Pregnant, in debt and in the army!

Options
I have just found out I am 2 months pregnant. Me and my boyfriend are chuffed although it wasnt planned. We are both serving in the army. I am in an IVA and it doesnt finish until 2011. The IVA company has already said that they will review it to accomodate the new expenses the child will bring to my life. I plan to return to work after my 6 month maternity leave as I simply cant afford to stay off any longer. My main concern is childcare. I am worried as I will need full time childcare and wonder if anyone knows what help I can get from the Army and the government? I am classed as a single parent because me and my boyfriend do not live together and are not married, will this mean I will get more help? I know I will be entitiled to a quarter and wonder how much more I will be paying for this than my SLAM room? I Know I can get child maintenance, tax credits and working tax credit to help with the childcare. But is there anything the army can do?
Loan - [STRIKE]10000[/STRIKE] 5686 Debt start : £18750
Cahoot Overdraft- [STRIKE]1000[/STRIKE] 970 Debt now : £9365
Credit Card [STRIKE]9000[/STRIKE] 2709
Top Shop Storecard - [STRIKE]150[/STRIKE] 0 :D
Alliance and Leiceste Overdraft - [STRIKE]100[/STRIKE] 0:D

Comments

• Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly congratulations.

On your other points, you are entitled to 9 months FULL pay depending on how long you have been in the army.

Dont think you would get much help from the army, but might be worth speaking to Welfare as they have dealt with your situation many times and so know what could or could not be done for you.

Childcare, I suggest you look at childminding as opposed to nurseries unless you can agree a working pattern with your unit. A childminder will be alot more flexible, but may cost a bit more.

For payment of childcare, you may be entitled to contributions from the government depending on your wage etc. You can also have around £240 taken direct from your pay before tax towards childcare - but only for registered carers - the company is called Sodexho.

Even though you will be classed as single, how much help financially you get will depend on how much you earn and how much you will get "maintenance".

As for qtr, think you can apply for one when your around 6 months. The cost will depend on what grade and size it is. For example I pay around £200 for rent, equivalent of council tax and water, I am in a C3 (3 bed). As your clerk for the rates of qtrs.

Back to the army, your best bet is to talk with your unit about you returning to work, some units are good and put you on light duties, let you finish early to pick your kid up or try and keep you back from tours. But what you will have to remember is they dont have to do any of the above, soldier first and all that.

Alot of info to digest lol, good luck.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you can purchase child care vouchers directly from your pay which is a tax free way of paying for child care and use them in the child care facility which is on the base.
  • helzbelz_57
    helzbelz_57 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    the uk armed forces provide a childcare voucher scheme. so it will be worthwhile looking into that and working out whether the tax credits you lose as a result of taking the vouchers is less or more than the financial benefit of using them.

also wrt marker's post. not sure if the forces have a different maternity policy but for me it was 14 weeks at full pay and the following 25 at statutory maternity pay. so not 9 months full pay as posted. but just check incase it is different. there was a big difference between full pay and maternity pay when it kicked in at 14 weeks.
    "it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick" - my dad, regularly throughout my childhood when I complained about something being too small/not perfect/not tasty/not what I wanted. he was right every time. :D
  • Starrystarrynight
    Options
    Have you been to your local HIVE. They may have a list of local childcare providers or give you an idea of how much you can expect the fees to be.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • kyh
    kyh Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    As a currently serving member of UK AF who is also pregnant the maternity info is
    6 months on full pay
    3 months on statuary maternity pay
    3 months on no pay

You can take anything up to a year on one of those options. I think there is a restriction on how early you can return - I think it is 14 days post birth.

You will be "downgraded" unfit to deploy once you get to about 12- 14 weeks depending on your unit MO unless you are due to deploy in next 4 weeks in which case get to med centre now.

You will remian "downgraded" for 6 months post return to work and during this time they will try not to deploy you overseas. You must however make childcare arrangements in case of deployment after this time, as a single parent it is a big consideration, I don't know of any childminders that will look after a child continuously for over 6 months! You need to ask your boyfriend about this -what happens if you both deploy together? If you are married they will consider this with the potential to leave one parent at home but they don't have to. Do either of you have family that are in a position to look after little one in this situation?

