Regular Payments off a Credit Card Discussion

Comments

• tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    my friend was in a smilar situation her ex husband used this method to pay AOL, they split up, AOL refused to talk to her about it as it was in her ex husbands name. Her bank the said there was nothing they could do and in the end she was advised by the bank to close that account and open another one, get the switch card back off her ex ( easier said then done) and hope she wasn't black listed !!! I would never use this method after all the trouble she went through
  • The only CPA I have is with AOL, and as others have had problems with them I have just been to online help and changed my payment method to direct debit from next billing date. I have also printed out the conversation with the representative confirming the change incase of problems. I am appalled that I could have problems if I want to change ISP, but hopefully if I change to direct debit now, come cancellation time it should be ok. Thanks for this info Martin, seems to me it borders on robbery if you can't cancel!
  • cymro1170
    cymro1170 Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Reported for spamming
  • leaphaze
    leaphaze Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have CPAs setup for 1899, 18866, OneTell (now TalkTalk) and v21 (ISP), and have had no problems. I once forgot to tell v21 about a credit card renewal and lost it's service because they could no longer put through any payments on the old card since it had expired. I'm not sure whether this was because the transaction was actually rejected or if the credit card expiry date supplied by me stopped the transaction in the first place.

If you have a cahoot web card you could always setup a card for, say 1p, then transfer your CPA to that. I assume the website will check for the cards existance but not it's credit limit.
    Wearing my other one today.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    leaphaze wrote:
    If you have a cahoot web card you could always setup a card for, say 1p, then transfer your CPA to that.
    This doesn't change anything. See, for example, this thread: Safer System for online spending discussion area .

Cahood webcard is cancelled after the transaction. However, cancellation of any card, including cahoot webcard, cannot stop company to take money from your CC account if you authorised them to do this before cancellation.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    benjamin wrote:
    What a coincidence - I just logged on to discuss this very topic and ask for advice.

18 months ago I paid off my Egg credit card and actually _closed_ the account.

Today I received a letter from my bank about a current account that I no longer use, telling me that it's £100 overdrawn. It seems that Egg have been taking £5 a month from the account.

So, I phone Egg. Apparently, they have been paying AOL £17 a month for the last 18 months - even though the credit card account is closed!

To me, this seems baffling that a) Egg still have the right to debit my current account even though I have terminated my associated with them, and b) been able to pay money out on my behalf for this entire period.

Surely they aren't allowed to do this? I'm genuinely and absolutely gutted about this.

Yes they can do it and do, do it. Even if you shut the credit card account down it still remains active for at least a couple of years. The reason being to cover CPA's. Such as Magazine subs etc.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Reported as spam
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • yogiberr
    yogiberr Posts: 173 Forumite
    hiya,

I have a decent credit rating.
    I was thinking of getting a 0% 12 month credit card and setting up a CPA to pay my mortgagage.
    In the menatime, my dough would be working in high interest accounts..At the end of the 12 months, I'd pay off in full..

Is the above possible, and could I make overpayments to my mortgage free of charge on my credit card?

Many thanks,

yogi
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    AFAIK majority of mortgage providers require direct debit payments and don't accept credit card payments. The best you can do is to ask your provider.
  • yogiberr
    yogiberr Posts: 173 Forumite
    Thanks,

Will do.In the meantime I had applied for the GE card and gor knocked back..strange.

yogi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport