June 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 May 2010 at 2:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
908 replies 77.5K views

Replies

• russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up a pile of smoked ribs reduced to pennies.Do I treat them like a smoked hough? Soak overnight then slow cook with beans maybe? Any ideas gratefully received. Apart from that very little spent today just beer for DH as I'm dieting for holiday at the end of the month.The weather should hold for a BBq tomorrow and I'll use all the free food I got doing an MS at a well known freezer shop.Have a good weekend everyone.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Wee_JoWee_Jo Forumite
    821 Posts
    Did weekly grocery shop this evening, came in under budget again :j I budget for £40 per week and this week my grand total was £36.39 - think I will put the leftover change in my piggybank :D So far I am on course for the monthly challenge. Am aiming for £160 this month.

Russetred - I have no idea how to tackle the smoked ribs - I do now want to come to your BBQ though!!!! :rotfl:

JackieO - well done on your NSDs - am v jealous, I've only managed 2 out of my target of 14 so far this month. Must pull my socks up!

Jo :)
    LBM 04/05/10 :T DEBT FREE 30/07/10 :j I made it!
    CHALLENGES: 0 bought lunches June or July :)
    Aug SoL: 15/21 June NSDs: 11/14 July NSDs 12/11 :j Aug NSDs: 5/12 Savings target: £500/5000
  • poppy-glospoppy-glos Forumite
    478 Posts
    russetred wrote: »
    I picked up a pile of smoked ribs reduced to pennies.Do I treat them like a smoked hough? Soak overnight then slow cook with beans maybe? Any ideas gratefully received. Apart from that very little spent today just beer for DH as I'm dieting for holiday at the end of the month.The weather should hold for a BBq tomorrow and I'll use all the free food I got doing an MS at a well known freezer shop.Have a good weekend everyone.
    not sure about the smoked bits but i boil up ribs in water with honey, tomatoe sauce, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, for thirty minutes. Allow to go cold in stock (keeps them moist), the grill on bbq (or bake) out of the marinade to give colour.. nom nom
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • edited 12 June 2010 at 9:27AM
    SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 June 2010 at 9:27AM
    Hi,

It was my birthday yesterday and my mum bought me a slow cooker! Am very excited! Having a stew tomorrow night so I can test it out. Can anyone point me in the direction of any good slow-cooker recipes?

Belated birthday wishes W2BMS & Mrs Woolfe :bdaycake:

There is a thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2197233
    where peeps post what they are cooking most days in their slow cookers which will give you some ideas and recipes, there is also another thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=4273&highlight=slow+cooker+recipe with recipes.

Enjoy your sc - i love mine :D

Well i`ve updated my siggy and so far so good, DH will be doing this weekends shop but not until late tomorrow so i shall write out a list for him to take with him and keep my fingers crossed.

Happy shopping guys

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Morning all,, half way through my first months challenge I keep running out of things. Overspent yesterday by getting pizzas as ds1 had a mate over and i wanted to get nice stuff for them,,but was sucked in on a few offers. I am just halfway over my budget.
    On a positive i am being given a m/richards bread maker from a friend,,used once and I am so grateful, my cheapo one died last year.
    I am baking her some goodies as she cant bake (or says she cant) :-) I plan to keep giving her something nice for her and the kids every week for a while as she has recently divorced and struggling. :-) I did try to tell her to USE the bm but she defo will not.
    I seem to havew very little in my freezer to meal plan with,,i mealplanned last month and used alot, not one joint of meat only one reduced price tray of lamb pieces and one large beef mince for next weeks spag and a chilli. The rest is bread loads of Quorn and a few frozen hm meals for tonight.
    Made and froze shepherds pie for tomorrows lunch and a quorn one.
    So I will plan plan pla and buget buget buget,,and carry on baking all our cakes and biscuits,,oh and bread and pizzas from tomorrow with my new bm :-) yey exciting
    Just thought in the garden my gooseberries are readyish and there are loads!! Rhubarb,spring onion carrots and radish ready too and i have not bought salad for weeks as use cut and come again salad in garden. Good luck to all challenging .
    Life happens when you are busy making other plans ;)

Sealed Pot Member #1149 (£340 saved 2011)
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Morning all :) have a fun packed day of cleaning (Yawn!) and then I think I will make some empire biscuits then relax in the garden pottering about!

Have a good day all :)

Oh just an afterthought....what's everyone doing with their gooseberries?
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Good afternoon everyone,

just made a white choc and rasp cheesecake.
    Bought quite a few salad things in M&S yesterday. I know they would probably be cheaper elsewhere but I was down that end of the town and to tell you the truth I just fancied them. Sometimes I give into temptation.icon11.gif

However for the rest of the week I will stick to my meal plan.
    I will stick to my meal plan.
    I will stick to my meal plan.
    I will stick to my meal .....

Hope you all have a good day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Second NSD for me to-day, OH having steak for dinner, mine will be a freezer surprise...must look soon.

Wssla...I had some stewed gooseberries last night for pudding, going to make some wine in next few days...can't remember what weight I need, any left will go in freezer for crumbles etc.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • welshkazwelshkaz Forumite
    288 Posts
    HIYAS from a glorious day here in south wales been a busy bee here all week but have been good updating sig when spent just had mra big shop delivered for £73 but that includes a 50 pack of discs so dont know whether to include them as their not groceries hmmm anyway have a lovely weekend all x
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Stunning hot sunny day here, hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

OH went and got a few bits from town yesterday including the butchers and we spent in total £10.45. So not too bad at all as we're close on half way through the month and a fair way off half of budget spent. NSD today and probably tomorrow too.

Right back out to the garden.

Have a great weekend everyone,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides