Money Moral Dilemma: She injured my dog - should she pay?

Options

Comments

• anjak-j
    anjak-j Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2010 at 3:18PM
    Options
    I have to say, the attitude of a lot of people here when it comes to pet ownership stinks. I think a lot of people have forgotten a pet is a commitment for life - that doesn't just end because the owner falls on hard times and cannot afford pet insurance. Pet insurance doesn't even guarantee the vet bill will be paid.

I wouldn't directly ask my friend to contribute towards the vet bills, though I'd expect any decent friend who found out their involvement in the accident, given the circumstances, to at least offer to help out. Because if the roles were reversed and I found out I'd hurt my friend's dog, I'd offer to pay some of the bill. (Due to the number of variables, I don't think it is fair to expect the friend to foot the entire bill.)

And if they didn't, well, they might find me less sympathetic should they get food poisoning again whilst we're out together. As in, I'd hand them the money for the fare and call them a cab - be it to go home, their doctors, a local walk-in clinic, whatever. I'm not obliged to have someone with a GI infection that they could pass on to me in my home after all. To which, the friend should have gone home once they realised they had food poisoning anyway.
  • Melsa_2
    Options
    The friend should offer to pay and thus avoid any embarrassment or awkwardness. I would be utterly mortified if I injured a friend's pet, and in fact a similar thing happened with my cousin's rabbit, whose unthinking neighbour shut its foot in the back door (of my cousin's house) as she closed it behind her. The rabbit had to have its foot amputated which cost a few hundred £; if my friend was unaffected by this then I'd sack her off with immediate effect.
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it is totally callous that people own pets without having some sort of an insurance, without having considered about their health and welfare - don't make someone else pay for your own callous attitude
  • sarah_85
    sarah_85 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Just because something is an accident, it doesn't mean no one should take responsibility. One of my dogs recently snapped at my friend's dog, drawing blood. Certainly an accident (mine, that I let him get that close), but I was mortified, and could only offer to pay the vet's bill, if it ensued.
  • PinkBanana_2
    Options
    No she should pay -some earlier posted they pay £30 per month for insurance. How much did you pay for the meal? Could you have paid pet insurance instead.

Your poor friend must have been very ill if she ended up in hospital.
  • alr_3
    alr_3 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    My friend was round and upset about personal issues and crying. In her emotional state she went out for a cigarette and on coming back in slammed the door on my pet rabbit. It shattered the rabbit's leg, my friend was devastated and immediately offered money but that was before i knew the actual cost and i said not to worry.

When we realised it was 300 quid i wished she would have paid some but i had already said no and even tho she knew there were lots of vets visits she didnt offer again. A few weeks later she was round my house and asked my husband how the rabbit was, he replied 'expensive' and promptly told her about the bill. The next day i had a card and a cheque for £100 on my doorstep. I knew she was really poor and we could scrape the money so i accepted just fifty pounds. Nowhere near covering the dent but it helped.

If she had been able to afford it i would have wanted her to pay half. The reason being it is my rabbit and my responsibility to keep it safe but also she did a stupid thing and should take some responsibility.
    If my friend had been drunk and injured my animal i would expect them to pay at least two thirds of the vet's bill, especially if i had no money!

Im outraged that your friend has not offered anything and i question the validity of your friendship. She does not sound very considerate if she is drunk, needs your help, injures your pet and doesnt offer to pay. I think she has a moral responsibility there!

Hope this helps!
  • alr_3
    Options
    mmm yes i totally agree melsa
  • alr_3
    Options
    im sure this person will find the money to get their pet treated, i think you have mis-construed their question, they are just arguing should they ask for help or not, especially given their circumstances. Even if i was really rich and someone was careless and did that to my dog i would expect them to make a contribution towards my bill out of moral duty!
  • charlierogan
    Options
    I'd take my pet to the PDSA!
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the friend even know you had to pay because she injured the dog??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure