Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)

Options
1585960616264»

Comments

• Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    rabh wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there's still a £50,000 maximum?

The 1.5% is effective on balances up to £2 MILLION!
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a letter yesterday saying the rate on this account would be changing from the current 1.50% to 1.25% on 01/11/2016, everything else remains the same.

Still not a bad rate given the account conditions and the current market where the best 1 year bond pays 1.35% and 2 year bond is 1.65%.
  • garreh
    garreh Posts: 114 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2016 at 10:26AM
    Options
    afmfifgh wrote: »
    I had a letter yesterday saying the rate on this account would be changing from the current 1.50% to 1.25% on 01/11/2016, everything else remains the same.

Still not a bad rate given the account conditions and the current market where the best 1 year bond pays 1.35% and 2 year bond is 1.65%.

It's a terrible rate imo. Look into opening some current accounts that pay 4-6% interest rate (up to a limited amount). Put the rest into a Ratesetter or other P2P lending with quick easy access that can easily earn you 3%.
  • iwant2asave
    Options
    afmfifgh wrote: »

I agree, glad I kept this account open - its been unbeatable in terms of instant access savings accounts that aren't tied to current accounts. Also doesn't have the risk of peer to peer savings.
  • asc1991
    asc1991 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got one of these at 1.25% (still pretty good considering what's out there).

Does the £100-300 rule still apply?

Bit confused as last year I put nothing in at all and they still gave 1.25%!
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    asc1991 wrote: »
    Does the £100-300 rule still apply?

No, Santander dropped that requirement on 12 November 2012.
  • asc1991
    asc1991 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    No, Santander dropped that requirement on 12 November 2012.

Thanks for that, it's so hard to find any info on it - sounds like I can just chuck a load of money into it as one lump sum.

I take it the rule still applies that you can't withdraw from it unless you're closing the account?

Thanks again.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, the account became easy access.

This thread has just reminded me about the account. Withdrawn ISA (flexible) and placed in here.

Guess this won't last too long ...
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    asc1991 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, it's so hard to find any info on it - sounds like I can just chuck a load of money into it as one lump sum.

I take it the rule still applies that you can't withdraw from it unless you're closing the account?

It's now an instant access account so you can pay in and withdraw at will - no need to close the account :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure