We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 7

Options

Comments

• the_tooth_fairy
    the_tooth_fairy Posts: 391 Forumite
    edited 25 June 2010 at 5:31PM
    Options
    jupster wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Sent off the info today and my token payments to the creditors, not had my new bank account set up yet but have transferred my money into my partners account for now as they have started to off set payments!!!

Should have my new bank account up and running the begining of next week. Am glad i have done it but nervous about the response. Halifax have threatened if i dont pay a certain amount in a fe weeks time they are going to close the account and pass it to a debt collector. Is this good news?

Hope everyone else is doing ok and i am hopingh that once i get into the ins and outs i can advise others for now i am merley a novice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halifax just stuck on a shed load of interest on our a/c at the start, so it may have been better if they had passed it on. I've read many posts here that say it helps to stop interest if it's passed to a collection agency, so maybe that would be for the best?

You're going full steam ahead anyway!

ttf
    :j:hello::hello::jDMP mutual support thread member 348
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    jcorbygas wrote: »
    Hi everyone - I posted last week because I had just contacted CCCS to try and start a DMP. Because of my husband being self employed they needed 3 months bank statements, copies of suppliers invoices, copies of invoices to our customer (around 6 per day for 3 months!) so it has taken me nearly a week to do all that.
    I was feeling OK about it all but now I have the most major step and that is coming clean and admitting everything to OH!!
    He is aware that we owe money but not how much and I was waiting till everything was sorted out paperwork wise so I had a plan to show him. Well now that is all done, I am feeling so sick again- although (and I know it sounds dreadful after 28 years marriage) but even if he said he was going to leave me it wouldnt make me feel any worse than I have been feeling before contacting CCCS.
    So its either tonight or tomorrow I will have to pluck up the courage and tell him so please wish me luck.
    Thanks so much

Very best of luck. A few things to bear in mind,

1)he could have seen situation for himeself, or perhaps ought to have done
    2)presumably you have kept it quiet to try to protect him
    3)you haven't had the benefit of sharing the burden with him
    4)you've had time to adjust, don't expect him to get right upto speed, he may need time too
    5)most people feel very relieved once they come clean

I sincerely hope it goes well

HHxx
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Triggles wrote: »
    Hmm.. well, we sent letters to all our creditors advising them we would be increasing the monthly payments as we had managed to scrape a bit more out of our monthly budget to repay debts.

We've just received one letter back saying basically "that's nice of you to offer - fill out this form showing your incomes/outgoings and we'll let you know if it's acceptable." :mad: I'm sorry, can't they just say "thank you for making the effort and increasing your payment" ?!?! Not to mention that we just sent one to them in January. I won't even bother bringing it to their attention that I wasn't "offering" this amount, I was letting them know that it is what I am paying. LOL

A second letter received today from another creditor said basically thank you for letting us know of the "small increase of the payment you can now afford" -- we DOUBLED the stupid payment for heaven's sake!! I know it's not much, but at least we're making the effort. Then they go on to say "as you have not responded to our request for a list of other creditors with the balances outstanding we cannot suppress the interest and fees." Interesting, as if this is the only thing they are waiting for, they've dropped the ball somewhere. We sent them this in JANUARY with the income/outgoings sheet that we sent to ALL our creditors! :mad: So they say the account will be defaulting in at the end of the month anyway. Is there even a point in sending a letter saying that we've sent them this already? Maybe I should send it and point out to them that if this was all they were waiting for, they should have cancelled the fees and interest in January when we actually sent them the list and request that they refund the interest and fees they have been charging since January?? Or let the account go into default (which it most likely will anyway, scheduled to do so at end of month) and hope when it's sold to a DCA that they're more amenable?

They have no sense! I hope it gets smoother for you

HHx
  • MadDogWoman_2
    MadDogWoman_2 Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I don't post here much.

I've had a DMP since July 2006, only another 4.5 years to go!

Anyway, I'm having a major GRRRRRRRRR moment.

Swapped bank accounts less a year ago from Nationwide to Santander to get an electron card.

I've received a letter today from CCCS stating that as Santander have taken over Cahoot and that as we owe Cahoot money they have the right to take the straight out of our account so they recommend we change accounts.

I've applied online to Halifax.

I am grateful they have let me know but I'm now getting worried that they'll take all our wages when we get paid next week and have nothing to live on for the month.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    DD Katie born April 2007!
    3 years 9 months and proud of it
    dreams do come true (eventually!)

• jupster
    jupster Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Tooth Fairy i am aleady £650 over my limit so i suppose they want to paas it on for that reason which is fine by me if they stop the interest and charges!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will keep you posted and thanks again for the advice x
  • jupster
    jupster Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mad dog woman

if i was you i would draw all my money out of that account so they cant get to it and soon as your new account is up and running put it in there and ensure your company knows your new bank details.

I have just done the same thing as one of my creditors has taken £75 out of my account and i am not taking the chance that they wont take any more!!!
  • dmb_2
    dmb_2 Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've got a lot of use out of this site and these forums, and have just decided to set up a DMP so I thought I'd write up what's happened so far for comments and for my own records/analysis.

I'd been ignoring calls from an 0845 number, assuming it was from a creditor asking for money. I have £3000 of cc debts on three cards, £2000 overdraft and a private debt being handled by Incasso for £1700 for my tuition fees. I barely keep up with the credit card payments, usually incurring a few £12 charges every few months as i fall behind and catch up.

I answered the phone one time, and it was Baines & Ernst wanting to help me with my finances. I went through the whole process with them, telling them my debts, incomings etc. I'm self employed, bringing in ~£200 a week as a piano tuner.
    So it got to them telling me about their fees and alarm bells started ringing. £35/month of my £100/month payment would go direct to them, and my first two payments would also go direct to them without being passed on to creditors. I allowed them to send me my welcome pack anyway.

While I waited for that I did some research and realised I could get the same service for free from CCCS, so I decided to ring B&E and tell them I wouldn't be going ahead. The guy I spoke to was very, very rude, told me CCCS is not a charity (he was right it IS funded by my creditors, but that's OK as far as I can see), they'd not do a proper DMP, and a lot of other things. He was very aware of this site, and called Martin Lewis a 'comedian'. I accused him of trying to scare me and he denied it, so I told him that I would expect to never hear from B&E again. Left me quite angry actually!

So I'm getting a pack sent from CCCS after doing their debt remedy process, and I'm looking forward to getting the process started.

I've already applied and been accepted for a new bank account with A&L, it has an overdraft but if they do not agree to transfer all my overdraft I will tell them i don't want any overdraft facility at all and use it as a basic bank account.

My credit cards are with MBNA, Natwest and Tesco, in order of size. Anyone have any experience of these three and how they react to DMP notifications? My overdraft is with Natwest, same question?

The one thing I'm a little worried about is Incasso. I owe them for my final year's tuition fees for my piano tuning training. I've just agreed to start paying £40 a month, which if I was more honest with myself when I filled in their financial situation form I'd definitely not have been able to offer. I've decided to make the first payment on this plan as a show of good will, and accompany it with a letter telling them of my situation and that to expect to be contacted about my DMP soon with my revised payment plan. Do you think they will accept this?

I'm only 9 months into my new business, it's picking up slowly, so I think I will be able to increase my payments quite regularly over the next couple of years. I'm hoping to be dept free in 5 years!

Thanks everybody for your help and support :)

MBNA and Tesco were both brilliant with me and are charging 0 interest.
    DeeBee
  • Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jcorbygas wrote: »
    Hi everyone - I posted last week because I had just contacted CCCS to try and start a DMP. Because of my husband being self employed they needed 3 months bank statements, copies of suppliers invoices, copies of invoices to our customer (around 6 per day for 3 months!) so it has taken me nearly a week to do all that.
    I was feeling OK about it all but now I have the most major step and that is coming clean and admitting everything to OH!!
    He is aware that we owe money but not how much and I was waiting till everything was sorted out paperwork wise so I had a plan to show him. Well now that is all done, I am feeling so sick again- although (and I know it sounds dreadful after 28 years marriage) but even if he said he was going to leave me it wouldnt make me feel any worse than I have been feeling before contacting CCCS.
    So its either tonight or tomorrow I will have to pluck up the courage and tell him so please wish me luck.
    Thanks so much

It's got to be done so bite the bullet and tell him! And after any anger, disbelief, questions etc I'm sure you will pull together as you have done so often before in 28 years of marriage.
    It sounds like you've done brilliantly in coping with your necesary but enormous amount of paperwork , so well done you!
    Telling your nearest and dearest is often the most difficult part of all this, but you're in it together, and the relief that you have shared the burden is enormous afterwards :)
    Hope all goes well. Come back here to grouse or celebrate any time.

'Twitty'
  • mikon
    mikon Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

Quick question. My first payment from CCCS should go to my creditors today. Yet on the CCCS website my online statement is still showing a nothing being sent is their a time delay in updating the online CCCS statement?

Regards
    Mikon Riding the DMP Rollercoaster full of ups and downs but i will get to the end. :T
    LBM April 2010. DMP Start June 2010 - 11% of debt paid at June 11 to 11 creditors
    DFD In the Far Far Distant Future.
    :j
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No: 410 / DMP Without a Paddle No: 30
  • smcshane
    smcshane Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    mikon wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Quick question. My first payment from CCCS should go to my creditors today. Yet on the CCCS website my online statement is still showing a nothing being sent is their a time delay in updating the online CCCS statement?

Regards

Hi,

I would check this morning as mine has now been updated. It can take a couple of days but I still have some online accounts with my creditors and check some of them just to check payments have been made. As usually CCCS actually pay the creditors a day before the 25th anyway.

Regards

Sx
    Faced up to debts April 2009: £43099:eek:
    31/12/2013 £3516.66 91.5% paid :beer:
    DMP Mutal Support Thread Member 303!
    POAMAYC 2013 Member 121 - £4262.98/£4000
    6% above target :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate