We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Sky to block cheap calls

Options

Comments

• waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That depends though doesnt it. We're moving to O2 and BT(line rental), as we had a VM connection in the house and an inactive BT line. When we called Orange(we were thinking of going to them first), they told us to get BT to install the line for us, and then we could get BB

Any way, like us, there are many people who rarely have the need to use 18185.co.uk or other sites, as lots of people no longer use landlines and a lot of numbers can also be found through the saynoto0870 database

For this reason, you may as well move your line from BT for a cheaper service, if you're like us and rarely use the home telephone
  • hairymonster2000
    Options
    Why not just open an account with a voip provider like mydivert.com. UK landline calls 0.8 euro cent per minute and mobiles at 8.5 euro cent a minute - no connection fees.
  • waqasahmed
    Options
    For those that rarely use the telephone, its not really worth paying for a VOIP phone is it :D
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    waqasahmed wrote: »
    For this reason, you may as well move your line from BT for a cheaper service,

I am afraid that you may have unwittingly proved my point there !

Most of the "cheaper" providers are still actually using a BT line, if there is a problem they will have to get BT to fix it. For all their faults, BT will probably fix their own customer's faults first and "cheaper" will end up meaning worse for the rest.
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    I am afraid that you may have unwittingly proved my point there !

Most of the "cheaper" providers are still actually using a BT line, if there is a problem they will have to get BT to fix it. For all their faults, BT will probably fix their own customer's faults first and "cheaper" will end up meaning worse for the rest.

The maintenance of the lines is carried out by a division called Openreach who don't know who the client is, so there's no advantage in being with BT from that perspective.
  • waqasahmed
    Options
    This is what would normally happen if your BT line isnt working
    1. You call your ISP(normally your ISP) from another phone, and tell them of your problem
    2. The ISP contacts BT
    3. BT will then get Openreach out to fix the line

If you are with BT, you simply get a quicker service. I cant say if their service is any good though, as we have only just got a BT line installed
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    waqasahmed wrote: »
    This is what would normally happen if your BT line isnt working
    1. You call your ISP(normally your ISP) from another phone, and tell them of your problem
    2. The ISP contacts BT
    3. BT will then get Openreach out to fix the line

If you are with BT, you simply get a quicker service. I cant say if their service is any good though, as we have only just got a BT line installed

The Non BT Supplier contacts Openreach direct.
  • waqasahmed
    Options
    Then, there really is no point in going to BT, unless of course they have a better service than others, and unless of course you are moving to an ADSL line, where you didnt already have an ADSL line :D
  • flyforfun
    flyforfun Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    What's the fuss? Just because you have dial a few extra numbers? :question: Can't you use the 08xx numbers instead?

I use Telediscount or Telestunt and pay 1p for calls to Oz. When I came over here 19 years ago I was paying £1 a minute at payphone. When Mercury started it went down to 25p (and having to stand on a very cold street corner!!!) then the bypass numbers started.

Basically, everyone has to assess whether it's worth the hassle and cost and decide to switch back to BT or not. It's one of the reasons I stayed, but then my calls rarely amount to over £3 a quarter.
  • waqasahmed
    Options
    Im only assuming that there will probably be other companies that will pop up as a result of this, and people would probably still be able to access cheap calls. This would now probably become a cat and mouse game, if companies starting popping up here and there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport