Just got a letter..

Options
Just received this letter from my employer...
As you are aware, the current market is very weak and regrettably, we need to advise you that your position has now become at risk of redundancy although we will of course consider any possible alternatives.

The Company regrets that these measures are necessary but unfortunately are unavoidable due to the current business climate.

I would therefore be grateful if you could attend a meeting on Friday 7 May at 12 noon in our offices. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss any possible alternatives to redundancy.

You are entitled to have a colleague or a suitably qualified Trade Union representative with you during the meeting if you wish to do so. If you wish to exercise this option please could you let me have the name of your companion prior to the meeting.

If we are unable to find a suitable alternative to redundancy, following consultation and discussions, then notice would be served and redundancy calculations provided.

Please could you confirm your attendance at the meeting but if you have any queries pleased don’t hesitate to contact me.
I am the only one in the company (of the 8 people lleft) to get a letter, and have 48 hours to prepare.... I am also on leave next week... so the timing is convenient!! This has all followed a period of dismissals through 'poor performance' disciplaneires.... I successfully appealed mine, others were not and have gone...

What should I do, and any tips for preparing...

I've been at the company for 3.5 years.

Thanks in advance.
2014 running challenge 471.95 km / 1000 km.

Comments

• Weirdlittleman
    Weirdlittleman Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    Think of alternatives to redundancy and wait and see what they offer.
    The writing is on the wall for you though it seems. If you were on a poor performance discliplinary they likely will have no problem quantifying a low score for redundancy selection and as there are so few people affected consultation periods etc arent needed the meeting is enough before they formally make you redundant.

I would get the job pages out now.
  • kevsan
    kevsan Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    f you were on a poor performance discliplinary they likely will have no problem quantifying a low score for redundancy selection .

Despite the fact that I successfully appealed (the process was blantanly an attempt to get rid of people without paying redundancy) surely this shouldn't count against me?
  • Weirdlittleman
    Weirdlittleman Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    kevsan wrote: »
    Despite the fact that I successfully appealed (the process was blantanly an attempt to get rid of people without paying redundancy) surely this shouldn't count against me?

Why not?
    Your performance may not have been enough to dismiss but certainly any scoring system devised by management will show you lower down than those staff they didnt try to disclipline unless of course you have significantly improved since then.
  • kevsan
    kevsan Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    So what should I expect from the meeting...

What should I take in with me?

What questions should I ask?
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you would have the right to take someone in with you to the meeting. This can be helpful as sometimes under stress you might miss certain things said, or misinterpret something. Having somebody else there with you can help make things clearer after the meeting, and they may pick up on something that may be of help to you as well.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I think one key point is that you are the only one.

Is there an obvious selection pool or are you the only one left.

If there should be a pool you may have a case given the previous attempt.

How did you defend the previous attempt to dismiss?
    Check your house insurance policy for employment legal cover and give ACAS a call.

From what you have said I think they want you out or are there other positions that are obviously potential suitable alternatives.

It might be best to let them go through the process(no pool) and then claim, if you rise the pool issue they could just put everyone in a pool and select you.

The key for you is what do you want to happen.
    Keep the job?
    Get out with a decent payoff?
  • Vomityspice
    Vomityspice Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    They are required to follow strict guidelines if they are going to get through the 'Redundancy' process without making a hash of it and risk an award at an Employment Tribunal.

As part of the process, they are required to individually consult with employees which MUST be a proper and genuine consultation (in addition, there will undoubtedly be an appeal process to ensure that if you do make an ET claim, they can ask for any award to be reduced (up to 100%))

Normally, the selection process will look at establishing the method of selection. In your case, it appears odd that only one person has been 'selected'. If you are doing a similar job as the other 8 workers then this give you a great ET claim. The alternative Work issue is outlined in S.141 ERA. This is usually used to demonstrate that the employer attempted to find something suitable for you.

I would ask at your meeting how the pool of staff 'at risk' was decided and by whom? In addition, you are entitle to see any other workers scoring if they have used a matrix system to select who to make redundant. That way you can ensure that the process has been done fairly. Often criteria are weighted unfairly and that would give you a potentially better ET claim.

The best option is to tell them you are bringing an employment solicitor with you. If they are attempting to get rid of you, they may well have to think a bit harder. Many employers who go through the redundancy process with employees often make mistakes in either selection, consultation or failure to consider alternative work.
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    In addition, you are entitle to see any other workers scoring if they have used a matrix system to select who to make redundant
    I'm sorry but that is completely incorrect!
  • Vomityspice
    Vomityspice Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry but that is completely incorrect!

Go and check. It's not.

How would you be able to discover if the process was fair unless you were able to compare the scores? You are entitled to ask the company for the details and if they don't provide them you will have an easy ET claim.
  • guy999
    guy999 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like your going to be made redundant if you attend, go off sick then go on holiday that way at least it delays them telling you that you are to made redundant, hopefully you get sick pay and it causes them inconvenience, after all they did try to sack you unfairly so why not cause them pain this time
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure