Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)

Options

Comments

• Ronaldo_VII
    Ronaldo_VII Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2011 at 11:17PM
    Options
    How do you pay the lump sum in? I tried to do it via a payment from my Natwest account last night but the money has been returned into it today.
  • Panini
    Panini Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    xiox wrote: »
    I see they ask for the standing order to be between the 2nd and 21st of the month. I wonder whether the overpayment would have to be payed in by the 21st, or whether this is just to ensure that any S/O is payed in during the month when there are several bank holidays near the end of a month.

Has any more light been shed on this particular rule? ;)

As a late adopter of this idea I'm not sure when I can add my overpayment at the beginning and if this 2nd-21st is rigourously enforced; consequence would affect the interest earned the following month as effectively going over that or next months £300 limit?!?! :(
  • Ronaldo_VII
    Options
    Mine hopefully went in today.
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine hopefully went in today.

Can you let us know how you went about paying your lump sum in?

TIA.
  • Ronaldo_VII
    Options
    afmfifgh wrote: »
    Can you let us know how you went about paying your lump sum in?

TIA.
    Mine is from Natwest. I created the payee and am paying 3 amounts into that account over 3 days due to the 10k limit per day out of natwest accounts via the standard payment on Natwest Online banking.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you putting in your savings account number into the 'reference' field?

You could always try talking a cheque into branch
  • Panini
    Panini Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    As a late adopter of this idea I'm not sure when I can add my overpayment at the beginning and if this 2nd-21st is rigourously enforced; consequence would affect the interest earned the following month as effectively going over that or next months £300 limit?!?! :([/QUOTE]

I was hoping to make a payment today but i wont if that will affect next months interest aswell (i have already made one overpayment this month- but couldnt get all funds in time for the 21st as i thought that was the cut-off!)

Some of those here have now had the account for more than a year and received interest and statements - in that time someone must have made payments that didnt make it for the 21st? So what happenned? If this rule is strict then that would mean a payment wasn't made that month (penalty interest rate) and the following month gets the overpayment (again, penalty interest rate) :(

please help :eek: I've tried making this point to the 'phone-robots' but they only know whats on the screen - experience tells a different story as we well know... :p
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do you pay the lump sum in? I tried to do it via a payment from my Natwest account last night but the money has been returned into it today.

Change the standing order amount from, say, £300 to, say, £10,300 and then change it back to £300.
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine is from Natwest. I created the payee and am paying 3 amounts into that account over 3 days due to the 10k limit per day out of natwest accounts via the standard payment on Natwest Online banking.

I opened my account yesterday and paid in £100 cash to open it. I have just set up the monthly Standing Order of £100 to go through on the 4th of each month and used:

Sort Code: 090000

Ac. Number: 00050005

As described on page 2 of this thread and used my Account Number i.e. A12345678BCD as the Payment Reference.

No issues so far....

But I can't figure out how to pay in my lump sum of £40,000?

I want to do 4 lots of £10,000 due to the daily payment limit of £10,000 imposed by HSBC on payments but when I go to set up a new payee there are only the following boxes to fill:

Sort Code: I was going to put 090000 as above

Ac. Number: I was going to put 00050005 as above

Name of Payee: My Name

Payment Description: Is this where I should put my Santander account number i.e the A12345678BCD number that I put in as the Payment Reference when I set up the Standing Order?

Can anyone help - many thanks.

Both HSBC and Santander were clueless and I think I get more sense out of hitting my head against a wall.
  • xrjtg
    xrjtg Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    afmfifgh wrote: »
    Sort Code: I was going to put 090000 as above

Ac. Number: I was going to put 00050005 as above

Name of Payee: My Name

Payment Description: Is this where I should put my Santander account number i.e the A12345678BCD number that I put in as the Payment Reference when I set up the Standing Order?

Yes. The last box gets called different things by different companies (reference, for example) but if it's the only other box you have then that's where your personal Santander account reference number should go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure