We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Friday 25th June - What small DFW things have you done today?!

pixiechick99
pixiechick99 Posts: 3,745 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 25 June 2010 at 7:00AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free :money:

Examples could be charging your phone up at work instead of at home to save your electricity, hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :D:D

Gooood morning evveryone!!
A little early for me to be up, dressed and showered:eek:...but my new freezer's being delivered between 7 and 11 so have to be ready just in case it's prompt! Excited about it - how sad, excited about filling a freezer:rotfl:
Also....my DD2 is coming home this afternoon...hooray, I've missed her, but by the soyunds of the daily school reports and her postcard, they are having a brilliant time - weather's been perfect.

Ok, must crack on.
Big waves to you regulars....and huge welcomes to any new posters;);)

Today:
  • check banking
  • daily scratch
  • meal from plan tonight - HM chicken curry
  • hoover/sweep downstairs
  • ring hospital yet again about my post-op 6week appt (that they havent bothered to send me:mad:)...but they don't answer the phone!
  • make a space for my new freezer
  • admire said freezer
  • start washing when dd2's back
  • NSD hopefully!!
Ok, that's all for now...have a lovely, sunny day:D
I really need to sort out a new signature!
«134

Comments

  • stitching_witch
    stitching_witch Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 25 June 2010 at 7:48AM
    Morning all and thanks to milly for starting the thread. I didn't post yesterday as it was just usual stuff, but looks like I've beaten Jo today.


    So far I have:
    • sent DH to Mr Ts late last night whilst I had an early night. He spent loads of money on a "big shop" but I don't count it as I didn't spend my money :D
    • not needed to run WM or DW last night
    • checked banking
    • checked for surveys - they've been non-exsitant for days now
    • had home-made granola with allotment strawberries for breakfast :)
    I will also:
    • phone council as they've calculated my 4 week run-on benefit using the wrong figures. It's only about £14 but it's MY £14!
    • encourage the girlies to lay more than 2 eggs today as I have customers waiting. Production has halved since they moved to their permanent run which is a bit of a worry.:o
    • take lunch in to work
    • have an NSD
    • have a pleasant day at work as the two bosses aren't in and I can relax and potter around
    I'm looking forward to tomorrow as I'm looking after DGD and will be having a big luch party with DS2 from Oxford, DD, DGS and DGD. Happy, sunny Saturday for us :T
    Making magic with fabric
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • catmiaow
    catmiaow Posts: 5,954 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 25 June 2010 at 10:17PM
    Morning all,

    My list for today.

    Hand in letter at estate agents and post copy to head office - posted it instead
    [STRIKE]Check banking[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Get OH to pay me board
    Order food shop - going to shop for it tonight
    OH treating me to dinner[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Go to work :(
    Pay in work cheque
    Post work letters
    Post tax refund letter recorded delivery
    Pop stuff into my nans and vacuum for her - Won't be seeing her on Monday[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]See to pet, tidy after them - no runs this morning wooo
    Take rubbish out[/STRIKE]
    See if washing machine is full enough to go on - will hang to dry if goes on - washing only half full poss on tomorrow

    Hope everyone has a good day
    No you're not a vegetarian if you eat any animal or fish, so do not insult genuine veggies by calling yourself one! :mad:

    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions. You are the stars of the board :T:j:T
  • Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Today I will

    - Daily cards
    - Check online banking
    - Store Cupboard food, all day
    - LSD
    - Contact lens check up
    - Visit Gym
    - Hang washing on the line
    - File bank statements
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,884 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 June 2010 at 10:15PM
    Morning everyone! Speacially happy today as its Friday :j:j:j am sitting here in my dressing gown drinking coffee as I don't start work until 12 :j, and my best friend is in town visiting her mum for a few days so we're meeting for coffee before I go to work :j although down side is I am working till 8 but hey ho can't have everything! I didn't get to meet my friend :( as it was much harder than we had thought finding the place to drop off the course work...


    So today
    • [STRIKE]waiting for hot water to heat up and then super quick shower[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]drive ds to drop off course work[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]text friend and get her to come to mine so its free coffee[/STRIKE] ;)
    • [STRIKE]put ham hock in sc for tea[/STRIKE] :D
    • [STRIKE]drive carefully to & from work[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]make lunch & snacks for work[/STRIKE] used the last of the ham. I'm getting better at this marlarky ;)
    • [STRIKE]put load of washing on [/STRIKE][STRIKE]and line dry before work[/STRIKE]
    • do some more in the spare room tonight
    • water plants
    • repot toms (this is my only priority today :o)
    • [STRIKE]check for surveys (if I have time)[/STRIKE]
    • add titles to lovefilm
    • [STRIKE]charge phone at work (am forced to as can't find my one at home ;))[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]work out cc 1 & cc2 payments from which account[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]post 2 ebay parcels[/STRIKE] yay so happy I did this. Saw the parcels at 5.05 and nipped up to po!
    • [STRIKE]contact savings acc and ask if they have received my cheque and process for paying money in :j its been soooooo long since I've had savings![/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]made payment to vitual sealed pot[/STRIKE]:j
    ok that's all I can think of! Yay 8 more working hours until freedom :j


    Ok not sure very much more is gonna get done but I did:
    • remembered to bring home the milk I bought on Wed that has been sitting in work fridge since :o
    • 2 frozen garlic bread baggettes that I bought months ago and have been sitting in work freezer :o:o
    • took some strawberry, raspberrys & mango and orange fruit juice to make smoothies for breakfast (they would have gone off otherwise ;)) :j
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2026: £25.70
    Grocery spend challenge Feb £285.11/£250
    GC annual £389.25/£2700
    Eating out budget: £ 48.87/£300
    Extra cash earned 2026: £185
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Good Morning All :hello:
    from a very sunny but very cold Africa :D I'm back here, the house is full of the landlords workers who have opened all the windows and doors to let the paint dry - they were supposed to have finished but TIA ;)And the only escape I can think of is to wander around a shopping mall :eek:
    Still, I'm pretty good at window shopping from all my years practice.....

    So today I have/will:
    ask the workers if they can fix the baffle board so that we can light a fire.
    tonight I will roast vegetables to warm up the kitchen (it's only cold 8 weeks of the year so they haven't bothered with installing heating :rotfl:)
    and we'll curl up under blankets in front of the rubbish telly. If the fire works I'll get my knitting out - oh we know how to live :D
    I'll wander around the shops and see if I can find in chrome a particular decoration I've seen only in black......
    And I MUST catch up on some correspondence, I have loads of thank-yous to write.

    Enjoy your summer :rotfl: and have a great day :A
  • Triangle
    Triangle Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Good morning all :hello:

    Sorry for not posting the past few days, have been working 12 hour shifts so not much to contribute! But all smiles here, my final piece of assessed work for my first year has come back (the exam I did)...70! So in total I have received 75, 70, 70, 70! :j All the hard work appears to have paid off...and I can truly have a lovely summer! :j


    My list then for today:
    • Checked online banking...DH wages have gone through, budget planning required
    • Received my payslip yesterday although money not yet through... tax code was finally been sorted out...and a nice little tax refund too :)
    • Need to pop to Tescos to get bits for a picnic tomorrow
    • Also wash and hoover out car
    • Last bits of packing...holiday tomorrow :)
    • Clean out fridge
    • Housework
    • Washing at 30 and line dry
    • Bits in garden, mainly tidying up
    • Long walk with pup on beach
    • Friend popping over for a cup of tea and a catch up
    • Tax Credits renewal form to do and post
    • Some phone calls and texts using free minutes
    • Lovely relaxing bath and also paint nails
    • Meal with mum and dad tonight, also pop in and see cousin as its her birthday
    • Wrap said cousins presents
    That's certianly enough to get started with!

    Have a lovely day all
    T
    x
    MFW!
    Started 1/12/22 - £196,000

    Saving targets 2023
    Mortgage Overpayment £0/£2000
    Bathroom £0/£2000
    Big Birthday Trip £0/£2000
    Long Term Saving Pot £0/£2000
  • josiebabie
    josiebabie Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Goooooood morning!
    So today I am getting back on the DFW trail this morning as I fell off the wagon briefly. Today is payday and my first month of budgeting as a single mother. Although ex hasn't officially left yet it all starts here...and I'm quite excited!

    So today I have/will:-
    - Check banking
    - Check dates for payments and see which I can put off til the last minute awaiting tax credits
    - HW and TV etc off all day
    - Keep up with invoicing, can't do WIP today as parts stock check
    - Lunch/snacks from stores
    - Contemplate whether to go to Mr T's or not for potatos and milk
    - Try to work out a meal plan for a single person next month
    - Try to attempt a shopping list?

    Lovely sunny day today, lets enjoy it!!!
    Jx
    Nothing to report as yet...give me a minute...!
  • pixiechick99
    pixiechick99 Posts: 3,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Triangle wrote: »
    Good morning all :hello:

    Sorry for not posting the past few days, have been working 12 hour shifts so not much to contribute! But all smiles here, my final piece of assessed work for my first year has come back (the exam I did)...70! So in total I have received 75, 70, 70, 70! :j All the hard work appears to have paid off...and I can truly have a lovely summer! :j


    T
    x

    Oooooooooooooh you clever thing...well done!:beer::beer:
    You worked so hard, you deserve the fab marks. I'm struggling to get mtoivated to finish my year off - I have deferred it until August but have so much to do, I honestly don't see me doing it all and am seriously wondering whether to quit now, save myself the stress....am meant to be taking it easy after my op, but I'm worrying lots about it:(
    Anyway, enough of my moaning....this was meant to be a congrats post to you!!!:T:T
    I really need to sort out a new signature!
  • {{{hugs}}} Milly x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2026: £25.70
    Grocery spend challenge Feb £285.11/£250
    GC annual £389.25/£2700
    Eating out budget: £ 48.87/£300
    Extra cash earned 2026: £185
  • pixiechick99
    pixiechick99 Posts: 3,745 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    {{{hugs}}} Milly x

    Thank you DNMS...I need the hug!!
    Am happy as my freezer's just arrived...I now need my Asda cc to come so I can book an online delivery for next week and fill the freezer....exciting eh?:rotfl:
    I've just emailed my tutor, waffling on about my sheer panic to her...lucky lady. I think I'm mad sometimes putting myself through this, I need a massive kick up the backside;)
    I really need to sort out a new signature!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.