Capping Water supply

Options
I'm currently receiving two sets of charges for the water to my property as we have a supply that goes to the shed (used to be an outside toilet). We want to cap this as the supply is unused and we are basically chucking money down the drain (no pun intended). Does anyone know a rough cost for this? We've been quoted £65.

Comments

• Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    Try your water company, they might do a permanent disconnection for free and they will need the paper work to remove the charges..

BUT why are you being charged for a supply you don't use ? You should only have one set of standing charges even if you have more then one meter and if you are not using anything then there should be no consumption.
    What company supplies you ?
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    can you tell me why you are recieving two sets of charges for one property? seems strange.
  • Wrexhamed
    Wrexhamed Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with Dee Valley Water. Yes there's two meters. The guy that came to read the meter suggested I cut off the supply to the shed to have only one charge. He drew my attention to the fact I was being charged twice (we have only recently moved in)

The water company won't do it for free.

My bill reads water standing charge 15mm with the amounts duplicated.

I've been with this company at two previous addresses and the amounts have never been duplicated before.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Permanent disconnections are supposed to be free.

Tell them you are demolishing the outside toilet, so you need the supply disconnecting permanently.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Wrexhamed
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    Permanent disconnections are supposed to be free.

Tell them you are demolishing the outside toilet, so you need the supply disconnecting permanently.

Ok, have just emailed them as they are shut at the moment.

Thanks for everyone's advice, much appreciated
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    why are there two meters? I would ask for a customer service inspector to come out and inspect the property to explain why you have two meters. this is most unusual unless there was a separate dwelling/business, but you say it used to be the outside toilet! my OH (who used to be a CSI for welsh water) is flummoxed! and in our region there is no charge for disconnecting an unused water supply.??????
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    why are there two meters? I would ask for a customer service inspector to come out and inspect the property to explain why you have two meters. this is most unusual unless there was a separate dwelling/business, but you say it used to be the outside toilet! my OH (who used to be a CSI for welsh water) is flummoxed! and in our region there is no charge for disconnecting an unused water supply.??????

No it is not unusual in fact its very common to have 2 meters in older properties

The OP states they have an outside toilet which will be a separate supply hence the 2nd meter.

OP you should only be paying one standing charge on the property so if the outside supply is not in use your bill for that should be £0 and the standing charge should be on the main supply, well thats how it works around here anyway.
  • Wrexhamed
    Options
    Property is 40 years old. Still waiting for a response from them, will ring them later if I've not heard.
  • Wrexhamed
    Options
    Ok. I've spoken to them, yes I'm being charged for it and no they won't get anyone to cap it. I have to pay a plumber myself. :mad:
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Are you paying 2 standing charges ?

You should only be paying one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income