IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Writing to Private Clamping Company to Appeal

Options
Hey,

I have to write to a Private Clamping Company to request an appeal form. This form apparently goes through an independant appeal process.

What do I need to say in the letter?

I currently have:

Dear Sirs,
I write in response to an alleged offence that took place Monday 14th August 2006 at the Crown and Anchor in Stone, to request a form of appeal.

Yours Faithfully,

Not exactly alot! :o Anything else I need to consider? :o

All help v.much appreciated!

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Ask them what their interests are in respect of the land, who owns the land and what is the nature of their relationship to the owner? I have seen on these boards someone said that if they do not own the land they cant take money, I think it might be something like

Acting as collecting agents for the landowner = ok
    landowner allows them to put signs up and collect money for themsleves (i.e. the landowner sees none of it = not ok

The fee for removal from DVLA is XX amount (60 ?) so their fee is extortionate in comparison.

post #4 here (not clamping but the principle remains the same)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=115690&highlight=clamped
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my arguements on appeal is going to be the price. In the town that I parked, you can park for an hour for 20p. I was charged £117.50 (£110 + VAT) for my 3 minute stay. I do have other grounds to appeal as well.

Do I need to ask them to provide evidence of my offence, or does that wait till I submit my appeal forms?

Another problem is that I have already paid as I was clamped, and now I need to try and get it back!

Sorry, I'm slightly clueless on this. Been reading up as much as I can but alot of it is based on council appeals - not alot out there on private clamping!
  • suffolkb
    suffolkb Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Options
    Why didn`t you park for an hour for 20p?
  • Wig
    Options
    No need to ask about evidence of the offence seeing as you were clamped and paid for removal.

Were the signs clearly displayed? Did you see them when you parked? if not why not?
  • highguyuk
    Options
    To show why I parked in the car park, see this thread, especially post #3:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=244527

Just reading up, I have several grounds of appeal. This includes an unreasonable fee and the receipt does not give the clampers name - only the company they work for and the signature. But I suppose that will go on the appeal form.

My letter now looks like:

Dear Sirs,
    I write in response to an alleged offence that took place Monday 14th August 2006 at the Crown and Anchor in Stone, to request a form of appeal.
    I would also like to confirm the relationship of PECS Vehicle Management Services Ltd to the owner of the land.

Yours Faithfully,
  • Wig
    Options
    Are you a regular at the pub? were you meeting friends there? if you have witnesses to either the above you ave a strong case IMO.

IANAL (i.e. don't believe anything I say seek professional advice)
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Highguyuk

Private clamping companies have to be SIA registered the same as security guards. Have a look around thier website for codes of conduct and regulations.

Why can't we follow the Scottich on this front where its is illegal for private clamping.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • highguyuk
    Options
    I have grounds with the SIA as on the receipt the individual clamper has given a signature but not his name - which is against the regulations. I intend to follow this up separetly tomorrow. His licence number is on the receipt, yet I am unable to find the clamping company registered on the SIA website.

I am not a regular enough user of the pub to have witnesses unfortunetly.
  • highguyuk
    Options
    ohreally wrote:

Thats quite an interesting discussion! Is there anything specific I should have got from it though?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure