PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

missed rent payments urgent help please

Options
Hi all,

Any help is much appreciated.

Since september I have been living in a rented student flat. The university should take the payments out of my account every month. However since january they have not been. It is an error completely on their behalf.

The university are now continually hassling me asking for one huge lump sum for the missed payments. Do I have any right to ask for the repayment to be spread out over a longer period or even reduced as it is their fault and they did not keep up to their end of the agreement? I did not realize the payments had not been made and losing all this money at once will leave me in a financial mess!

Thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    How much IS your rent each month?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even if the Uni didn't take the payments you are obliged to ensure the rent is paid on time. Why didn't you notice that the payments hadn't been taken? Presumably that's quite a fair sum per month so why didn't you know that you had more money in your account than you expected there to be?

You need to try and negotiate with the Uni and come up with a solution to get your arrears paid off but I don't believe that they are under any obligation to agree to them being spread over a period of time.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2010 at 11:22AM
    Options
    "" It is an error completely on their behalf.""

what a load of old cobblers.... sorry but YOUR bank statements are there to be read and acted upon - this is a tough lesson for you now that you are trying to join the adult world

take responsibility for your own actions...
  • Cannon_Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder Posts: 3,980 Forumite
    Options
    If the Uni have not taken the money, then it must be sitting there in your account, so where's the problem ?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    You really don't have to be very bright to get into university these days, do you?
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Most people would notice if their monthly rental payments hadn't been debited from their bank account for the last 8 or 9 months.....
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Leory
    Leory Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    OUCH!
    I could see these repiles coming!

• Lil_Dee_2
    Lil_Dee_2 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    :( And we wonder why people don't come back to this place

I take it none of the posters above me have ever been young and reckless, or made a mistake in their lives !! :think:

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question Simblack, but wanted to re-assure you that there are still some of us around here who like to abide by the rules of the forum, and still think that being nice to others makes this world a better place.:wave:
  • Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lil_Dee wrote: »
    :( And we wonder why people don't come back to this place

I take it none of the posters above me have ever been young and reckless, or made a mistake in their lives !! :think:

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question Simblack, but wanted to re-assure you that there are still some of us around here who like to abide by the rules of the forum, and still think that being nice to others makes this world a better place.:wave:

So lets wrap people in cotton wool rather than letting them learn important life lessons? Being nice is great, but it's not the answer here.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    Lil - much as i applaud your response to OP clearly when s/he writes

"" Do I have any right to ask for the repayment to be spread out over a longer period or even reduced as it is their fault and they did not keep up to their end of the agreement?"

it is obvious that OP has not thought this through AT ALL and maybe harsh words are the only way to get the message across...

Growing up is a tough business.. accepting responsibility for one's own mistakes is the first hard lesson...

OP IS AT FAULT - sorry - but that is the reality of what has happened.. OP signed a contract to pay rent and did not do so... end of....

OP needs to get a bank loan to pay off Uni and then get on with their life.. i bet they dont do this again.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure