Money Moral Dilemma: Should we stop splitting the bill?

Options

Comments

• lamp
    lamp Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Here's a bizzare thought that just occurred to me...

Perhaps the couple in question have it ground into them the habit of ordering two mains, something they've been doing for years, and want to raise about contributing more money but feel a bit funny about offering?

Maybe it hasn't even occurred to them... I think people tend to focus more on when they're being 'wronged' to when they're being treated well...

Nevermind friends, even a reasonable aquaintance will not take offence to you asking to cover your own bill when there is a big difference in what is being ordered.

Simples :D
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only thing I'd refuse sometimes is to pay their share of drinks and I just declare it before we set out; specially if I don't like them so dearly - you see, these sort of wheeling and dealing should be used as expressions :D
  • Marco12452
    Marco12452 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Without a doubt !!!
    Pay for your own, or don't go to restaurants with them.
  • faineant
    faineant Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As this is clearly spoiling the nights out I suggest taking a break and then after while suggest a night out for old times sake but with everyone paying for what they order. If that works then take it from there otherwise no need to pursue any further.
    If money saving starts to involve irritation or frustration the fine line between thrift and greed should be examined.
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    I'd just stop going out for meals with them, and if they are people that you want to stay in touch with suggest going for drinks or invite them to yours for dinner, saying you can't really afford to go out for dinner any more (use the Budget as an excuse if you have to).
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Streethawk_2
    Options
    Probably best to avoid having friends. Much easier in the long run.
    I thought I was a Money Saving Expert - then someone pointed me at Martin Lewis! Now THERE's an expert!!!
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is someone I know who has become infamous amongst plenty of people who know him for a rather worse variation

The bill comes, he takes charge, right how many of us are there, he counts round the group starting on his left and ending on his right, divides that into the bill, rounds up a bit for a tip ...

and nobody notices he doesn't put his share in

well, that's what he seems to think.

(Just think about that count again ...)

I remember being stunned on an occasion in Hungary in 1992, this happened even though the bill was only something like £13 between 11 people, I saw it but nobody else realised.

People have got wise, and promise themselves not to get taken in, but there can still be a variation like a group go to a cafe for tea, and someone has no money, I'll pay next time, we can all do it once in a while, but some more than others ...
  • Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    Just order three mains each when they order two each. See how they like it.
  • newkitchenfund
    Options
    They know they are taking advantage of your very British embarrassment. My advice would be to find nicer friends who do not just see you as a walking wallet.
    if you want to continue the friendship, I would tell them BEFORE you order next time that you are only going to pay your fair share (plus tip) - tell them you are on a diet or already had a big lunch if that makes it easier. And only bring enough cash to cover that.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just order three mains each when they order two each. See how they like it.

HAHA, brilliant!
    Pants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family