IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye - Aldi

Options
123457»

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This just shows the level of intelligence of PPC employees. They can't even subtract one figure from another correctly.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 October 2012 at 4:14PM
    Options
    My mother received a parking charge notice from Parking eye on the 18th of October 2012. After she and my father went shopping in an Aldi store in Bangor, North Wales. She is the registered keeper of the car. My father was driving on that occasion.

The notice says that parking charge amount of £70 is due. If paid with in 14 days the amount is reduced to £40. The notice looks fairly official to the untrained eye and has threats of action should you not pay. My mother paid £40 via the parking eye site with a debit card. Wrong thing to do I know but my parents are good genuine people this sort of thing gave them a fright.

The parking notice and claims that they had over stayed the minimum of 1 and a half hours. however they didn't. The charge notice shows pictures of the car entering and exiting the car park. The picture are time stamped showing that they entered the car park on 18/10/12 12:16:04 pm and exited at 12:52:27 pm, they only stayed for 37 mins. They also spent over £60 in store.

Now I'm for trying to claim the £40 back. Does anyone know the best way to go about it ?

Thanks in advance.

Hang on...maybe it was one of those car parks where you are supposed to put your car reg number into a machine even though the parking is free for that time. They may not have overstayed at all, but simply missed a 'carpy' sign about some pointless 'hoops' that unsuspecting customers have to jump through to shop there.

I would COMPLAIN to Aldi in writing or by email to the CEO at Head Office, about this protection racket ripping off and scaring paying customers. This is not on. The more people who individually complain about parking parasites picking on retail customers, the better. Supermarkets will realise in the end, the effect these regimes are having on their custom.

But to be sure of the position I would first phone up the number on the receipt and ask about the conditions of use of the car park, to find out if there was some sort of daft car reg system in place (a PE idea in order to trip more people up). If so, complain in writing to the CEO at Head Office about that and also ask to speak to the Store Manager whilst on the phone and tell him you are going to complain to his Head Office and that your parents are frightened to return now so he's lost their custom...unless he's prepared to reimburse them over this utter con.

There's a similar thread on here or on pepipoo forums this week - where the supposed 'notice' telling customers to put in their car reg was written on cardboard and left in the rain...invisible to most and of course the PPC have been coining it with their fake PCNs being taken seriously over it, often by the honest but naive older generation.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Maddogjones
    Options
    Thanks for all you're suggestions guys and gals. Very much appreciated.

@Coupon-mad You're right it is a 'enter reg number' car park. I went to do some recon this morning.. take pictures of signs etc. There are 8 signs dotted around the cark park none of these give mention to entering you reg number.

The only indication is a small 15" screen in store and a sign near the trolley bays which is pretty much hidden when all the trollies are in. Not something my parents would know how to use let alone notice.

So I'll make a complaint to parking eye and Aldi HQ mentioning everything including the pathetic signage. May even make mention on Aldi's facebook page and my own FB and twitter. These companies hate it when you blog them.

I'm not going to get anywhere but the more people that know about this sort thing the less money these slimey, sneeky, lowdown, filth riddled, pig dogs will make.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    Just complain to Aldi. Do not contact Parking Eye whatsoever.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • Maddogjones
    Options
    Have telephoned Aldi to ask for complaints address and procedure. Been told to send parking charge letter and shopping receipt to them for a refund.

thanks again for help and suggestions :beer:
  • marshamel
    Options
    Hi folks
    We have just received a parking charge notice from these people - we had parked in the car park and shopped in the store not realising you had to enter your registration number - never come across this system before - the charge notice says we over stayed and therefore need to pay £40 within 14 days or £70 after - any advice - feel quite aggreived at getting this and not noticing the system and it seems that even if you bother to contact them they are not interested. We were there for 31 minutes only shopping in the store.:o
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if the idiot at Aldi that signed these scammers up got fired ?
    After all a simple google would have flagged up that another supermarket was so desperate to be rid of these parasites they paid them off over a million pound just to be rid of them scamming customers.
    No sensible business person would get in to bed with such a company that had to be bought off because the supermarket was loosing customers hand over fist.
    I must wonder, at what point are Aldi going to realise the falling till takings are down to having these scammers robbing their customers of the money they wanted to spend in store.

Absolute and utter business suicide.

In store screen tucked away to enter your reg number or get scammed ?

Why not just ask them to vault the barrier and charge everyone £100 who can not.
    No less silly .

They will lose the share of the market they so desperately chase, people are not stupid.
    Be happy...;)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    marshamel wrote: »
    Hi folks
    We have just received a parking charge notice from these people - we had parked in the car park and shopped in the store not realising you had to enter your registration number - never come across this system before - the charge notice says we over stayed and therefore need to pay £40 within 14 days or £70 after - any advice - feel quite aggreived at getting this and not noticing the system and it seems that even if you bother to contact them they are not interested. We were there for 31 minutes only shopping in the store.:o

Hmmm....any advice...stop reading old threads from a year ago where the advice is now OUT OF DATE.

How about reading the current new threads on page one/two of the parking forum from today instead? We have threads on here newly-posted in their droves every single day and you've landed on a 2012 one and not hopped to the current threads yet?! Our newer threads include the long and eventful Aldi facebook thread which I won't link because it's better that you find your way around the forum.

Click on the breadcrumb trail blue link as described in my signature (below) and read, read, read! If you have any questions about appeals, complaints and POPLA once you have found the actual current forum advice then start you own thread on the front page as you will see you can (once you get off this ancient archive thread of out-of-date nonsense about ignoring it).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure