We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Sky to block cheap calls

Options
13»

Comments

• flyforfun
    flyforfun Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    I am afraid that you may have unwittingly proved my point there !

Most of the "cheaper" providers are still actually using a BT line, if there is a problem they will have to get BT to fix it. For all their faults, BT will probably fix their own customer's faults first and "cheaper" will end up meaning worse for the rest.

Actually, I think it's "Open Reach" who service the lines now. BT has split in two, the service provider (BT) and the physical line provider (Open Reach), much like you can buy your gas from whoever, but Transco (I think) a responsible for the pipes etc.

Last time I had a fault with my line I was advised it would cost £90 odd pounds if it turned out to be a fault with my equipment. (It wasn't). A work mate with TalkTalk had a fault was was told he'd have to pay £90 as well if the fault was on his side, so this is the fee Open Reach charge all the phone service companies. I'd be surprised if they took BT calls over another other carriers as they would have service level agreements to meet, ie fix call within x number of days etc. That's pretty much the norm in telcos.
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now I see why they split in two. Its a money maker for them! Surely, OFCOM could do something if lots of people complained, considering its unfair that you have to pay £90 for a faulty line that THEY installed, and upon the first installation, you also paid out!
  • Goodjob
    Goodjob Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the combined package from sky - Broadband/Phone Calls/TV but my line rental is with BT. Will I be impacted?

Ive been using 18185 for a few years and found it to provide an excellent service whereas my phone bill rose significantly when I originally switched to sky. Can anyone recomend another option if I lose the 18185 option with sky?

Thanks

Do what you have to do, so you can do what you want to do.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Goodjob wrote: »
    I have the combined package from sky - Broadband/Phone Calls/TV but my line rental is with BT. Will I be impacted?
    No, BT is the only line provider required to allow access to all indirect access providers.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure