We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Orange don't want to give me MAC code help!

Options
So i don't really understand all the jargon but just phoned Orange to get my MAC code and they said they can't give it to me anymore cos I'm on LLU(???) . Do i need the MAC to move ISP or not?
I'm starting to really hate Orange and for the last few days the line has been SOOOOO slow.. Anybody else experienced that?
Any help and recommendation is welcome. I'm thinking of Madsafish offer ...
A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)

Comments

• C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    im sure u do need the MAC to move isp,

LLU is Local Loop Unbundling, i cant explain it though but try this site

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/Oftel/publications/broadband/dsl_facts/LLUbackground.htm
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    froggy27 wrote:
    So i don't really understand all the jargon but just phoned Orange to get my MAC code and they said they can't give it to me anymore cos I'm on LLU(???) . Do i need the MAC to move ISP or not?

This seems to be the latest ploy by Orange to try to stop customers defecting. Without a MAC, you would have to cancel and wait until your ADSL service has been removed before applying as a new customer with another provider. This means that you may be subject to another connection fee, as BT will have to provision ADSL on the line again.

:eek:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the dirty rotten scoundrels
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Minerva69
    Options
    Orange have signed up to Ofcom's industry code of practice regarding broadband migration: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/codes/bbm_cop/

Perhaps it would help if you mentioned this when phoning to ask for your MAC? It seems the code of practice is voluntary but it might help if you threatened to report them to Ofcom if you don't get your MAC.

Although having just looked at http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk it seems that a lot of people are having problems getting their MACs, and when they do get one it doesn't work :mad:

Sorry couldn't be of more help froggy27, let us know how you get on. And yes, I'm still with Orange and it's been really slow here too!
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Minerva69 wrote:
    Orange have signed up to Ofcom's industry code of practice regarding broadband migration: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/codes/bbm_cop/

They may have signed up to it but there are definitely problems regarding this, see here.

:eek:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Options
    They are obviously using any method possible to stop the exordous leaving....
  • mhendo
    mhendo Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    Even if you got Orange to supply an LLU MAC (which not all LLU ISPs do), then you'd be lucky to find an ISP that actually accepts them. Because the whole LLU migration process is manual (not automated like IPstream outbound migrations), its more cost effective for ISPs to ask you to cease your current service first.
  • valli2
    valli2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I recently migrated from the farce that is Orange to IDNet with an LLU MAC code it took longer than a usual MAC 12 days in all but no downtime , you must pressure them for it i was initially told it wud be emailed to me within 48 hrs it wasn't then was told it would take 10 days as theres a backlog and there was nothing they cud do and they hung up on 2 occasions so i wrote an online complaint on the ISPA site got the auto reply minutes later saying it had been passed on to Orange hour later got an email from Orange saying they had recieved my complaint that afternoon my LLU MAC arrived in my inbox 10 days had turned into 4 hours. I do know that at the moment they are giving out invalid LLU MACS simply wasting time. :rolleyes:
    Good Luck to those escaping from Orange
    Regards
    Steve
    *Steve*
    With be*
  • froggy27_2
    Options
    hi Steve, valli2. I'm not sure what the ISPA is, can you explain? so that i can do the same as they do not want to give me the MAC code and i can't really be off line for too long. thanks a lot.
    A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
    Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)
  • valli2
    valli2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    froggy27 wrote:
    hi Steve, valli2. I'm not sure what the ISPA is, can you explain? so that i can do the same as they do not want to give me the MAC code and i can't really be off line for too long. thanks a lot.

Hi heres the link ISPA to fill in a online complaint form the ISPA then forward it to Orange.

Good Luck
    Regards

Steve
    *Steve*
    With be*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income