withdrawing a child from school?

Options
has anyone withdrawn their child from school ? if so what did you have to do to achieve this , basic story i have a sen 13 yr old that school are failing big time, she is currently being statmented and we hope to have her at another school in september. in the mean time for a variety of reasons she is struggling .

Comments

• gorgeouslatinrose
    Options
    Hi there,
    My mother withdrew my sister from secondary school at the same age. To do this she wrote the school a letter, displaying why she was doing it and what she was intending to do to continue her education. However before this, she contacted the educational authority who advised her what to do. Basically you can do this, but you need to explain what you intend to do eg Home Education, or home ed untill attempting to get a place in another school. Definatly talk to your educational authority today, they can advise you, and in our case even had people come to our house to talk through options, and my mother had someone to come in with her to the school meeting, where they tried to discorage removal. Good luck, but definatly think about what you intend to do educational wise before talking to the school.
  • gorgeouslatinrose
    Options
    ps. sorry I just realised you stated she would go to another school in september. Sounds like if the school is failing her, and this other one would benefit her better , go for it, but contact other schools to see if you can get a place, or whether you can go and visit them to see if they are sutiable. Hope this helps, but im sure other people much more knowledgable will come along with much better information.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thanks, we are hoping to move her to a special school if the statment all goes to plan.
  • Js_Other_Half
    Js_Other_Half Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    These sites may be of help:

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/
    IPSEA is a national charity providing free legally based advice to families who have children with special educational needs. All our advice is given by trained volunteers.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/
    The Advisory Centre for Education (ACE) is a national charity that provides advice and information to parents and carers on a wide range of school based issues including exclusion, admissions, special education needs, bullying and attendance.

http://www.parentpartnership.org.uk/
    Parent Partnership Services (PPS) are statutory services offering information advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs (SEN). PPS are also able to put parents in touch with other local and national organisations.
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is all that is needed.

If there are problems, try contacting education otherwise. You will effectively be home educating your daughter until she is placed in an appropriate school, so they can be a useful resource for the time being.

Best regards.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    completely different reasons but take a look at reeree's "I'm so angry" thread about withdrawing her grandson from school. Lots of links and advice on there. Hope you get it sorted out for her.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • System
    Options
    ive got a meeting on Tuesday to try to sort out things and someone from the parent partnership is going with me so hopefully they will start to take things seriously.
  • Js_Other_Half
    Js_Other_Half Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    How did the meeting go?
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • System
    Options
    meeting was less than productive basically its all my DDs fault because she doesnt remember things [may have something to do with short term memory problems] .the person from parent partnership asked about the dyspraxia help and senco could supply no information , they basically lied their back teeth off and the deputy head told me not to get angry when mistakes happen as i will stress staff and they may make even more mistakes with her !!
    we got word that she will move to a special school asap ,we are getting the one of our choice .
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Well, I'm glad she has somewhere better to go to. As it's only 6 weeks, I see no harm in removing her and notifying the local authority you are doing this because of the lies and assumption that it is your daughter's fault she has special needs, with an underlying threat of retribution on your daughter if you complain. Do the same to the Board of Governors and any specific disability action group/charity applicable to the area.

Then you get on with an extended holiday, awaiting the new place and let them deal with the cprastorm that should be whirling around in your wake.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family