Car hire from LAX..

Options
Hi guys,

I've booked the flights but the missing link in my trip to the States is car hire. There are millions of companies to use and I'm not sure how to work out who to go for.

For me, the car is a huge part of the trip. I did Australia last year and being given a Falcon XR6 really made the trip specal - it was a true Aussie road trip experience. It would be absolutely unacceptable to rent a car and be given some sort of dreary 4 cylinder Hyundai or or a Chrysler PT Cruiser or something.

I'm after either a full size 6-8 cylinder saloon, or a Ford Mustang cabrio.

Now plenty of places claim to offer this - Hertz for example offer a 'Ford Mustang Convertible or Similar' for about £460 for 2 weeks which is fine. But... or similar.

Does anyone have experience of car rental at LAX? I know a number of companies either have an entire lot full of cars and you simply pick one from your class - which would be nice - or are very accomodating if you don't like the car you've been allocated. But which?

I was very tempted to order through Carhire3000 as the rates include all insurances but was put off by the fact the convertible option was a 'Chrysler PT Cruiser or similar'. This would be a complete disaster so its putting me off them somewhat.

So - people who've rented in the States - whats the score?

Cheers!

Comments

• eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    call carhire3000 or use fifteen02.com and book a car with Alamo and you get to choose the car you want from what they have in the lot. As you want a Mustang you moght have to go for a prestige model which can be more expensive.
  • Tippytoes
    Tippytoes Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I now always book through Carhire3000 as I find them the cheapest. I've rented from them many times and only once was I given the category of car that I paid for (generally upgraded to bigger car). Carhire3000 are brokers, so I always phone to make a booking, at which point I ask which rental company they are using. Important because they once used Advantage at LAX and they were total rubbish. If make/model/size of car is important to you, make sure you state this at the time you book. Although I doubt any broker/rental company will be able to make guarantees. (We once booked the biggest boat to accommodate our family and when we got to Alamo, they only had smaller vehicles. Sorted it out two days later, but the first two days were interesting to say the least).

I'd say renting a car in the USA is as much a "finger in the air job" as anything else a consumer purchases.
  • neilbond007
    neilbond007 Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    Options
    I've had rental cars about 30 times from LAX.
    Mostly for business, but sometimes pleasure.

A few points -
    You get what you pay for. If you HAVE to have a certain car, book that car. Don't rely on carhire3000 / netflights (which I always use - I find them the cheapest) upgrading you to a certain car
    Mustang convertibles - Worse car I've ever driven. Ride was like custard.
    Avis - They have loads of chevy camaro's - http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/ I dare say they won't be cheap, but you get what you pay for. I've had one (was upgraded). Ride was OK. The only problem is the size of the doors. They're huge!!
    Upgrades - If you don't like the car you're allocated on arrival you can switch (for free) or upgrade. The upgrades will cost more than if you do them online
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2010 at 3:03PM
    Options
    I booked a Mustang convertible 'or similar'. Got offered a choice when I got there.

See this recent thread

I disagree about the Mustang. It is a perfectly good American car, well suited to touring in that country.
  • neilbond007
    neilbond007 Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree about the Mustang. It is a perfectly good American car, well suited to touring in that country.
    I probably got one that had gone through the ringer. The ride was very soft and seemed to drive at an angle down the road (crabbing it!!)
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    Options
    My last Mustang convertible out of LAX was arranged through Avis, they're not as expensive as you'd imagine and discount codes are frequently posted, but I really wouldn't rent one again. They're all name/looks and very little substance, uncomfortable, not particulalrly fast (I mean you're not going to get a Shelby or a GT500 are you!) basic interior and quite thirsty as you'd imagine.
    It's OK for running around town/city, but definately not a car for touring or doing any considerable mileage.

Most US companies offer the Mustang, PT Cruiser, Mits Spyder or Sebring as standard.
  • Gloomendoom
    edited 8 June 2010 at 3:46PM
    Options
    I probably got one that had gone through the ringer. The ride was very soft and seemed to drive at an angle down the road (crabbing it!!)

The worst thing about the car is the wooden steering... virtually no feel at all. However, it is easy to drive, comfortable and has a decent sized boot.
    It's OK for running around town/city, but definately not a car for touring or doing any considerable mileage.

The last bit is exactly the opposite of my experience, and I've driven thousands of miles in one.
  • Foxtbh
    Foxtbh Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    The 2011 Mustang, which I presume will be available for rental by the time I go in September given its just gone on sale, has 300bhp from the absolute bottom of the range model which should be sufficient. I'd like one because its iconic - it's THE 'American Can'. No rental cars are ever that good but holiday pictures of stunning coastal roads and desert highways will look far better with the Mustang on them, in feel.

My other is decision is do I rent one car or two - I'm going LA > San Diego > Las Vegas > Death Valley > San Fran > LA. Do I rent a full size as far as San Fran and then pick up a Mustang for the coast? Or just stick with the Mustang for the whole thing?
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    That rather depends on how many are in your party and/or how much luggage you are taking. I did a similar (but longer) trip in a Mustang (see other thread) and had no problems at all.
  • sscrabble
    sscrabble Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Foxtbh wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've booked the flights but the missing link in my trip to the States is car hire. There are millions of companies to use and I'm not sure how to work out who to go for.

For me, the car is a huge part of the trip. I did Australia last year and being given a Falcon XR6 really made the trip specal - it was a true Aussie road trip experience. It would be absolutely unacceptable to rent a car and be given some sort of dreary 4 cylinder Hyundai or or a Chrysler PT Cruiser or something.

I'm after either a full size 6-8 cylinder saloon, or a Ford Mustang cabrio.

Now plenty of places claim to offer this - Hertz for example offer a 'Ford Mustang Convertible or Similar' for about £460 for 2 weeks which is fine. But... or similar.

Does anyone have experience of car rental at LAX? I know a number of companies either have an entire lot full of cars and you simply pick one from your class - which would be nice - or are very accomodating if you don't like the car you've been allocated. But which?

I was very tempted to order through Carhire3000 as the rates include all insurances but was put off by the fact the convertible option was a 'Chrysler PT Cruiser or similar'. This would be a complete disaster so its putting me off them somewhat.

So - people who've rented in the States - whats the score?

Cheers!

a vry nice avis head office person in the UK gave me the link to their 'cool car' site - it might be good for you !!

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/display.ac?contentId=cool-cars-US_en-005368
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure