Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies - Page 286

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

edited 14 May 2019 at 9:52AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 1.2M views

Replies

• KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I need water for the garden I use the run off before washing up, combi boiler so it's hot quickly but not instantly. 

If really desperate I pop a bucket into the shower to catch the water while it's warming up, pop it out as I get in then when I'm done put it back to catch the "clearing" water before it switches off. 
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hand sanitiser. 
    Most shops have some to use but still like a little bottle in handbags. 
    I have some bought BC Before Coronavirus, they are now very expensive.
    Cheaper to buy a larger quantity (we got 500ml on eBay for a decent price) and decant into little bottles when empty.

Same with Vaseline. I always bought the Lip Therapy tins until I realised how much it costs, over £5 per 100g.
    Now buy a 250ml tub from Savers for under £2, wash out tins when empty and refill. 
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    quoia said:
    KxMx said:
    When I need water for the garden I use the run off before washing up, combi boiler so it's hot quickly but not instantly. 

If really desperate I pop a bucket into the shower to catch the water while it's warming up, pop it out as I get in then when I'm done put it back to catch the "clearing" water before it switches off. 

If you had a really big bucket, like one of those 2 handled flexible garden tubs, you could stand in it whilst showering and collect even more water :grin:
    You jest but I might just do that. Water is a precious resource.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • gt568gt568 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    quoia said:
    KxMx said:

If you had a really big bucket, like one of those 2 handled flexible garden tubs, you could stand in it whilst showering and collect even more water :grin:
    You jest but I might just do that. Water is a precious resource.

Get a water butt as well if you don't already.
    :silenced: Down with the signature fascists!!:naughty:
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ruthber said:
    My daughter asked me to dye a pair of trousers black. the dye is expensive (around £5 in Tesco). So to make it go further I chucked in some assorted orphan socks and now have 5 newish pairs of black socks!
    Excellent idea, @ruthber !

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 51/66 coupons spent. 15 remain.