IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Writing to Private Clamping Company to Appeal

Comments

• highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My thread was intended for advice on writing to the company, not the morals behind the decisions. I am not the best at writing, and thought so kind person may be able to assist or just tell me I have gone wrong.

My parking ticket was unjust. I parked at a pub car park intending to use it for a drink later, went to the cash machine to get money to buy a drink and came back to find myself clamped. There was a lack of adequate signing, and anyone else in my situation may be caught foul of this.

Therefore, it is right for me to appeal against the decision. However, on investigating the law and regulations further I have found clear breeches of the law and have chosen to defend my case using there breaches instead of the original wrong reasons I was clamped for - the most important thing for me is that I get my £117.50 back.
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Astaroth wrote:
    Personally would have simply said, you know you parked without a ticket where you arent allowed to. Be an adult and pay the fine which is the consequences of your own actions and remember not to do it again.
    I think there's a parallel here with Martin's campaign over unfair bank charges. Sure, it's my fault if I go into the red without authorisation but it's unfair to charge me £30 per transaction for it. When they do it, I can appeal and pay a fairer charge instead.
    Remember, the whole ethos of this site is money saving. I'm sure the OP wouldn't object to paying a reasonable fine; the whole debate is around the notion that the fine is way out of proportion to the "offence".
    Can I help?
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    waster wrote:
    So you think everything is as black and white as you suggest? Sorry, that's not the real world that I live in!!!

The world that we live in is one where people believe that the rules shouldnt apply to them or that they should be let off because of their circumstances but at the same time would be the first ones to call foul if someone else broke rules and it negatively affected them (eg a stranger parking in your driveway)

The rules are black and white.... you can park here if you buy a ticket, if you do not buy a ticket you will be fined. Where is the shade of grey here? In the OPs case they parked in an area for customers only when they were not a customer... though they claim to have had an intention to become a customer after doing their other business (probably as everyone who gets clamped there claims). If they did discover they needed cash after parking why not go in the pub and let the barman know... for one the inspector probably wouldnt have clamped it in the first place as they had seen them go into the pub so assumed they are a customer. Secondly they could have immediately gone back into the pub with the clamping inspector to confirm the company had given authority to park there for 10 minutes whilst they got cash and so would have removed the clamp without charge.

There is certainly an amount of luck. As per another poster who said that they had run out of change and went to a shop and got held up. However they said that the inspector gave them 10 minutes to get the change but it took them 14 minutes. How much time should they have been given then? 14 minutes but definately get a fine after 15? Then someone who took 16 minutes will say it was unfair. Of cause the other consideration is that many will have been 14 minutes not because they were getting change but because they were actually doing what they parked up for in the first place. By allowing people to park for 10 minutes before getting a fine you effectively say it is free 10 minutes parking.

Dont do the crime if you cant do the time
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • HIGUYUK - Thank you very much for alerting me to the finer points of the penalty notice. I now believe I will get my £260 returned as the notice is signed but not named and is thus in breach of S.I.A. regulations. There was a suspicious air of anonymity about this company and your thread, an MP's blog and the S.I.A. websie confirmed the notice illegal.
    As I am disabled and don't drive, an OAP friend said he would drive my wife to Bucks to collect my daughter's possessions from her flat. She wasn't aware a permit was needed for this private land outside her residence and as they were upstairs, gathering, the vehicle was clamped. As £260 is more than my monthly DLA, I thought I'd ask for leniency given the circumstances but it was 'thrown out'. They did point out to me the vehicle was towed away when it was just de-clamped and so I wonder how thoroughly the appeal was looked into? I thought it was extortionate, wondered how much the difference was for towing and saw your post about signature and name. It has made me optimistic and happy. I could have lived with paying my friend that fee but being clamped in such circumstances left a very bitter taste - given the genuine exercise. Thanks. :T
  • I took the case to the SCC and it went to warrant of execution. I then received a letter to say the warrant could not be served on a PO Box number. I looked on SIA site but it said they can't make public, the licensee's details.
    At the moment these people legally owe me £345 and are hiding behind a box number. Can anyone advise on my next step to ascertain their physical address please?
  • The latest on my battle with Central Parking services Ltd. I paid the DVLA to ask for the address of the pick-up vehicle, as I have the registration, nd they, too, said it was registered to a PO Box number.
    Both a solicitor and MP suggested Companies House whereupon I found out CPS Ltd has an office in Coventry.

I found this on the British Drivers' Association page.

Central Parking Services Ltd - ABD site
    "The ? Parasites

Not to be confused with Central Parking System (see above). With the names of two parking companies being so similar, with identical initials, it's possible journalists (and even councils!) have got the two companies mixed up at times.
    Who are they owned by? We don't know, they seem keen to stay under the radar and don't even have a website. They may be British. If you find out do let us know.
    Their address is said to be P O Box 844, Uxbridge, UB8 9BH
    Also: The Old Mill House, Willow Ave, New Denham, UXBRIDGE, UB9 4AF
    Also: The Meridan, 4 Copthall House, Station Square, COVENTRY. CV1 2FL
    Company number 05576734
    We've seen websites saying they trade as 'Centra' and own Thames Bus."
    I paid more money to re-issue the warrant through Coventry Court. They have told me a bailiff visited the address in Coventry but that it is only an office and no things of value were there so they returned the warrant unexecuted. Consequently, these 'highwaymen' are still at large, in breach of the law, and as yet, they have not been apprehended despite a SCC ruling against them. Am I throwing more good money after bad?
    The address on the ticket was PO Box 844 UB8 9BH.
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Is your problem that you can't get an address for the PO box number?

If you write to the Post Office requesting the PO box owners address (and you provide a good reason, which I believe you have) then they will give you the address.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You should have issued against the landowner as well. They are equally liable if the clampers are acting as their agents.
  • To answer the latest replies (thanks), yes, I need to convert the PO Box address of the Uxbridge post code into a number and street - where hopefully the bailiff will find something convertible into cash.

I asked the estate agents in High Wycombe - who looked after the monies for the landlord - about listening to this saga and I was told "the landlords don't want to get involved"! Thus, I never knew who or where to contact.

I will certainly write to the Post Office for that information. I have jpgs of the illegal notice, their vehicle number and court documents. I have also contacted Watchdog. I think they could be pretty thorough if they decide to pursue it.
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Just want to say goodluck and hope you get these scammers. Make sure you get all your money back and money for all your time and grieve, add loads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure