Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, you have to sign up with the current supplier to a dwelling you move into, only after registering with them can you Switch to another and till the Switch is complete you will be billed by the current supplier.

So far as UW's charges are concered, ALL suppliers will put incoming home owners on their 'Standard Variable' tariff, which is the most expensive
  • Rugbybiff
    Options
    Thank you for your time Martin, it is much appreciated (by our family) everything you do for us "the public".

Just going to do the new car insurance now!
  • wongawonga
    Options
    This recent article in This Is Money http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-4106764/ASK-TONY-Utility-Warehouse-sent-wrong-gas-bill-cut-mobile-phone.html highlights why its not a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket with them.:eek:
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    wongawonga wrote: »
    This recent article in This Is Money http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-4106764/ASK-TONY-Utility-Warehouse-sent-wrong-gas-bill-cut-mobile-phone.html highlights why its not a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket with them.:eek:
    When I was with UW for energy I provided gas and electric readings every month and they took the amount coinciding to the readings using my direct debit. That way I did not owe anything and they did not have the benefit of having my money.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Surprised UW is still in business, what a joke. You'd have to be a mug to be with them still
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Anon82
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place so please bear with me!
    About 6 years ago, when I didn't really care about my credit score as I was convinced I'd never have a decent score and buy a house, I moved in to a rented property that had the gas and electricity supplied by Utility Warehouse. Being young and stupid, I thought I could get away with not paying bills and just spending all my money on going out (judge away, I judge me too). I moved out of the property after about 10 months. I never called UW to acknowledge I had an account with them or to give any meter readings, or respond to any letters. I just buried my head in the sand.
    Fast forward 6 years and I now have Oriel calling and texting me (god knows how they got my number) asking to me call them urgently for help regarding my UW account. I've checked my credit file (which is now recovered and a very healthy score!) and there's nothing from UW on there. I've not heard from them in 6 years and suddenly a flurry of contact from them.
    My question is can they still chase me/send a bailiff/take me to court at or after 6 years? Does it become statute barred? Could this be the reason for the sudden contact from them?

Thanks for any help :-D
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Firstly the law on statute barred debts is very complicated - there are loads of websites giving various scenarios. like:

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/can-i-write-off-debt/statute-barred-debt.aspx

In essence a debt does become statute barred after 6 years; but it is not simply a case of you disappearing for 6 years, when UW didn't even know any of your details, and you have 'got away with it'.

In your case you acknowledge your debt to UW and it seems that they can take you to court for the sum owing plus expenses.

You will get better advice if you post full details - particularly timings - in the Credit File Board on MSE
  • Harrybee1
    Options
    My farther in law has died and had signed a contract with Utility Warehouse to include energy, light bulbs etc. His daughters want my mum (second marriage) to take over all the bills in her name. she has been left nothing in the estate. When she spoke to utility warehouse they said she couldn't cancel without penalty due the light bulbs and type of contract he signed. Them cost for her to get out of this are around 800 which she cannot afford. She has lost her husband and the stress is making her ill. He looked after all bills and now they expect her to take them over in 8 days time. Can this company demand that she carry on with a contract she did not sign or really know about ?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Harrybee1 wrote: »
    My farther in law has died and had signed a contract with Utility Warehouse to include energy, light bulbs etc. His daughters want my mum (second marriage) to take over all the bills in her name. she has been left nothing in the estate. When she spoke to utility warehouse they said she couldn't cancel without penalty due the light bulbs and type of contract he signed. Them cost for her to get out of this are around 800 which she cannot afford. She has lost her husband and the stress is making her ill. He looked after all bills and now they expect her to take them over in 8 days time. Can this company demand that she carry on with a contract she did not sign or really know about ?
    If the agreement is a fix, she is probably better staying with it as power prices have gone through the ceiling with some and others are tipped to follow. (I have just done a check on my fix, due to end in April and the cost will go up by nearly 25%, yet providers have stressed that it's standard rates which are going up most.)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    If his name was on the contract, they cannot enforce the conditions of the contract on his Spouse.

I wonder if his daughters are involved with getting him to sign for UW and don't want to lose their commission!!

Tell UW to put their position in writing.

Make a good story for Watchdog or similar.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback