When to report bad parenting?

Options

Comments

• izzybusy23
    izzybusy23 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    Social Services work to thresholds; its all dependent on how high they set their thresholds; now the first time an incident is reported they may deem that its not 'bad enough' to reach that said threshold. However, if more incidents are reported about the same family, and more importantly via different agencies, it escalates into a much bigger picture which then raises the threshold for that case.

I agree with a previous poster. If you call and don't think its been taken seriously, call again, and again and again if you really think that the child is in serious risk of harm.

And whilst we are on the subject of social services; I know I am biased as I used to work for them, BUT social workers do a bloody hard job, they really do. They have so many cases, some very complex and they are constantly juggling balls.. they are incredibly overworked and definately underpaid for the job they do. Some social workers when dealing with urgent cases don't get home until the early hours, but still have to be at work the next day to work on their caseload. The incompetence, which has seen social workers getting slated recently, normally lies squarly at the foot of the managers.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    izzybusy23 wrote: »
    Social Services work to thresholds; its all dependent on how high they set their thresholds;.

I would query whether SS 'set' thresholds. IME, thresholds for action are set by the demands for services in each local area, the amount of staff available to act on these demands, the budget available for providing services, sick leave, maternity leave, the complexity of cases being dealt with, the legal requirements and obligations that go along with the complex cases, inspections etc etc.

I feel it is too simplistic to say that SS set thresholds as this IMO suggests that departments/workers have a say in the work they take on.

A couple of high profile intense cases, preparation for inspection and a couple of staff off sick will drive thresholds skyward.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    OP hasn't been back so maybe this is a wind up?

Pretty sad if it is but then if it gets people thinking...
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    OP hasn't been back so maybe this is a wind up?

Pretty sad if it is but then if it gets people thinking...

The OP has posted lots since the first post (not on this thread) and it does seem the OP likes to promote an argument/discussion
  • bestpud
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    The OP has posted lots since the first post (not on this thread) and it does seem the OP likes to promote an argument/discussion

It would be better if they simply used the discussion board rather than make up emotive rubbish imo!
  • Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Where she'll be taught how to cook so the ash doesn't fall into their pot noodle

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Funniest post ive seen in ages!

Personally if i had witnessed other behaviour then i would. Stuff like if the kids always look like they're dressed in rags. if they didnt have any shoes. If they were always wondering the streets for hours and hours (used to be a family near me that kicked their kids out of the house at 8am and let them back in at 6 for dinner).

I think its easy to establish a child that needs help from a child that doesnt in these circumstances as the family can make it quite obvious that they dont care for their children. Its in cases where abuse is more malicious and planned behind closed doors by 'normal' families thats harder to spot/report.

use your own common sense. if you think they are at risk then report them.
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    I do feel that the OP possibly made this up, but doesn't your heart go out to the kids.

I was in Morrison's yest. and this little lad of about 3 or 4 was asked to get some milk, he reached up and took a 6 pint whole milk off the top of the rack and proudly showed it to mum at the other end of the aisle. Mum then starts screaming at him, something along the lines of not that one..... His little face dropped he was so proud and it was really heavy, he put it back and mum marched up to him all the time screaming grabbed his arm and pulled him to the next rack and said what does that say... that one and picked a 4 pint! He couldn't read! I could have cried and my 2 walked off really embarrassed at the display.

You just know that in a fedw years he will be a little tearaway, sorry assumptions, but.

I would get exasperated with mine when they were little and would count to 10 to myself, but in this instance I would have said something along the lines of well done, that is heavy, but we have the smaller one don't we.
  • bestpud
    Options
    I do feel that the OP possibly made this up, but doesn't your heart go out to the kids.

I was in Morrison's yest. and this little lad of about 3 or 4 was asked to get some milk, he reached up and took a 6 pint whole milk off the top of the rack and proudly showed it to mum at the other end of the aisle. Mum then starts screaming at him, something along the lines of not that one..... His little face dropped he was so proud and it was really heavy, he put it back and mum marched up to him all the time screaming grabbed his arm and pulled him to the next rack and said what does that say... that one and picked a 4 pint! He couldn't read! I could have cried and my 2 walked off really embarrassed at the display.

You just know that in a fedw years he will be a little tearaway, sorry assumptions, but.

I would get exasperated with mine when they were little and would count to 10 to myself, but in this instance I would have said something along the lines of well done, that is heavy, but we have the smaller one don't we.

I've witnessed similar scenes and I always feel like crying too!

A similar thing happened with dd the other week as I asked her to grab 3 thick sliced loaves and said it was the one with the green banner. It was heaving in the bread aisle so I wanted to get out of the way with the trolley.

Anyway, she looked around and picked up some bread in a green bag, proudly waving it at me to say she'd found it, so I had to go back with her and show her what I meant by the green banner. She'd have been mortified if I'd shouted at her for getting it wrong - I don't know why any parent would want to do that to their child! :(

I often think these parents would benefit from being shown film footage, complete with sound, of the way they act...

Some would just laugh it off but I think many would be truly horrified at how they come across to their children.
  • izzybusy23
    izzybusy23 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    I would query whether SS 'set' thresholds. IME, thresholds for action are set by the demands for services in each local area, the amount of staff available to act on these demands, the budget available for providing services, sick leave, maternity leave, the complexity of cases being dealt with, the legal requirements and obligations that go along with the complex cases, inspections etc etc.

I feel it is too simplistic to say that SS set thresholds as this IMO suggests that departments/workers have a say in the work they take on.

A couple of high profile intense cases, preparation for inspection and a couple of staff off sick will drive thresholds skyward.

I know what I am talking about; I worked for them.
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    It makes me so sad to hear little ones being treated so badly. Have no faith in SS, they couldn't care less. Too busy picking on disabled families with no issues. While kids are beaten, starved and abused on sink estates where social workers refuse to go in case their shiny new cars get scatched. Its madness.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family