🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

wood burning stoves

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I've just advertised in Freecycle for an unwanted Woodburner. You never know.
    Special days for advertising anything you want.
    Also Friday-Ad paper has a woodburner section.
    Perhaps a better bet would be the free papers in tree growing areas like Thetford Forest in my case.
  • Janey51
    Janey51 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't underestimate how much wood you will need. Nothing more soul destroying than trying to source wood in the middle of winter when everyone else is as well!
    We estimate about 2 tons for Sept-March. Thats burning every evening and all weekend, holidays etc.
    Can get very hot at times but you will learn to control it after a while. We find it much cleaner than when we had the coal fire and so much quicker to get going. Logs look much nicer than a bucket of coal:D
    Our burner only needs cleaning out every 3 days or more as the logs reduce to almost nothing because its so efficient.
    Plus, our fire has a flat top so keeps the coffee warm and, at a pinch, we could heat soup etc!
    And the ashes are being used as the base for our veg garden paths.
  • John_3:16
    Options
    Hi Janey
    We have just had a woodburner put in and have been collecting wood from last march. Just out of interest how much room in meter sq does a ton take up?

Thanks
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • Janey51
    Options
    John_3:16 wrote:
    Hi Janey
    We have just had a woodburner put in and have been collecting wood from last march. Just out of interest how much room in meter sq does a ton take up?

Thanks

Oh heck...Maths:rotfl:
    Let me put it this way.
    Our official log shed is stacked to about 8 foot high by 3 foot deep...my OH is very tall so he gets those until I can reach.
    We also have a stack in an alley way that air can circulate through and thats about 6 foot high and 10 feet wide.
    Then there's the multiple log baskets stored in an inside office in case we get a blizzard and I don't want to paddle through the snow.
    And the huge old trunk which we retrieved from a shed, revamped with black Hammerite and that sits by the back door.
    Plus the bits of wood which I carefully gathered after OH split the logs, put into onion sacks and will use as kindlers.
    And the newspapers which everyone saves for us (we don't buy one)....I have been known to retrieve them from the overfilled recycling skips at Morrisons:o
    This is the most organised I have ever been. Thats what being on this site does for you.
  • Janey51
    Options
    Sorry...that was 2 tons
  • ronnyb_2
    Options
    Still haven't taken the fireplace out yet. New upvc windows were delivered at the beginning of the week so I'm now preoccupied with that. Are the old wooden frames ok to burn, there's absolutely loads of wood from them. Trouble is they're painted. Create fumes etc?
  • bud-miser
    Options
    Another thing you can burn is your waste paper. You throw all your junk mail into a tub of water and wait till it turns into a papier maché mush. Then, with the help of a clever little gadget you can buy from most hardware stores, you turn it into briquettes by squezing out most of the water and then let these dry completely. Free fuel.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ronnyb wrote:
    Still haven't taken the fireplace out yet. New upvc windows were delivered at the beginning of the week so I'm now preoccupied with that. Are the old wooden frames ok to burn, there's absolutely loads of wood from them. Trouble is they're painted. Create fumes etc?

Anything that is painted/stained etc will give off fumes when burnt. I mean the stuff stinks when you slap it on.

My mum burns everything she can in her rayburn so it saves going in the bin and I take her plastic and cardboard for recycling. So she now throws very little out.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Janey51
    Options
    We also shred all our old bills and use them for lighting the fire. Always knew they would come in useful for something.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    john 3:16

depends on the species and moisture content.
    e.g. 1 tonne freshly felled Scots pine is approximately 1 cu metre (solid)
    1 tonne Scots pine at 30% moisture content (seasoned ready for burning) is approx 1.7 cu metre (solid)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport