'Cherry Error, a MoneySaving failure confession' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• I have to say i had a little smile reading this as i knew what it was going to say as soon as i saw you had a 'cherry story'
    i too have fallen foul and also at marks and spencer!!in my pregnancy craving excitment i managed to pay £7.50 for a small bag of cherrys.....it has only happened the once
  • edited 1 June 2010 at 11:45AM
    VicthoisoVicthoiso Forumite
    7 Posts
    edited 1 June 2010 at 11:45AM
    I felt it unnecessary for you to point out that you could actually afford them. That money is not as issue for you. Seriously, no need to rub our noses in it, when some of us can barely feed our families.

Insert By Martin

That was exactly the opposite of what I meant. As is pointed out by people below - had i not written that someone would've said "you can afford it what you whinging about". My point was I believe in value - and dont like to overspend and the only reason I mentioned that was to separate value from affordability

I am more than aware of the different incomes that people using this site and everywhere have. I've spent my life working and campaigning on issues like debts, tax credits and bank charges - though i've never really had either.

I know how fortunate I am - but would never dream of rubbing people's noses in it. Yet nor should this site become about bashing anyone who has cash - MoneySaving has always been about people of ANY income doing better with their money and making it stretch. Whether you're on the dole or Alan Sugar. More users of this site are net savers than debtors, its a broad church

Sometimes you just can't win!
    Starting Debt £23,789.68
    :j Total paid in to date £2446.45:j
    Total Remaining Debt £21343.23
    :j
  • Done it, been there and kicked myself - doh!
    Titch :)
  • Victhoiso wrote: »
    I felt it unnecessary for you to point out that you could actually afford them. That money is not as issue for you. Seriously, no need to rub our noses in it, when some of us can barely feed our families.

I think you're missing the point- I don't think for one minute Martin was showing off about wealth- he was probably saying that BECAUSE of his money saving ways he could have afforded them.
  • magickidmagickid Forumite
    90 Posts
    Cherries are a killer! I only now buy them (and various types of berries) from the fruit stall outside work. M&S charge so much for fruit!
  • glossyhairglossyhair Forumite
    133 Posts
    Ooops, Martin but at least it proves that you are actually human after all, lol!
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    mmmm, still seeking something witty to be my auto-signature . . . so this will have to suffice for now ;)
  • eleanora_eleanora_ Forumite
    313 Posts
    You may be a MoneySavingExpert but you're only human! At least they tasted good :D
    :j Married my lovely man on 29th June 2013 :j
  • SammyS1987SammyS1987 Forumite
    217 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Martin how could you be so foolish?! :p

On a more serious note, it takes a dedicated money saver to realise they have made a mistake and a top man to admit to it!
    Love, peace & karma.
  • SoubretteSoubrette Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Victhoiso wrote: »

The trouble is that if he had said nothing then someone else would come on and say - "come on Martin, we know you earn loads, you could easily afford these" when actually affordability was not the point of the article, value for money was.

Cherries are my downfall though :( I went through tesco once and the checkout lady said 'You do realise these are £6 a pound'. Yes I did but I wanted some cherries :(

Sou
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Victhoiso wrote: »

That was exactly the opposite of what I meant. As is pointed out above - had i not written that someone would've said "you can afford it what you whinging about". My point was I believe in value - and dont like to overspend and I was trying to seperate that from affordability

I am more than aware of the different incomes that people using this site and everywhere have. I've spent my life working and campaigning on issues like debts, tax credits and bank charges - though i've never really had either.

I know how fortunate I am - but would never dream of rubbing people's noses in it. Yet nor should this site become about bashing anyone who has cash - MoneySaving has always been about people of ANY income doing better with their money and making it stretch. Whether you're on the dole or Alan Sugar.

Sometimes you just can't win!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides