We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

1…287288290292293…349

Comments

  • Pip.......

    Wow !

    bala

    x
    AKA : Bala La Boo & Bala Baloo

    According to a lovely poster I am Bala the Brave who wrestled a Tiger.  You know who you are..... 

    I HAVE A GOLD STAR and A MEDAL and a Title !
  • Pip  very helpful information.
    I too battle hard water , its my stiff laundry that drives me mad the most.! Ive just dipped into this thread having seen your post you may have already covered it. Any advice please?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    vinegar to use as a rinse ai and borax in the drum.
    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • Thank you for the suggestions re: hard water
    Pip wow! Just tried the kettle thing result!! Waiting for it to cool before i decant it to a jar and reuse as you recommend
    Taff will add that idea for future experiments. Im working through several .I hate that the lovely new xmas socks are stiff already
    Goldfinches thanks for suggestion ..already do that and am experimenting with the amounts i use.
  • Great idea Pip , i want to try this ..do i use white vinegar ? Also like the idea of keeping hot water in the flask thing rather than keep boiling kettle, tried it but it seems to go a bit luke warm in my thermos , is it the flask ?
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 5,247
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Pip  very helpful information.
    I too battle hard water , its my stiff laundry that drives me mad the most.! Ive just dipped into this thread having seen your post you may have already covered it. Any advice please?
    Sadly, no advice from me, @gettingthrifty.  Stiff laundry isn't something that bothers me.

    Great idea Pip , i want to try this ..do i use white vinegar ? Also like the idea of keeping hot water in the flask thing rather than keep boiling kettle, tried it but it seems to go a bit luke warm in my thermos , is it the flask ?
    Yes, @thriftylynny.  Distilled white vinegar is what I use, not malt.  Check out your nearest Asian supermarket - they should sell it relatively cheaply, in the convenient gallon bottle.

    There may be a problem with your thermos.  The one I use on a daily basis is an ancient Thermos-brand carafe*, which I bought in the 1990's. The water does get colder as the day goes on but, if I fill it at 7.30am, I can still make a hot drink at 2 or 3pm.  

    HTH

    - Pip


    * When the seal broke, I struggled to replace it because Thermos no longer sell seals on their own, just lids, and my carafe was so old that they don't make that model anymore.  Eventually, I cobbled together a suitable seal by combining the seals from two vacuum travel mugs that had ceased to be water tight.  Not sure how long my fix will last, but better than nothing.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'

    It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

    2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over

    57.5 coupons - yarn
    12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
    4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
    1 coupon - bra
    8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
    5 coupons - black leather loafers
    5 coupons - leather handbag
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.