PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Now I live on my own the size of packs in supermarkets for food items is often more than I would eat before the use by day has expired - so, of course, I freeze what won't be used in the short term and in meal-size portions. 
    I used to buy freezer/food plastic bags but now use, and re-use, plastic boxes which were originally holding other food items.
    I found that plastic bags were generally single-use because washing them was too fiddly but it is easy to wash  the boxes and know they are safe to be used again.
    They do take up more space in the freezer unless filled to the brim but they also protect the contents better.
    I do agree washing and reusing plastic bags is fiddly.  I wish mine in soapy water and weather permitting, hang iut on my washing line to dry but getting the insides perfectly dry before storing for  reuse can be tricky if you don,t want mould to develop.
    Does anybody have any magic quick fix solutions?
    Plastic boxes are more convenient I agree but freezer space is at a premium here and with plastic bags, loose items like vegs can free up space gradually as contents are gradually removed. Boxes do tend to waste space unless they can be partly restocked with other items.    I.ve started to use bigger bags and "flatten them out" before freezing contents like stews, bolognese sauces etc.   This method sometimes makes it easier to pack in more items.
    I think Lockdowns have made us all more conscious of making the most of our freezer capacities. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback