PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pip  very helpful information.
    I too battle hard water , its my stiff laundry that drives me mad the most.! Ive just dipped into this thread having seen your post you may have already covered it. Any advice please?
    Sadly, no advice from me, @gettingthrifty.  Stiff laundry isn't something that bothers me.

Great idea Pip , i want to try this ..do i use white vinegar ? Also like the idea of keeping hot water in the flask thing rather than keep boiling kettle, tried it but it seems to go a bit luke warm in my thermos , is it the flask ?
    Yes, @thriftylynny.  Distilled white vinegar is what I use, not malt.  Check out your nearest Asian supermarket - they should sell it relatively cheaply, in the convenient gallon bottle.

There may be a problem with your thermos.  The one I use on a daily basis is an ancient Thermos-brand carafe*, which I bought in the 1990's. The water does get colder as the day goes on but, if I fill it at 7.30am, I can still make a hot drink at 2 or 3pm.  

HTH

- Pip

* When the seal broke, I struggled to replace it because Thermos no longer sell seals on their own, just lids, and my carafe was so old that they don't make that model anymore.  Eventually, I cobbled together a suitable seal by combining the seals from two vacuum travel mugs that had ceased to be water tight.  Not sure how long my fix will last, but better than nothing.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    ladyholly said:
    I think I solved the expense of hair a while ago. I haven’t had a hair cut in over a year and only then because one of my sons and wife gave me a voucher for a cut and blow dry at a local hairdresser for Mother’s Day. Prior to that it was over a year since I had a haircut. Needless to say I have long hair.  I wash and condition twice a week and let it dry naturally. I tend to wear a low ponytail but I always wanted to be an old lady with a bun (Mrs Pepperpot was my icon). I haven’t quite mastered the bun but I stood behind a lady in the PO (pre lockdown) one day who definitely had and she looked very elegant. Before my ‘free’ cut and blow my dil said I should get my fringe cut back in (hint hint). I didn’t but I know she was right and so post lockdown I will have a trim and a fringe. I can trim it for a while between cuts. Long hair is much easier to manage than short. I don’t worry if I’m caught in the rain, my hairstyle stays the same and isn’t ruined.  I don’t colour my hair either but although I’m 68 I haven’t gone grey yet. Doing nothing to your hair is free. I just wish I could master that bun.
    I am 67 and much the same but I havent have my hair cut in about 5years. I have been thinking of having it cut though because I am finding it hard to hold my arms up to get it into the pony tail due to a health problem. I dont really want to because I am stingy and hate going to the hairdressers anyway so I will see how i go. I would love to have a bun, french pleat or similar but it will be beyond me. Shame because the do look really elegant. I am going quite grey but as a former ginger it now looks more strawberry blonde or am i kidding myself?

I hate wasting money but a regular haircut is one thing that is very necessary (for me). I have 12th April marked in my diary :)
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport