PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Right to Buy???

Options

Comments

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Chris
    If you really want to buy a house there are loads for sale in Brum. There are some great ex Council ones that you can afford in areas where the BNP tend to do well.
    No go and count your blessings.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    Chrisl wrote: »
    Yes we live in Rattlesden, the problem is houses very rarely come up for sale in the local area and whem they do they are way out of our means!! If we would buy on the open market we would have to move miles out of the way as all the surrounding villages seem to be covered by this exemption!

Its not fair!!

So it's fair that you should have been given social housing in the first instance because you couldn't afford to buy. But not fair because you aren't being given the opportunity to take a valuable social housing asset off of the market at a knockdown price.

If you hadn't been able to get this social housing no doubt it wouldn't have been fair that there was none available. Do I smell hypocrisy?
  • Fang_3
    Fang_3 Posts: 7,602 Forumite
    Options
    Not fair?! You need to get a grip.
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    Driving/walking past people will currently either know, or not, that your house is HA.

If there is any stigma attached, then why would you want to buy into the area? That bit doesn't add up. The stigma is the property/area, not whether you own it or not. If I lived in a house/area I loved and knew I had cheap, cheap rent for LIFE I'd be bragging left right and centre. In your instance renting is the SMART thing to do!

Yep but you forgot that 'It's not fair that the OP has been given social housing for 300 pound a month and isn't being allowed to buy the property cheap'

Some bloody people are never satisfied. If she doesn't like the stigma she should give up the property (there will be hundreds of people willing to accept the stigma) and go into the private rental market. Oops no, she would have to pay double the rent there and that 'wouldn't be fair'
  • Chrisl
    Chrisl Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well the area on a whole is lovely and the only HA houses are a small few in a close where i live! Its just that my dad keeps on about getting onto the housing market! i like the house and love the area! So I take it then the tennancy I have got then is for life, but I take it when i retire I will still have to pay rent?
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    If you want a house, just save up and buy one like anyone else.
  • AnnaV
    AnnaV Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand why someone who has that much money to spare gets a HA house when there are lots of people out there with very little income at all. We've been on that amount and always rented privately. I don't understand the housing system at all!
    Anna :beer:
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well the area on a whole is lovely and the only HA houses are a small few in a close where i live! Its just that my dad keeps on about getting onto the housing market! i like the house and love the area! So I take it then the tennancy I have got then is for life, but I take it when i retire I will still have to pay rent?

Chris,

If you really are desperate to get onto the housing market, im unsure if you could have an council exchange with someone then buy the house.

We purchased our Housing Association house back in 2008, so we can give some advice.

The discount we received was £21,200 from a valuation of £60,000. So purchase price was £38,800 (3 bed end terrace).

I believe that discount is calculated at a %, and there is a maximum £££ you can receive.

Regards,

Alias
  • Chrisl
    Chrisl Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I think most of you are missing the point here, I have never been 'given' anything in my life! My partner lived in the house way before I came along then I moved in after a couple of years! I actually work 35 miles away and we wanted to secure a future for us and my partners child! So is it so wrong to wanting to invest in a property and trying to buy the house we live in? I didnt mean to offend anyone by this thread! I have never brought a house in my life and I guess I am quite neieve to how the system works so I just wanted some advice really not harsh comments!!
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2010 at 9:43AM
    Options
    when i retire I will still have to pay rent?
    When you retire and fall ill and need care you will not have the home you have spent a lifetime paying for taken and sold to pay the bills. As occupiers of a desirable family home, you will also most likely find it easy to swap for something more suitable for your needs. As pensioners you will also not have to dip into meagre savings for major repairs.

Swings and roundabouts.

If you are that desperate to buy you now have a unique opportunity to save due to low rent. Maybe in five years you will have a big deposit and high enough income for a mortgage.
    Been away for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family