Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Bottle top & other convert to ca£h scemes?

Options

Comments

• argamemnon
    argamemnon Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    i saved a load for local hospital but they stopped taking them, so 3 months ago contacted Guide Dogs for the Blind as heard they were taking them, still waiting reply from them so in the end i threw them in the bin..don't think anybody wants them
  • Hideaway
    Options
    This isnt easy, but there has to be SOMEWHERE ... the person who wants the wheelchair had actually found somewhere via a neighbour, but then the neighbour moved away and unfortunately no contact details were left / asked for ... :(
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hideaway wrote: »
    This isnt easy, but there has to be SOMEWHERE
    Welcome Hideaway. I'm sorry we're not immediately forthcoming with the answer. I'm not sure why there has to be a link between plastic bottle tops and provision of wheelchairs myself, some of these 'collections' have turned out to be internet myths, see here (which I know is American, but best I can do). Having said that, my own mother is collecting milk bottle caps for a friend, I know not why, and nor does she, so I dutifully take mine to her periodically.

A better way of getting a suitable wheelchair is surely through the NHS: a proper assessment can be done and the right chair provided free of charge. There are threads about this on our Disability and Dosh board showing that persistence is sometimes needed to get a useable chair, but in the end it does happen.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive questioned the wife on this,she works in nhs and says there is a notice on the board asking people to save these tops for a wheelchair,she isnt even sure that the person that pinned the notice still works there with all the cuts going on but she and all her colleagues are still dutifully collecting these things,personally i cant see how it can work because i read most council depots are over run with plastic waste and the price has fallen down the chute
  • Hideaway
    Options
    Thank you all ... will do more research and in the meantime continue to collect them, in the hope that we will find somewhere.
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    If you are asking about plastic bottle tops, please read the whole thread here -- from page one.

But the bottom line is --- There are no wheelchairs for bottletops.

Bottle caps are worth about 2.5p per kilogram when delivered in 500kg lots to the gates of the recycling company. IMHO not worth the trouble.
  • mohar10
    mohar10 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2011 at 10:09PM
    Options
    This is an email sent around last September by my office management team (we are in central London):

"Dear Clients

We are raising money for a disability school to provide electric wheel chairs for their students.

To do this we are collecting plastic milk bottle tops (red, blue, green and white) until January 2011!

In 2009 they raised 20,000! This was enough for two wheel chairs – this year we are personally aiming for three!

Please let your colleagues know, bring your milk bottle tops in from home and ensure they do not get thrown away in the kitchens!

Thank you"

we had a lady from the school come around to our building in Fridays each week (she mention they they where part of a coop using GHS) for 3 months and I know she also went around all the local star bucks too. I'm expecting anouther email in a early November, and I'm going to make addition inquiries having read the above.

Thanks
  • boggie40
    Options
    Thought I would do a google search into this and it threw up this thread started in 2006 !!!
    I have not long returned from France as my brother lives out there and they were collecting lids for a breast cancer charity. Obviously I thought b4 sending them over there I would see if there were any local charities that would benefit from them - None :mad:
    Oh well a couple of jiffy bags are now going to wing their way to france.
    We are lucky here in Caerphilly to have wheelie bins for our recyling and we fill two every week, which means by time I compost all our food waste we only have our general waste wheelie bin emptied once a month - as we live in a semi rural location this suits our bin men not having to make the trek to our home every other week and we are doing our bit for the enviroment.
    How times have changed though since this thread was started !!!!
  • miss_corerupted
    Options
    hi boogie40.

My DS Methrin has just started collcting bottle tops. it's the one in Blackwood comp. in case you have any more :)
    I have dyslexia, so get used to my spelling and grammar :)
    Mortgage pay off date 11/2028. Target 12/2020 :rotfl:
    Current Balance £33921
    Declutter 2123/2016
  • liver-bird
    Options
    A local Beaver group was recently collecting for a disabled woman who had been promised an adapted bathroom if she collected her weight in milk bottle tops. Everyone helped all over the county and beyond and the bathroom has now been commissioned. :j

But we have loads of milk bottle tops left! So if anyone knows any charities in the Merseyside area who is collecting them, please let us know. We have a few sacks full and more in various workplaces and homes! I can then let the Beaver leader know.

(We understood Liverpool Women's Hospital Special Baby Care Unit were but apparently they have been innundated and aren't any longer.)

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport