Options
124»

Comments

• nigem
    nigem Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lemon_Tree wrote: »
    i do use talc but i have to say it's not always the best solution, my mum has used the canestan talc before, but when i went they recomended the lanacaine stuff but i found that it hurt a fair bit when i used it.
    Hope you find a solution and can share it with us.

Talc can be too drying, cream is probably best. If it is red/sore then your skin can split and that is painful. If not treated as a fungal (same as athletes foot) condition then the skin will get thinner and be more prone to splitting etc.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The thing is, talc is fine if you wear white clothing but for those of us sticking to darker colours or even pastle colours its not so great- you only have to roll a top over your head to get both sides covered on white streaks! ( I can't wear white as white looks daft on me as I have a VERY yellow and pale skin tone and it makes me look unwell- I get comments!)

I stick to the Sure Maximum protection deoderant which can still streak clothes white but its to a lesser degree. Failing that I just make sure I am clean and the sweat I do get doesn't smell! (Body sweat does not smell- its the bacteria on your skin which makes it smell).

Tea tree oil wipes are another God send.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Useful advice!

Personally I think the only chain store that has decent bra fitters is bravissimo, and absolutely the best thing anyone can do is familiarise themselves with how a bra should fit and how the sizing works, so that they can fit themselves wherever they go.

I put no store in bra fitting. Blue Monkey will find 99% of people in the wrong sized bra but that is because bra sizes are totally inconsistent. I measure a 36 but wear a 34 or 32 because a 36 would ride up horrendously, this is because sizes have got bigger and bras have got stretchier. I have bras that fit in my draw that range from a DD to an F and in 32s and 34s. The style of the bra and the shape of your breasts will make a difference to the fitting too.

Most people wear too big a back size and too small a cup size. Next time you try on a bra, pick up one that is a back size smaller and a cup size bigger (or maybe even two) and see how it looks. Try about four different sizes before you buy.

*Oh and the Freya Active Sports Bra is AMAZING!

I agree that bras and sizing has changed. I never add on 4 inches if I measure, I add on 2, but the catalogues will not tel you that. I never tell anyone their size until after they have been fitted - otherwise they'll tell me they are not that size!!

The thing is, while sizes ARE inconsistant (I gree with this) ladies should know WHAT TO LOOK FOR in a good fitting bra, I always, always explain the best way to put it on and how it should sit while on, I make ladies try on a number of bras so they can see what is a good and what is a bad fit - it is important to see how they should not fit too, but once you have been educated in how a good bra fits then the size is irrelevant, ladies will think that every 32B or every 34FF will fit them but this is not the case, they might be 32G in one bra but 34FF in another.

I've started fitting loads of mums from school - it has been word of mouth as the kids go to a church school and would not let me advertise there - and I walk across the playground and they are all talking about bras and boobs and I've seen 2 tonight telling their friend as they were fitted this morning. Just makes me smile.

I'd love to go into schools in year 11 and educate girls in how to get the best fitting bras and what to look out for as bra health is important - especially in growing girls. The average size now is a FF cup believe it or not.
  • donquine
    donquine Posts: 695 Forumite
    Options
    These days, I will only buy from Bravissimo and I will get measured and fitted each time. The bigger your cup size, the more discrepencies there are between different brands and styles and I really can't be doing with the faff of taking a punt about buying a bra online, only to have it arrive and despite being the correct size, see it just doesn't flatter. Proper bra fitters are great and will tell you if a particular style does not get on with your shape and can recommend brands/styles that have cups that are closer together/further apart than the norm.

I'm happy to wear Primark tops, but there's no way I would wear a cheapy bra. The difference is, a cheap top won't give you backache!

Interestingly, I think a lot of women assume their back size should be a bigger number than it actually is - whether that's down to us all thinking we're fatter than we really are, I'm not quite sure, but the part of our torso just underneath our breasts can actually be quite narrow compared to our tummies. If the back size is quite loose, it may feel comfy at first, but it'll mean the bra rides up and you don't get support for your breasts, so it does end up being quite painful after all.

If anyone knows of an alternative to the coconut powder, I'd be interested. I'm allergic to coconut unfortunately, so I think using this would give me a bigger problem than a bit of sweat! I do agree that a well fitting bra helps make the problem less severe, but it doesn't solve it completely.

I dream of the day that I'm rich enough to wander into Rigby and Peller and buy my bras there... :D I'll settle for Bravissimo for now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure