🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

withdrawing a child from school?

Options

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    meeting was less than productive basically its all my DDs fault because she doesnt remember things [may have something to do with short term memory problems].

Can she / you buy her a dictaphone? This is a recording device and may help her.

I have one and it does come in handy. (had to record a friend teaching me to do something - there is no way I would've remembered how to do it)
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Can she / you buy her a dictaphone? This is a recording device and may help her.

I have one and it does come in handy. (had to record a friend teaching me to do something - there is no way I would've remembered how to do it)

i did offer to do this but school refused saying it would be disruptive and may get lost/stolen. her new school use a similar device ,its has awards for its cognative teaching ability ,they said she may get there quicker ie end of june. ive got another meeting this Tuesday comming but i will be taking along a letter to de-register her should it go the same way as the last one.
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    edited 2 June 2010 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Glad she will get into your preferred special school, how far along is the statement?

I would withdraw her if the school are unable to teach her - some secondary schools can be feral, especially in the lower classes (I'm making an assumption that she may be there due to SEN?).

However, I would make every effort to keep her day structured like a school timetable, until July - 3 months is a long time. Can you teach her some basic subjects using resources from the internet etc? Devise memory strategies together that will help her day to day? Even if it is not at her level, the structure, repetition and reinforcement will help her keep that which she already knows. Could you invest in a tutor once a week for, eg maths? Maybe you could keep to a morning structure, then maybe make the most of the weather and go on visits in the afternoon.

Hope you do manage to get her in before July - it would certainly help her settle in September.

By the way, I used to take a dictaphone into lectures, also friends have borrowed it for things like difficult doctor appointments, solicitors etc. Invaluable!
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    However, I would make every effort to keep her day structured like a school timetable, until July - 3 months is a long time.

That's certainly one way of doing it, and if you're both happy with that it could work fine.

Personally, I'd give her a good de-schooling (like a delousing!) Let her learn rather go through the hoops that school has made her do.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • System
    Options
    We recieved proposed statement almost 2 weeks ago so in theory 2 weeks to go ,
  • System
    Options
    had another pointless meeting today -basically the things they were supposed to do they havent and their attitude now seems to be well she is leaving us soon anyway so why bother. we go to the new school next week she will go into lessons and they will see if they can take her asap .the final statment is due June 21st.
  • ostaragirl
    ostaragirl Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm in Scotland which is a bit different from English education system otherwise I would have contributed to this thread. It sounds like your talking about home schooling?
  • System
    Options
    we have decided to "educate otherwise" i will be informing school tomorrow [she is off unwell today].i spoke to the parent partnership just to make sure it wouldnt affect her statment which it wont so descision made .
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does that mean that you will be provided with financial/other support in the way her school would? :D
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • System
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    Does that mean that you will be provided with financial/other support in the way her school would? :D

i dont think i will get any financial help but it will only be for a few weeks hopefully.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport