PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Right to Buy???

Options
Hi Everyone,

I currently live in a small village with my partner and her son and my first child will be due in November! We are currently living in a Housing association house, which is actually very nice and all the neighbours are nice! The problem is I work hard and pay all bills/rent on time but i just dont like the stigma which is assocated with the hosuing association but to be honest you would not notice that out house was! My partner works part time but only does about 8 hours a week and i only earn 25k a year which is not enough to buy our own 3 bedroom house! My partner has lived in the house for over 5 years and I enquired regarding buying our property but I was politily told that we cant buy the property! Now reading through all the literature on the net we meet all the criteria to be able to purchase the house but the housing assoctaion are saying that we cant?

Does anyone have anymore informaiton on this as I am sure we are just being told we cant buy the house by legally I am sure we can!

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    I think it has to be a council house, not HA for R2B.
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • Chrisl
    Chrisl Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    are you sure as I am sure you can from the HA as well, does anyone else know??
  • muskoka
    muskoka Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Options
    I'm fairly sure you can buy it, HOWEVER its not called Right to Buy on Housing Associations properties. Its called something else - forgot what? sorry. Google your housing association & the website may well inform you if you can buy, how you can buy and the maximum discount allowed. Good luck . If you get no joy on their website, then write to them - they have to write back , dont they?
  • blckbrd
    blckbrd Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    Opinion, advice and information are different things. Don't be surprised if you receive all 3 in response. :D
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    edited 2 June 2010 at 3:26PM
    Options
    Chrisl wrote: »
    i just dont like the stigma which is assocated with the hosuing association but to be honest you would not notice that out house was!
    If you are in a nice village and you can't tell its HA, then where is the stigma?
    Been away for a while.
  • Chrisl
    Options
    right I have emailed my local HA and below is their response:

The problem here is not with the occupancy of the premises, it is the location of the scheme. Certain properties are excluded from the Right to Acquire ( page 3 of the guidance notes) and that includes those properties in certain rural parishes identified by the Government. The parishes tend to be small and removing the right to acquire is a way of ensuring that the supply of affordable housing remains in rural areas. Rattlesden is one of the parishes listed as being exempt so no right to acquire I’m afraid.

Reading this I tak it there is no chance of buying the house??
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    If the discount was only 10k I would have thought you could do a little saving and buy on the open market.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Valuation Office Agency publishes a Right to Buy Manual, which does say that there is an exception to the Right to Acquire "where the dwelling-house is situated in a rural area designated by order of the Secretary of State".

I suspect that the Housing Association is right when it says that your area is one of those "rural areas". There's a great long list of rural areas in this Statutory Instrument, and a Rattlesden in Suffolk is one of them - is that the Rattlesden you live in?
  • Chrisl
    Options
    Yes we live in Rattlesden, the problem is houses very rarely come up for sale in the local area and whem they do they are way out of our means!! If we would buy on the open market we would have to move miles out of the way as all the surrounding villages seem to be covered by this exemption!

Its not fair!!
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    Chrisl wrote: »
    Yes we live in Rattlesden, the problem is houses very rarely come up for sale in the local area and whem they do they are way out of our means!! If we would buy on the open market we would have to move miles out of the way as all the surrounding villages seem to be covered by this exemption!

Its not fair!!

It IS fair, because without social housing, you couldn't afford to live there now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure