Real life MMD: Do I punish the cleaner?

Options

Comments

• oldnewhand
    oldnewhand Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do suspect the cleaner of pocketing those expensive toiletries but despite this have some sympathy from first hand experience in Turkey. Last year whilst staying at a small friendly family run hotel a fellow guest ordered a meal from the numbered menu. The barman/waiter's English was limited so she pointed to the dish and said the number to be helpful. When the dish arrived it looked delicious, the most expensive item on the menu but not what was ordered. The guest explained the error and was brought the correct dish but the member of staff was visibly upset. The hoteliers apologised and seemingly jokingly said they'd stop the money out of his wages. He was sacked. We all make mistakes, if this hotel could sack a member of staff for a genuine error that maybe had a retail value of £25.00 what could happen to that maid that if benevolent made a mistake costing much more? When travelling into different cultures we need to be aware of temptations and potential consequences. I am no way suggesting it was OK to steal (if that's what happened) but maybe a more diplomatic approach in the future could be to ask the maid if she's found/seen the missing item before you go the management, if there is no language barrier. Giving someone the opportunity to put a mistake right can teach them a lesson and mean you have only lost your time. But then it's easy to sit at home and deal out the advice it's different when you're put on the spot.
  • Essex123
    Essex123 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 June 2010 at 10:11PM
    Options
    The underlying issue has nothing to do with wealth or poverty. It's to do with right and wrong. And in my view is that it is wrong to steal or defraud someone else - be that making off with their plants, or pinching a bag of toiletries (if that is what happened).

And a lot of people are not affulent through birth, but from hard work. Why should that mean they are fair game to others? People need to be encouraged to be creative and make a success of themselves. Too many times in this country, the easy option for people is to go on benefits etc rather than make a go of it for themselves. Thats why I hope your business turns out to be a success, and then - if you choose to - you can spread the wealth you have created with others.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rapido wrote: »
    Essentially we are talking about the disparity of wealth which occurs as a result of chance of birth. It could be considered "that's the way things are", but how cruel is that on people who are not born into affluent families? And those that actually have the opportunity to help others would rather care for themselves in an unnecessary fashion.
    So, because I was born in the UK, I deserve to be robbed?
    If you have never experienced poverty (and briefly rushing thro' a souk in a foreign city doesn't count), then you will have no idea how essential it is that money is spent in a sensible fashion. Of course, looking after your own family first is normal, but if there's an excess, then why not help others? Or is that just too hard to stomach for most Britons?
    How can you sit there and say that!? I'm far too soft for my own good, I'd help anyone who needed it, in any way I could. I do NOT however appreciate people helping themselves to my personal belongings!
    As usual, I can see the selfishness of my own people, probably in such a way that was never evident 20 or 30 years ago (yes even during the supposedly money obsessed '80s), and it always surprises me that such selfishness rears its head in the Moneysavingexpert forums of all places.
    There is nothing selfish about not wanting to be robbed. You found that out yourself, didn't you :)
    Well, and hey, you were the one that enjoyed delving into past postings to supposedly prove a point (which actually proved to be the inverse to the actual situation, and a situation which has now passed many months ago). But I guess the schadenfreude filled you with glee.
    It proved that while you were saying you were happy for us to be robbed, you were grabbing at every opportunity to be reimbursed for your own loss. And rightly so! I don't see why anyone should lose out because of the greed or stupidity of others.
    And £200-£480 is a *heck* of a lot of money to some people. I shake my head in amazement. I can't believe that anyone who can afford such a bag and then to be reckless with it... that they cannot afford to lose it.
    And leaving a bag in a locked, paid for hotel room is being reckless how exactly? :)

I'm not bothering with the rest of your post, you're just trying to make us out to be evil, money grabbing people for being able to buy nice things. That's really nice of you.
  • rapido
    rapido Posts: 392 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2010 at 6:46PM
    Options
    . .
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wizard_troll_doll-low_res.jpg

The everyone's pictures thread is in the arms, sweety.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wizard_troll_doll-low_res.jpg

There's an MSE thread for your photos already.
    Ask them to add it for you.
    Thats a pretty dress you have:)
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    freyasmum wrote: »
    The everyone's pictures thread is in the arms, sweety.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    No,........hypocrite! who would have thought someone would rather be thought of as troll than what they have actually shown us they are?:T

Sometimes it is just better to admit, that on reflection, and having considered issues in your own life and how you have dealt with them, that other posters have a point.;)
  • Lex555
    Lex555 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I dont even see the dilemma - The cleaner had no business touching it. It was the fault of her own stupidity for not checking properly if it was actually rubbish.

I would be fuming, although i wouldn't like the idea of any cleaner coming into my room and would request they didn't for security reasons.

Having said that £200 for toiletries seems strange, but it's the principal. Regardless of what it was, if it was worth £200 and couldn't be retrieved, (regardless of the fact it might have looked a bit like rubbish), I would want every penny back.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    There's an MSE thread for your photos already.
    Ask them to add it for you.
    Thats a pretty dress you have:)

:T:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::T
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business