Should I get a price capped or green energy tariff? Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• danielag
    danielag Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i'm currently with Eon (energy plan) I'm confussed as to how to find the best capped deal, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am also £286 in debit to them, can i still change?
    Thanks in advance
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Ah Danie - a ploy I believe that suppliers are using. You switch, they make your payment really low, then after 3 to 6 months they read your meter and you owe them money - so you can't switch until you clear the debt.

We have switched quite a lot recently and they all set the DD really low to begin with.

Danie you will have to pay your debt before you switch. Then go on a comparison site and put in your details. They will tell you the best deal - if you want a capped then tick the box to search for only capped deals.

Have you read Martin's article? Have a read he usually explains all.
  • MattyNeth
    MattyNeth Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I'm switching from Southern Electric to Scottish Power and taking advantage of their £72 cashback through quidco. Am going to risk not taking the capped rate and go for their Discounted Energy Online DualFuel tariff.

I'm about £100 in debit with S.Electric for Gas but over £100 in credit on my electricity. Will they offset it or will I have to pay the gas that I owe immediately to enable the switch and then wait months for them to send me what they owe me on the electricity - how does that work?
  • patrick78uk
    patrick78uk Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    To whom recently switch to the capped tariff,

Do you switch both electricity and gas to the capped tariff at the same energy provider?

I had some searchs at EnergyHelpLine.com, and I can have the capped tariff for electricity and duel fuel, but not gas? Why is that? Does it mean that no gas provider offering the capped tariff in my region?
  • STEG_2
    STEG_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick note, I have just come of the phone with NPOWER and as of today they are no longer offering any form of capping, due to the overwhelming response they have reached their limit, new customer or long term customer.

Apparently they will reinstate "A" capping tarrif soon but this will be advertised in the press on its release, so customers come second again then, no early options for us to sign up!!!!

I missed the boat on this one, and after 5 years of continued services from them I am looking else where, along with also filling a media complaint with them about.

Lucky for us we move house in just over 4 weeks time, so looks like new home and new energy supplier..

Good luck to the rest of you in sealing a deal else where.
    Arhhhhhhh, If only Life was that simlpe!!
  • jonnyb
    jonnyb Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am capped already, on the british gas til 2010 deal. I signed up for it a few years ago, and just wondered how many MSE people are also on it.

I am £100 in credit with my gas bill, with monthly payments of £21 per month ! Wasn't sure at the time, but it turned out to be a very good decision.
    Karma is a wonderful thing. ;)
  • willow03
    willow03 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am currently on a Price Fix 2008 NSC Online tariff with Southern Electric for duel fuel. It expires on 30th November this year and if I were to switch to another capped deal right now I'd be around £300 per year at least worse off so am unsure what to do!

I've kept hearing Martin's advice to switch to capped asap but if anyone could advise me whether this is the best course of action in my circumstances I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
  • marshy50
    marshy50 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I looked into this capping and my supplier would have to increase my energy costs by 50% within the next year for me to break even on the cheapest capped deal I can find. With oil prices now dropping I'll take the gamble and stay with my current supplier. Another consideration is if you leave a capped deal there are penalties for early release. The best advice is just to become more energy efficent I've saved about 30% on using more efficent devices making the most of econmy seven and just switching things off when not in use. Generally just watching how I use energy and being careful not to waste any.
  • thymely
    thymely Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Southern Electric better plan are supposed to be 100% hydroelectricity, but are their prices likely to go up inline with conventional electricity prices?

On Southern Electric better plan paying £37/month via direct debit with 35% night usage on Economy 7. Should I change to capped?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    thymely
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    HAve moved to Eon as I was with British Gas and their prices have gone astronomical. Eon fixed have no penalties to move and as it was only 27% more than previous BG price and their prices have gone up 25% I gambled.

Everyone has to make their own decision on moving, all I can say is do your homework.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure