We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fuel filler nozzle mystery solved?!

2

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    DaveF327 wrote: »
    I've known this for years. It's even in the owner's manual.
    But who ever looks at that :eek:

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DaveF327 wrote: »
    All cars that have the triangular arrow, yes.

    .

    Except mine.. and a whole bunch of hire cars I have driven. :p
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    When I buy a new-to-me car, first thing I do before filling up for the first time is check which side the filler cap is on. Not hard. After that it's something that sticks in your head.
  • bartman
    bartman Posts: 327
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    darich wrote: »
    It is if you position the car close enough to the pump.
    I've never had a problem with the hose reaching across the car.

    I agree - I've yet to find any filling station where the hose won't reach across. It is so infuriating when some inconsiderate idiot blocks the whole forecourt while waiting for a pump on the "correct" side to become available.
    I am aware that there are a very few cars where the filler is situated towards the middle of the side of the car, making it very difficult or impossible to reach from a pump on the other side, but these are few and far between.
  • Not ALL cars have this handy memento, however, I believe the majority of US cars (GM/Ford etc) have this. Now, I'm not gonna start a yank bashing thread but don't they also have to have, by law, little stickers on their wing mirrors stating objects may appear closer than they are?!?

    Says more about US drivers than US cars!
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,267
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The nozzle is usually right (but not always)

    The arrow is always right (but not always fitted).
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,131
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Tony_ wrote: »
    Does it even matter?

    99% of fuel hoses will reach the other side of the car for you to refuel anyway.

    Not all garages are happy if you fill on the wrong side of the pump. Tesco refused me to fill this way even though the fuel filler reached with no problem.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,237
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not a hoax at all, My mondeo's handbook clearly states the arrow points to the flap.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • flyingscotno1
    flyingscotno1 Posts: 1,679
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Slow news day at Autocar and Daily Mail. I've heard about this years ago and it is obvious with the arrow. The pump handle is complete hoax- we've cars it doesn't work with!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,523
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What a very slow news day - Fords have had an arrow by the fuel gauge for at least 15 years.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.