DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 7

Options

Comments

• mikon
    mikon Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Barclays, Barclaycard and Citi would not accept my DMP with CCCS either. I sent a letter to Citi explaining my circumstances in detail and I asked them to help me by freezing and refunding interest, which they agreed to. Although they never accepted my DMP they did accept my payment from CCCS for around 6 months before passing my two accounts to different DCA'S, who accepted my plan without fuss.

I also managed to make Barclaycard agree to my DMP and refund all added interest by simply emailing the Managing Director explaining to him that I required his help and as I had been a customer for blah blah years with an unblemished record it was the least he could do. Within a day my plan was accepted and all interest refunded and frozen.

Good Luck, if they won't accept at first don't give up, just keep asking and asking.

Scouselad1974

I decided to write to the Chief Exec of CITI to ask him to intervene. I explained that I was trying to pay my debt off but the added interest was just compounding the problem. I also cc the Financial Ombudsman and the Executive Director of the British Banking Association. So I hope this works. I just want them to work positively with me to pay my debts off.

Thank your response it has lifted my spirits.

Regards

Mikon
    Mikon Riding the DMP Rollercoaster full of ups and downs but i will get to the end. :T
    LBM April 2010. DMP Start June 2010 - 11% of debt paid at June 11 to 11 creditors
    DFD In the Far Far Distant Future.
    :j
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No: 410 / DMP Without a Paddle No: 30
  • the_tooth_fairy
    Options
    Hey Fraggle, 13 GRAND!!!! You rock!

I enjoyed reading all that, thanks.

ttfx
    :j:hello::hello::jDMP mutual support thread member 348
  • scouselad1974
    Options
    mikon wrote: »
    Scouselad1974

I decided to write to the Chief Exec of CITI to ask him to intervene. I explained that I was trying to pay my debt off but the added interest was just compounding the problem. I also cc the Financial Ombudsman and the Executive Director of the British Banking Association. So I hope this works. I just want them to work positively with me to pay my debts off.

Thank your response it has lifted my spirits.

Regards

Mikon

Hi

No problem, I hope that they help you out like they did me. Keep me posted.
    DMP mutual support thread member:327
  • mikon
    mikon Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

No problem, I hope that they help you out like they did me. Keep me posted.

Scouselad1974

I will keep you informed. I hope I have as much success as you. It has me worried sick literally. It ruined Fathers Day for me. All I can think about is my debt increasing by hundreds each month. But your response has lifted me.

Thank you once again.

Regards
    Mikon Riding the DMP Rollercoaster full of ups and downs but i will get to the end. :T
    LBM April 2010. DMP Start June 2010 - 11% of debt paid at June 11 to 11 creditors
    DFD In the Far Far Distant Future.
    :j
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No: 410 / DMP Without a Paddle No: 30
  • scouselad1974
    Options
    mikon wrote: »
    Scouselad1974

I will keep you informed. I hope I have as much success as you. It has me worried sick literally. It ruined Fathers Day for me. All I can think about is my debt increasing by hundreds each month. But your response has lifted me.

Thank you once again.

Regards

Hi

I totally understand where you are coming from, there is quite a lot of people having problems on this forum regarding massive interest charges, myself included.

If your letter doesn't work don't give up, you can always put in an offical complaint and then go down The Ombudsman route, I'm in the process of doing that now and it is absolutley amazing how a creditor can become helpfull overnight after making your life hell for the past 6 months ;)
    DMP mutual support thread member:327
  • Twit_Head
    Twit_Head Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 June 2010 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Mmm - was dreading the 'extra budget' today. When you're on a small,restricted income and have no reserves (like most of us here) you just know things aren't going to get any better and fear how far and how painful the drop is going to be. :eek:
    As an NHS worker at first sight it doesn't seem as fearsome as I imagined. The VAT hike is not good and will be far-reaching, and those of you with young children will note the child benefit freeze.
    Thankfully it won't affect what my friend and I refer to as the 'designer shops' (Charity shops :)) Many a bargain to had and like car boot sales a godsend to the cash-strapped.
    Forget your pre-conceived ideas and have a rootle through-you might be suprised (and legally avoid the taxman at the same time :cool:)

'Twitty'

(And that goodness there is no tax on this loverly, loverly sunshine!)
  • the_tooth_fairy
    the_tooth_fairy Posts: 391 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2010 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Thats right. Twitty they can't take the sunshine away! I agree it's not much of a budget for people who are less well off.

What do others think? If you had George Osbourne's ear for five minutes, what would you say?

Mine would be, anyone earning more than £100k, do away with 'family allowance' altogether, they certainly don't really need it but UP the minimum child/family tax credits to reward people who get off theirs and get a job.

Stop giving away 'aid' to certain governments (they know who they are) where the aid goes to crooked people, who syphon off their cut and very little of the money goes to the people who really need it.

Can the government please stop spoon feeding this idea that, if we don't keep the Bankers sweet with bonuses, they will be 'head hunted' to other countries.
    Where? Would you employ any of them? Personally, I've had enough of them, and would be happy to hunt them, like say, foxes, for example.

Would love to hear others opinions!

ttf
  • the_tooth_fairy
    Options
    I should add that I love foxes, and a relative of mine feeds a wee family dog food every evening. But the thought of hounds chasing a pin stripe suit (who is quite happy to live off our misery) is almost too much for me to resist, hee hee!
  • ljm21
    ljm21 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    So far so good with the debt management plan. I've decided to go with payplan and I have a challenging but manageable budget, waiting on my new bank account details and all my letters and token payments are ready to go.

But one of my 'loans' is a cheuque cashing service and I havejust tried to cancel the cheques on line and the banks says that if these were issued with a guarantee card that they will be honoured. Has anyone been in this situation or know how I can stop these cheques being cashed.

I'm so disappointed as I was actually feeling quite pleased about finally feeling in control of my finances.

thanks again for all the help
  • londonfraggle
    Options
    ljm21 wrote: »

But one of my 'loans' is a cheuque cashing service and I havejust tried to cancel the cheques on line and the banks says that if these were issued with a guarantee card that they will be honoured. Has anyone been in this situation or know how I can stop these cheques being cashed.

Hi - when I first started my DMP I had a few of these awful cheque cashing loans. As they were all guaranteed there was no way I could stop them and my bank had no choice but to honour them.

At the time my bank overdraft was also being including in my DMP, and these cheques going through meant my overdraft getting even bigger and bigger and charges etc being added for these cheques going through when there were no funds in there.

But, my DMP company advised me that it was probably easiest to deal with a bank than a cheque cashing company (who, lets face it have no interest whatsoever in helping us!) so suggested that it was probably best to just let the cheques go through, my overdraft to go up and then just add the increased overdraft to the DMP. Which is what I did and it worked out fine. It did mean I had to start my DMP with a massively inflated overdraft than the one I had originally told my DMP company I had but they just adjusted their figures accordingly.

Of course - this all depends on whether you were planning on including the bank account linked to those cheques on your DMP. If so, my advice is to just let them go through your account and let your DMP company liaise the bank on the new increased amount that you need to include for that account on your DMP.

If you were hoping to keep that account up and running could you speak to Payplan and perhaps start your DMP a month later (and just pay token payments to your other creditors for another month) in order to have the funds to let those cheques go through the account and then start your DMP without them hanging over your head?

Hope this advice helps!

Fraggle x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family