Swollen feet in pregnancy, do they go down afterwards?

Options
Random question I know!

First of all, I know it can be a symptom of pre-eclampsia, but it's not, I've just got slightly swollen feet as one of the joys of pregnancy!

I bought a pair of bargain shoes online and now have got them realised they're pretty tight. I only have a couple of weeks til bubba is due but they need to go back this week if I decide not to keep them (they've run out of next size up so that's not an option either).

I'm just wondering if it's likely my feet will go back to normal when the baby is born? Has anyone else found this or am I just weird! :p:D

too many comps..not enough time!

Comments

• desdemona01
    Options
    Well in my experience it's like with your tum. It won't snap back into shape the minute the baby pops out, but you'll get there eventually. HTH.
  • chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - I'm not bothered how my feet look, I just want to keep my bargain shoes and wear them later in the year (they're winter boots anyway).

I know I will have better things to think about when I have the baby :)

• bonty44
    bonty44 Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    I hope so, because at the moment I can only wear my slippers!

Joking aside, try and raise your feet as much as possible (I had to laugh when my midwife told me that, fat chance of me sitting with my feet up when Ds1 and DS2 are at home!!) but it really does help; the killer for me this week has been sitting at the computer all day.

Swimming also helps for some reason, I've found
  • brians_daughter
    Options
    Oh your feet will get back to normal, cant guaruntee your stomach will ever be the same again...lol. re the shoes if they are just a bit tight i would keep hold of them, if you have bought a size down than usual, in the hope they may fit take em back :)
  • galvanizersbaby
    galvanizersbaby Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    edited 29 April 2010 at 10:12AM
    Options
    Thanks - I'm not bothered how my feet look, I just want to keep my bargain shoes and wear them later in the year (they're winter boots anyway).

I know I will have better things to think about when I have the baby :)

Hi

Yes don't worry your feet will go back to normal when you've had the baby :)

When pg with my first I woke one morning to find my fingers had swelled significantly overnight and ended up having to have my wedding ring cut off at the jewellers becuse it was cutting off my circulation! :eek:

Just a little tip to take your rings off before you go to bed if you are prone to swelling in pregnancy :D
  • chickaroonee
    chickaroonee Posts: 14,678 Forumite
    Options
    Yep rings are off too! Funny thing is to look at my feet and hands they don't look swollen but I guess they must be (or perhaps my judgement of size has gone completely skewed because of my big belly!!)

• spendaholiceejit
    Options
    Oh this reminds me of when my first was born, my birthday was the week before he was due and DH bought me a lovely pair of boots... I couldn't zip them up and I was too polite to tell him that they didn't fit. I was like you, I didnt think my ankles were swollen, but my view was definitely shewed! When I look at photos of myself back then I can also see puffy face, and upper arms! (Not that Im saying you have these, just that I had no idea how I looked at the time!)

When DS was born the water retention left after about a month and I finally got to wear my boots.

So, yeah, your feet will go back down, but it definitely takes a week or two to get there. Good luck with your pregnancy x
  • minnie123
    minnie123 Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was pregnant at the end I just had to live in my crocs my feet were so swollen I had cankles it looked disgusting. They shrank back after though and so did my belly x
  • moodydonkey
    moodydonkey Posts: 5,218 Forumite
    Options
    i went from a 5 to a 7 when i was pregnant, my friends called me boat feet cos i'm short. went back to a size 5 but i have heard that wearing trainers and flip flops, ugg type things does let your feet 'spread' a bit rather than if you wore more structured shoes. [generally not whilst pregnant]
    Sadly, you don't have any badges yet but keep trying! See what you could get........... oh boo hoo I am crying into my wine. :D
  • Happynewmum
    Options
    I remember being so chuffed that my feet hadnt swoolen during pregnancy. I was very active in regards to walking everywhere-at least 1 hour and a half each day.Then I didnt understand why my fav pair of trainers were crippling me when I was out and about. They hurt me so much I was tempted to walk bare feet one time. Then I got home, had a proper look at my feet ( well as much as you can when you have a huge bump in front of you ) and realised they were alittle swollen. Strangest thing was my feet went down after giving birth but my midwife warned me they may get swoolen due to something about blood circulation-and sure enough they did. THEY WERE HUGE!She told me to put my feet up and they would go down, yeay, yeah, yeah I thought.Then when baby was sleeping and I was knackered I was lying on the sofa drifting off with one foot on the floor and the other resting on the sofa. Woke up sometime later to find one normal foot and one elephant foot!True to say I got the other one on that sofa quick time. Hey presto!Two normal feet again:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure