MSE News: Overseas mobile phone costs cut for Euro travellers

in Mobiles
13 replies 1.7K views
Former_MSE_GuyFormer_MSE_Guy Former MSE
1.7K Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Cuts in EU call charges have came into force, coupled with new rules to stop users racking up huge mobile internet bills ..."

Replies

• Jon_01Jon_01 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see the 50 euro limit on data creating more problems than it cures?
  • robt_2robt_2 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just can't wait for something else to go up in price to compensate.
  • JimmycJimmyc Forumite
    164 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    £49 / €50 is still a huge rip off. Imagine if you payed that every month thats £600 a year, for something which should cost next to nothing. Go to a Mcdonalds and use free Wi-fi

all mobile phone companies are always greedy though, these 18/24/36 month contracts annoy me the most.
  • robt_2robt_2 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you paid it every month you would be a complete idiot for not having a local sim card.
  • gjchestergjchester Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jimmyc wrote: »
    all mobile phone companies are always greedy though, these 18/24/36 month contracts annoy me the most.

Well it Europe had kept there noises out of data roaming, texting, and calling cost we'd still have 12 month contracts.

As Robt says something *WILL* go up in price to compensate for this to ensure the profits don't fall for the shareholders. Mobile companies are businesses they exist to make money not for altruistic reasons.
  • Snakeeyes21Snakeeyes21
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jimmyc wrote: »
    £49 / €50 is still a huge rip off. Imagine if you payed that every month thats £600 a year, for something which should cost next to nothing. Go to a Mcdonalds and use free Wi-fi

But surely any sensible person would pick up a local sim when they get to their destination
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least MSE Guy has managed to get VAT in the tariffs this time, after it was initially missed it from the recent article

It seems MSE staff aren't trained to reply or say thank you.
  • lozzamanlozzaman Forumite
    292 Posts
    But surely any sensible person would pick up a local sim when they get to their destination

For data? Absolutely!

I heard that Vodafone Ireland actually allow data roaming in many countries for no extra costs on their SIMs so was tempted to give that a go. Their website is a bit of a mess and you can find bits that suggest this is the case and parts where it mentions a per MB rate.
  • nohatmannohatman Forumite
    2 Posts
    I recently arrived in New York with my mother. We both got network text messages within moments of each other. Mine from Tmobile - my long standing provider on monthly contract - said my calls in and out would cost £1.20 per minute.

My mother, on a Tesco PAYG phone, go a message saying the costs for calls in and out would be 63p per minute.

What on earth is going on!?
  • edited 12 August 2010 at 6:48PM
    rapidorapido Forumite
    392 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 12 August 2010 at 6:48PM
    . .
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News