With regards to childcare yes you can claim childcare vouchers, working tax credit and family tax credit as well as your child benefit. Please go to see welfare NOW to ensure this is all applied for correctly so the IVA company cannot claim on it. It may be worth seeing if the welfare dept can help get some of your debt written off?
    You will be entitled to a quarter and need to apply when you are about 6 monts pregnant - you can get one fully furnished so don't worry about buying furniture - ok it's not pretty most of it but it is free!! You can add to it with your own pieces over time as you are better off financially.

There are often military nurseries on camp which are subsidised and therefore cheaper than local private options but they tend to get full very quickly - if there is one on your unit I suggest applying in about 4 weeks.

Please , please see your welfare officer and or HIVE to get some support now so you can get things in place early.

Good luck and hope the morning sickness is not too bad!!
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Options
    kyh wrote: »
    As a currently serving member of UK AF who is also pregnant the maternity info is
    6 months on full pay
    3 months on statuary maternity pay
    3 months on no pay

You don't need to worry about where the money is coming from or who's paying it. For 9 full months you will get paid as normal. This is the same with most civil service as well (dependant on length of service).

You can also "share" the nine months between you and your partner. Can't say I'd ever consider that option :D

you can get one fully furnished so don't worry about buying furniture - ok it's not pretty most of it but it is free!!

Its not free, you will pay a slightly higher daily rate than unfurnished properties. It's not a significant amount extra a month, and am sure it is great for new starters.

There are often military nurseries on camp which are subsidised and therefore cheaper than local private options but they tend to get full very quickly - if there is one on your unit I suggest applying in about 4 weeks.

My child is in one on camp, the price didn't very at all from other nurseries outside.

Defo speak to welfare about your situation.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can take anything up to a year on one of those options. I think there is a restriction on how early you can return - I think it is 14 days post birth.

Yeah its two weeks compulsory.
  • bumblebeebaby
    Options
    Dont bother with the childcare vouchers, you will be worse off. Also would recommend you start looking at childcare now and get your name on the lists, Im having major problems finding nurseries at catterick and 6 months down the line they are all still full. Working patterns depend on your bosses but you just have to hope they are flexible but that also depends on your trade too.
  • tashlovestosave
    Options
    'On your other points, you are entitled to 9 months FULL pay depending on how long you have been in the army'

This is not a true statement. You are entitled to 26 weeks FULL PAY. 13 Weeks statutory maternity pay (SMP £120 per week approx) and 13 weeks unpaid leave. ANY unpaid leave taken will be added on to your terms of service. So if you are on a 9 year engagement then you would serve 9 years and 13 weeks.

Dont bother with the childcare vouchers, you will be worse off.

Sorry but could you explain your thinking on this one! Its not exactly a true statement is it? I have childcare vouchers and I save approx £1000 a year on Tax. This does actually make a difference to my pay packet at the end of every month. I think the OP really needs to speak with HR and the benefits agency.

The Army have no obligation to 'give' you anything and it should be noted that you will be expected to deploy once you are back from maternity leave. To be honest, once you are settled back at work, it isn't that difficult to manage. Me and my DH manage......and we now have two children under six. It will take alot of effort and determination but it really isn't difficult. Hang in there, if you speak to your local Hive and HR office you can get every single bit of information you need ;)
    Lloyds TSB Loan £5500 Tesco Loan £11000

DFW Number 536

Proud to be dealing with my debts :D
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as I am concerned you will be entitled to tax credit, so depending on your wage, you will be given a set amount per month which includes an amount for childcare costs. Although this doesnt cover all the costs it does help.

It also has an extra amount for the first year of a childs life.

However the system is faulty so be very carefull when you apply. Basically they look at how much to pay you then at the end of the financle year they look back and tell you how much that should have been. If overpaid they will take it back over the following year.

Average childminder chargers in my area are £3 per hour.

You should be entitled to a quater, however your b/f will not be able to move in!

Also note that the RAF have a transition period to easy you back to work follwoing mat leave. This could mean just working afternoons for 2 weeks whilst you bed in back to work.....I know the Army probably wont care as much as the RAF! but it is something to bear in mind.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business