MSE News: Sky to block cheap calls

in Phones & TV
24 replies 4.3K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The satellite firm will no longer allow customers to override its system and use prefix numbers to cut costs from July ..."
Read the full story:
Sky to block cheap calls

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're talking about Sky here. Is anyone surprised at this news?

I've already re-written my daughter's Orchid program but she'll still end up paying more than if she'd left her line rental with BT.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • edited 25 June 2010 at 5:36PM
    OldGreyFoxOldGreyFox Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    edited 25 June 2010 at 5:36PM
    Heinz wrote: »
    Is anyone surprised at this news?

I doubt it. It was posted on here in April and has been discussed a couple of times since.;)

Heres the link to the 18185 service you can still use http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php
    via their 0808 freephone number. ( different rates apply).
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    37.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Virgin Media says, like with the upcoming Sky policy, you cannot access 18185 via its lines unless you dial its 0808 alternative number. For other prefix numbers, it recommends you call to check."

The above is a quote from Archna's article (so thats what she looks like! Love the free games, Archna, I wish they weren't so addictive tho :) )

Anyway .... I'm with Virgin, for my sins, and I didn't know anything about this 0808 alternative number of theirs. Hands up who else is surprised. Anyone? Anyone? Can anyone enlighten me how to muck about with getting a discount number? Tho I have been able to dial a discount number to speak to France, I've not been able to do it to get a discount to a mobile number in this country.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021..........
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • edited 25 June 2010 at 10:59PM
    HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 June 2010 at 10:59PM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Anyway .... I'm with Virgin, for my sins, and I didn't know anything about this 0808 alternative number of theirs. Can anyone enlighten me how to muck about with getting a discount number?

When it goes live, dial 0808 1 703 703 and listen for instructions on how to proceed.

Dial the UK mobile number you want to contact.

The cost will be 5p connection + 6p/minute at weekends or 5p connection + 10p/minute during the week.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    37.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Heinz!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021..........
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • stonemanstoneman Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this is considered as Sky substantially altering the T&C so allowing you to cancel (or negotiate)
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    stoneman wrote: »
    I wonder if this is considered as Sky substantially altering the T&C so allowing you to cancel (or negotiate)

Only BT have to provide access to indirect access codes the fact that Sky did was bunce.

Although you probaly had a chance to get out of your contract recently when Sky changed evening calls start time from 6 to 7pm.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Recent OFCOM ruling means it will cost 70% less to cancel any landline contract - you only pay a small proportion of the remaining term rental instead of the full contracted amount. Wonder if this can apply to whole Sky package too?

This news just reconfirms for me, stick to BT for landline, though I am now looking at Primus too as they do allow 18185 prefix. Then again, how long for I wonder?
  • Stuart_WStuart_W Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    For short UK calls or daytime mobile calls, Telesave's 0800 override service beats 18185's 0808 override number.

http://www.telesave.co.uk/athome/national.htm
    To join up: 0800 066 4000 from the phone you want to register
    A £10 credit/debit card top up necessary
    To make a call: 0800 066 2266

UK National Daytime 1.5p/min
    UK National Evening 1p/min
    UK National Weekend 1pmin
    UK Mobile * (any time/any day) 9.5p/min
    No connection fee, 4p min call charge.
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lot easier and cheaper, and more options to stay with BT for line rental !
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion