PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Offer accepted - vendor won't take off market

Options

Comments

• delmar39
    delmar39 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    Options
    Yep this is something I would do, once you've got the valuation done it means you're prepared to commit financially, so this seems fine. Get the valuation done, mortgage arranged and you'll be sorted. Look at it from their point of view. You may know you're serious, but they don't, not yet anyway.
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Options
    RX-78 wrote: »
    Make sure you have it in writing that the vendour will take the property off the market when the survey is booked.

Did you put your offer in writing? There was a thread here before about formalizing an offer and you can put that as part of the condition of offer.

Irrelevant as means nothing until contracts are exchanged

Just get your side done very quickly to avoid anyone else beating you to the exchange
    If you don;t like it find another house i guess

Not sure what else you can do?
  • RX-78
    RX-78 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Irrelevant as means nothing until contracts are exchanged

Just get your side done very quickly to avoid anyone else beating you to the exchange
    If you don;t like it find another house i guess

Not sure what else you can do?

In terms of house buying it may mean nothing. But I would think in terms of contractural agreement to take the house off the market as part of condition of offer it may allow the buyer to sue the vendour for cost.

Again, as I'm not legal expert, I'm only guessing.
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    In terms of house buying it may mean nothing. But I would think in terms of contractural agreement to take the house off the market as part of condition of offer it may allow the buyer to sue the vendour for cost.

There is no binding contract until contracts are exchanged so it means nothing unfortunately under our current system

If it makes someone feel like they are doing something then fine but certainly shouldn't be relied on. You can put whatever conditions you like in a contract but both parties have to agree to be bound by that contract
  • RX-78
    Options
    Agreed its something that shouldn't be relied upon. But as I said its better then doing nothing and it will only cost you the price of fax.

p.s. Isn't accepting the offer regarded as accepting the terms of the offer?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 June 2010 at 5:21PM
    Options

You are guessing wrong.It means absolutely nothing as we found out.All our solicitor could do was write a snotty letter to the EA and complain about him to some sort of EA organisation(Cant remember what they were called) but it didnt get us anywhere.There is no legal redress only a moral one and if the EA wants to play dirty there is nothing to stop them.Once contracts have exchanged yes you can go down the legal route, but as our solicitior explained to us it is not an easy one.A vendor can break the contract and sell to someone else.You have to put in some sort of injuction to stop the house being sold and then go to court.Even then they do not have to sell it to you but you can sue for costs etc.

(I cant tell you on a public forum what my Oh wanted to do to this guy!!)
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    Agreed its something that shouldn't be relied upon. But as I said its better then doing nothing and it will only cost you the price of fax.

p.s. Isn't accepting the offer regarded as accepting the terms of the offer?

Nothing is binding on either party until contracts are exchanged , that is the key bit

Also the OP thinks they may be buying from a developer, putting in unenforceable clause into an offer just makes poeple look like they don't know what they are doing

Think the OP just needs to get their skates on and get moving on the legals and surveys or find another house where someone will do as they request
  • not_loaded
    not_loaded Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    …Think the OP just needs to get their skates on and get moving on the legals and surveys or find another house where someone will do as they request
    How true! Less talk and more action needed. The solicitor could have been sorted ages ago for example. To be a confident vendor, I’d expect a surveyor in within a week. Ten days tops.

It ain’t a buyers’ market round here…
  • RX-78
    Options
    Nothing is binding on either party until contracts are exchanged , that is the key bit

Also the OP thinks they may be buying from a developer, putting in unenforceable clause into an offer just makes poeple look like they don't know what they are doing

Think the OP just needs to get their skates on and get moving on the legals and surveys or find another house where someone will do as they request

Doesn't exchange of contract refer to actual house buying? The conditions of the offer should refer to the offer, and not the actual transfer of the ownership of the house.

Probably a grey area in legal world? As I said before there is no harm in writing a formal offer I dont think..
  • tux900
    tux900 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2010 at 7:02PM
    Options
    Doesn't exchange of contract refer to actual house buying?

Exchange is agreement to buy (with all associated and specified conditions), completion is actually buying.
    Probably a grey area in legal world?
    Nothing grey about it - conditional offers mean nothing! :)
    As I said before there is no harm in writing a formal offer I dont think..
    More to the point, there's nothing gained either so the OP, or any other buyer in a similar situation, really needs to just get moving with progressing the sale as nothing else will secure it. Nothing implies greater commitment than parting with money and the sooner a buyer puts their money where their mouth is the better.

Mathew
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family