as though no matter how hard I try to get a bit of money together, there are a dozen people standing waiting to take it away! :(

My money is all jumbled up in my head - and I just can't see how I'm going to make things work! (Did I mention that I'm moving to a new flat the end of the month - and also have a wedding booked for 2012?? - Along with the distinct prospect that jobs are looking pretty slim on the ground!)

Comments

• sillybillyme
    Options
    good luck with your new diary!!! :j

xxx
    I love to give homemade gifts. Which one of
    my kids do you want?
  • Nottoobadyet
    Nottoobadyet Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Best of luck! Sounds like you've had a tough time of it, hope things look up soon.
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
  • Crap_with_money.com
    Options
    Ooooohhhhh my first reply! :T:j Thanks sillybillyme - oh and :wave:

My self-pitying moan was rudely interrupted by the guy who lets me go on my break! (How ruuuuude!! ;)), I've now got work to do as well (Tsk!!), so I'll be back in a bit...............
  • Crap_with_money.com
    Options
    :wave: to you too nottoobadyet! :)
  • Crap_with_money.com
    Options
    I'm baaaaaaack!!!

Turns out I've to wait another 30 mins before lunch, so I've got some time to kill.

I'd gotten to be quite a good MSE-er (imho!) before I started uni, but I feel as though I've really let things slide! I think I've just had it in my head that everything was "on hold" this year, so I've just kind of plodded along! I had been hoping not to wrack up any more debt (apart from the student loan) while I was at uni, but i'm afraid that hasn't quite happened! :(

I'm not really sure where to start tbh - I can't do an SOA as I don't really have a proper income at the minute, and we don't move into the new flat until the 1st of Aug, maybe with my debts......

Bank loan: Approx £6k, will pop into bank at lunch and confirm
    CC no 1: £237.34 - min payment £25 at end of month
    CC no 2: approx £200 (Will check with OH tonight) £5 min payment
    Overdraft: -£484.34 (£15.62 avail til hit limit)
    OH: £100

Upcoming payments:

Wedding deposit: £375 (My half)
    registry to teaching council: £50
    Parking ticket :mad:: £30
    (many, many more - will update as I remember)

OH's 30th birthday

Incoming money:

????? from temp job, will be paid weekly, did 20 hours @£7/hr last week which will be paid tomorrow, but I've been put on a BR tax code, so god knows what'll come off of that!!!

£50 from uni books sold (meeting tonight to hand over)

Blargh!!! My head's still all fuzzy with it, I really, really need a budget spreadsheet, but there's just too much uncertainty until I actually start in school! :(
  • Crap_with_money.com
    Options
    OK - So I'm being a diary hog today - but then, it is my diary, so I suppose I can do what I like! :D

I've done some calculations, am I right in thinking that basic rate tax is 20%? If that's the case, provided they don't sort out my tax code before I finish this job in a couple of weeks, I stand to earn:

16/07/10 - £112.00
    23/07/10 - £190.40
    30/07/10 - £89.60 (Damn bank holiday!!!!)
    06/08/10 - £112.00

Grand total = £504 :(

Hopefully I should get the tax sorted though and get a tiny bit more than that, plus, there will be holiday pay on top of that which I'd estimate at about £10/week. I'd planned on finishing up on the 30th of July to give me time to do some prep for going back to school, but i'll see how it goes - if I can fit enough in, I'll maybe try and do at least a few more days! :D

I'm also due some tax back from last year, I've been waiting since May on a P11D form from my previous employer (**runs off to chase up old boss **).
  • Emma1988
    Emma1988 Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    i feel your pain!!! lack of money inbetween studying and working or going back to study... and those damn tax codes! and wedding payments! anyway, good luck! did you get a 0% interest overdraft when you were a student, and dont they let you have that for a while after? sorry if you have already tired and im just annoying you by saying that :( anyway i wish you all the luck in the world! big hugs! xxx
  • Crap_with_money.com
    Options
    Hi Emma :hello: - thanks for stopping by!!

Are you studying/getting married too?

You're not being a pain at all - all suggestions greatly received! :money: I don't actually have a student account. I have my main account with First Direct (Sad to say - but I absolutely love them as a bank!!), I looked into getting a student account, but I was worried it'd only allow me to get myself further into debt, since I'd probably be thinking "oh well, as long as it's interest free........"

The first £250 of my OD is interest free though, and it's only in the last 2 months that I've gone above that (which I'm actually really gutted about - but hey ho!!)

I suppose I could maybe look at getting a graduate account, maybe.......

OH and I have talked about opening a joint account anyway, we're moving in together properly at the end of the month, so planned on having a joint account to pay all of the bills out of. I really need to look into that - I should get myself a "to-do" list written!!

I just chased the temp agency again and got their PAYE reference, apparently that's all I need for the taxman to update my tax code, so I'll call them in my next break! :D

xx
  • Emma1988
    Emma1988 Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    I think you should definaetly look into a graduate account. I have a student account which is 1400, im currently 400 into it! But you dont need to take as much as i have out, just may help you to pay your wedding deposit etc without getting totally stressed out :) Im going into thrid year at the end of aug... just cant wait for my young student bursary and loan to come in!!! I work part time, well im only contracted for 4 hours... so basically anything more i get is a bonus, sometimes its 4, sometimes its 20... waiting on temp work at the moment... but as its as a carer im still waiting to start! Yep im getting married next june. and i think a joint account is the best way, me and my OH put in the same each month, altho if im abit short he puts in the odd tenner more... but if we go into the overdraft ( which is more often than not) we dont get charged more than a few quid a month!
    I know what you mean about loyalty to a bank... im the same with RBS, altho they are abit rubbish on the old ISA interest... i had a 0% CC owe about 250, just hoping to get it all cleared when i get my loan and YSB... and then start working more hours...
    its worth an ask with the graduate account!
    anyway why am i going on about me, its your diary! haha *zips mouth*
  • Crap_with_money.com
    Options
    Thanks Emma - I will do! :D I suppose it makes sense, I'm not paying much in interest at the moment, but I suppose every penny helps! ;)

Called and spoke to the taxman! (Or woman actually!) I've given them all my details and she's issued a new taxcode today - so hopefully I'll receive that in the next few days and it'll be sorted by next weeks pay! Fingers crossed anyway! You've no idea how gutted I was last week when they took tax off me - and it was only £16!! :o

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport