15year old son charged with robbery

Options
Hi all, Would like some advice please..

My stupid son - along stood with a group who were robbing a 12 year old - they took 5p - . Most were older than him so he did not say anythign to prevent it - I know he should have walked away and he knows that now. The others all told the police my son did not do anything but he is cuplable my being there.

Just got back from the police station and they say it is going to Youth court. He is beside himself . Tomorrow I will need to find a solicitor. Anyone any idea what the outcome might be ? First offence - never been in trouble before...plus any idea how much solicitor will cost ( would not be eligible for legal aid) .Thanks

Comments

• TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope they throw the book at him. It doesn't matter if he was standing next to them, he was still with them and was part of the robbery. He should have been smart enough to walk away (or man enough to stop it).

Unfortunately, as it's his first offense, he'll get off lightly.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't help you much, I'm afraid - you might find that you get the first 1/2 hour free - not sure if that applies in criminal - albeit juvenile - courts but I would hope so.

I am glad that you say your son is "beside himself" - this will, hopefully, be the wake-up call he needs to find new friends!

Hope all goes well for you - and that your son is sufficiently shell-shocked not to allow himself to get involved like this again - what must the poor 12-year old feel like, I wonder - your son will be feeling much the same as he did, I would think.
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    Do you mean you're going to the Youth Court tomorrow? In which case there will be a duty solicitor available which is free but I would guess that as your son is under 16 then he'd get legal aid anyway. Was he not represented by a solicitor at the Police Station? Because if not then he should have been if he's now been charged.

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • paulofessex
    paulofessex Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. My understanding is that it would be your son who would be employing a solicitor, thus no fee's due to his age.

You may find that if your son was not actively involved with the robbery i.e. he didn't use threatening words/violence/took any items from the alleged victim and they are happy that another child did the CPS will NFA against your son.

Can l ask, did your son have a duty solicitor with him during interview at the station? If not, ensure he does in future, the police can sometimes try to avoid this by saying to a person "you might have to wait 2-3 hours for a solicitor" but its always advisable to wait. Please don't panic in the morning regarding securing the services of a solicitor, not really needed at this stage.

Also, was your son actually 'charged' as it may be a case that the police themselves just need a few days to determine more facts of his actual involvement.

My guess is that your son is on bail, and will need to re-attend in a few weeks, at which time they will inform him/you if they are charging him.

Can l suggest you Google 'the role of an appropriate adult, PACE interveiws' just to make yourself aware of your position during the interveiws and to ensure your son is treated correctly....however these days the police pretty much go by the book.

The most annoying thing for me in these cases is even if your son is NFA'ed/innocent he is now on the DNA datebase.

You could also give your local Youth Offending Team a call as they will also be able to advise you of any issues

Wishing you and son all the best
  • Spirit_2
    Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TheEffect wrote: »
    I hope they throw the book at him. It doesn't matter if he was standing next to them, he was still with them and was part of the robbery. He should have been smart enough to walk away (or man enough to stop it).

Unfortunately, as it's his first offense, he'll get off lightly.

Mum has not done this, is upset at son's actions, trying to sort out next actions and has asked on here to get advice on what to expect. What value have you added?

OP - there are people on here who have a variety of experience and someone will be along to help.

Good luck, lets hope your son has learned a lesson and the victim can get over this quickly.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I can't help but think that there must be more to this. The theft of 5p would attact a caution at most if a first offence, unless he did not wish to accept a caution?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • paulofessex
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I can't help but think that there must be more to this. The theft of 5p would attact a caution at most if a first offence, unless he did not wish to accept a caution?

My thought is that the OP has found herself in a situation that is confusing has thrown her totally, perhaps didn't quite understand everything what was said (no offence op) possibly first time in the custody area of a police station etc etc.

My feeling is that if it does go to Youth Court the cps will be looking at the OP's son as being a witness against his mates
  • elvis86
    elvis86 Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. My understanding is that it would be your son who would be employing a solicitor, thus no fee's due to his age.

You may find that if your son was not actively involved with the robbery i.e. he didn't use threatening words/violence/took any items from the alleged victim and they are happy that another child did the CPS will NFA against your son.

Can l ask, did your son have a duty solicitor with him during interview at the station? If not, ensure he does in future, the police can sometimes try to avoid this by saying to a person "you might have to wait 2-3 hours for a solicitor" but its always advisable to wait. Please don't panic in the morning regarding securing the services of a solicitor, not really needed at this stage.

Also, was your son actually 'charged' as it may be a case that the police themselves just need a few days to determine more facts of his actual involvement.

My guess is that your son is on bail, and will need to re-attend in a few weeks, at which time they will inform him/you if they are charging him.

Can l suggest you Google 'the role of an appropriate adult, PACE interveiws' just to make yourself aware of your position during the interveiws and to ensure your son is treated correctly....however these days the police pretty much go by the book.

The most annoying thing for me in these cases is even if your son is NFA'ed/innocent he is now on the DNA datebase.

You could also give your local Youth Offending Team a call as they will also be able to advise you of any issues

Wishing you and son all the best

The most annoying thing for me in this case is that an innocent 12 year old child has no doubt been bloody terrified by a bunch of much older thugs and bullies, including the OP's son.:cool:
  • paulofessex
    Options
    elvis86 wrote: »
    The most annoying thing for me in this case is that an innocent 12 year old child has no doubt been bloody terrified by a bunch of much older thugs and bullies, including the OP's son.:cool:

Yep, point taken on that
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    DS got mugged for a measly 20p a few years ago...
    Police did nothing, the brats that did it all got away with it, even though ds and his mate identified them, they were walking to the youth club, and after that he refused to go, in fact took him years to go out alone.

It's not worth having a go at OP as she is just the mum, and would like some advice.

OP I'd be wondering what would be put on record, and be more worried about future crb checks that may be needed for him to get a job, and hope that if he doesn't get anything for this, has learned a big lesson
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills