wood burning stoves

Options
13»

Comments

• John_3:16
    Options
    Thanks must have about 4 ton know then
    I asume you burn Scots Pine. If so do you find it OK?
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good when dry - no sparks
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I"ve got an open fire at the moment, but would love to have a stove.

Is it essential to have my chimney lined??..Although my cottage is old (1860), the sweep say's that it seems to be in good condition...

he say's that, because i use a mix of coal and wood, then these 2 fuels cancel out the bad effects of the other ( i.e. tar and soot??).

I've been to a couple of shops, but they all want to include the very expensive cost of re-lining.

Any advice??

thanks
  • hesmy
    hesmy Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    bud-miser wrote:
    Another thing you can burn is your waste paper. You throw all your junk mail into a tub of water and wait till it turns into a papier maché mush. Then, with the help of a clever little gadget you can buy from most hardware stores, you turn it into briquettes by squezing out most of the water and then let these dry completely. Free fuel.
    I have one of those gadgets,but never got round to using it-do the "briquettes" really work(i.e.burn) and for how long?How do they compare to wood?
  • John_3:16
    Options
    I have looked into chimneys alot.!!!!! I think that if your fire is ok at the moment I cannot see a problem with conecting a wood burner of multi fuel stove.
    You can always have it lined later if needed. the information from the sweep should not be swept aside a good sweep knows more than we do about fires.

The best chimneys are those that can get warm quick. This helps in getting rid of all the waste products. If you had it lined and insulated I suppose that would help with the draw of the fire etc. Our stove burns hot we do this to help burn all the waste smoke etc.

A Hot fire is better than a smouldering one for keeping the chimney clear.
    The measure of love is love without measure
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport