complete card details on printed receipts

We had work done on our car recently by Watling Tyres and I noticed our receipt had the complete card number/card type/expiry date and card holders name printed on it. If you have anything done by them and pay by card,take a marker pen with you so you can immediately score out the card details.
I have emailed them about it today as they were shut so hope to hear it has been changed when they reply but in the meantime check your receipts.

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Culpepper

I had not realised this could happen as whenever I have had a receipt the relevant details have been blanked out. :)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Costcutter supermarket do that too
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    But wouldn't any potential fraudulent user still need access to the 3 digit security number on the reverse of the card - or am I being a little naive?
  • sparky61
    sparky61 Posts: 10,422 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A few years ago we bought a new Combi boiler and when it was delivered the delivery note that the driver gave me had all my card details on.
    A few days later I checked my online bank statement and money was missing from my account.
    Whoever had used the details had topped up their mobile phone by £100 and Spent over a hundred pounds on Virgin Trains travel.
    I reported it straight away and the bank were very good and refunded the money back to my account. So be careful if your cc details are printed in full on your receipt.
    :)
  • To think I thought it was poor that different companies blank out different parts of the number meaning that 2 receipts found together could give away the whole number.

It's no wonder I invested in a shredder!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    This is what the watling tyres people said about it in an email to me this morning

Thankyou for your enquiry the receipts you were given are transmitted direct
    from your bank we can not alter these details,all card slips show full
    details,we cannot change these, please speak to your credit card company to
    see if they can help,thankyou.

but I also got this email from the same company???

We have only recently installed our new pin and chip credit card
    machines.We are aware of the problem you have encountered, and have
    asked our bank to deal with this promptly.

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention

I shall definitely look at shredders and be much more careful with my receipts now though!

Regarding the three figure number on the card,I think this might be just for internet use,if you found it in the street and could use it in a shop to buy goods (say you worked somewhere that took cards without the pin number) I expect you could use it.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    I remember watching a tv programme about this once, this bloke walked down the street in the gutter and picked up about 5 or 6 different reciepts, then took them home and booked:

1) a holiday for him and his family
    2) Loads of books and things from Amazon
    3) some electrical stuff.

The scary part was that the companies actually delivered to HIS home address and didn't ask any questions at all!!

After that i've made sure that i am really careful with my reciepts, but you still find some places that print the whole card number on the reciepts so be very careful where you drop your litter!!
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's only recently that companies have been able to do anything but print the full details on the receipt. In the old days when manual imprints were taken, the full details from the front of the card would be stamped into the pressure-sensitive paper. Receipts that still use carbon (or "carbonless") copies have to print the full number - the store copy must have the full number and as the customer copy is a physical carbon copy of the store copy the two must be identical.
    It's only in fairly recent years that retailers have moved away from carbonless copies in favour of printing two receipts - one a store copy and one for the customer to take (often integrated into the main sales receipt). The store copy still has to show the full card number, but they can elect to show only (say) the last four digits on the customer's copy. I suppose in this case it could be considered unwise if they do print the full details, but where physical carbonless copies are used they don't have any choice but to print the full card number and expiry date.

AFAIK retailers can implement Chip and PIN such that there is no paper store receipt at all (there is just an electronic record on the store's computers) which I suppose could be considered either a blessing or a curse depending on which side of the Chip&PIN fence you fall...
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • Wetherspoons pubs print all th edetails too...at least the Congleton one does.

*she guessed as obviously never goes near public houses*
    Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.
  • This is a subject I raised last year
    Credit CardDockets

Having spent most of the afternoon burning Credit Card Dockets that we have taken in the store it suddenly struck me that most people dont ask the simply question "how do you dispose of your dockets?"
    Just think your details and your signature are all on that little slip of paper, a gift for a crook.
    Now the retailer can be as honest as the day is long, but unless they have a secure way of destroying the slips you could be at risk of being scammed.
    Just putting the slips in the dustbin is no secure way to destroy them..
    Just a thought, but it might be worth asking the question the next time you use your cards

Hope it helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport