PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tenant wants to call a plumber

Options
Hi,

My tenants have a minor issue with the boiler - which I think is a non issue, and is something that 3 other tenants have lived with for the last 2 years with no comment. I also lived in the property for a couple of years.

It's not worth going into, but I just wondered if they insist on calling a plumber, and he says 'its a non-issue, it a 'feature' of this type of boiler', and hands me a bill for £150, can I ask them to pay it?

I am in London, and I have never managed to get a plumber out for less than that - even if they aren't able to do anything!

I know there is a goodwill element here, but how far does that have to go? I am covered by BG homecare, but I suspect even they will charge me if I call them out for nothing.

Thanks

KMMR

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    What is the issue?
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also think it depends on what the (non) issue is.

If it's something that tenants can expect the LL to fix and you haven't, then you are liable (with reason) for the bills associated with diagnosing/fixing it. If it's not, then you're not.
  • kmmr
    kmmr Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    I'll PM you - I don't really want the tenants to find me here getting general advice, and they will identify it if I describe it here...
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the attention needed to the boiler a performance one or an issue that is connected to safety?

It's your responsibility in the first instance to engage a workman but if it is a known performance issue your tenants are complaining of you need to point this out to them, and also your reluctance to call out a workman for no appreciable increase in performance. Then, should they deem it necessary to call out a workman they will be doing it at their own expense and not yours.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    This issue - is it relating to the energy output of the boiler? So it can only run half a bath of hot water?

If it's a boiler too low powered for the property size then that's unreasonable for a tenant to put up with.

If it's that you can't have the heating and water on at the same time then that's annoying.

If it's a "not serious" issue then why don't you inform tenants about it before hand?
  • kmmr
    Options
    I did inform them - but as they were moving in, and not before. And I have given them a simple workaround that works.

I write a little 'welcome to the flat' letter, including things like how to register for council tax, where to get takeaway etc, and I include it in there next to the BG number.
  • kmmr
    Options
    poppysarah - did you get the PM? I had a posting issue as I sent it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 April 2010 at 2:21PM
    Options
    Impossible to comment on the issue without knowing the problem, but so far as the principal is concerned, I would never allow the tenants to engage anyone to look at/work on the boiler. Who knows who they'll employ? GasSafe registered? Maybe not!

So. Get them to write to you with details of the problem. If you deem it to warrant investigation, send in your GasSafe plumber. If not, write back telling them why.

If it becomes an ongoing bone of contention between you, do not renew their tenancy when the fixed term expires (if fixed term), and find new tenants. And make sure before the next tenants move in they know all about the boiler's 'idiosyncracies'!
  • Kitten_Pie
    Kitten_Pie Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in london and have had a plumber out for less. I went on ratedpeople or one of those websites and found a great plumber who came out the same day on a Saturday and charged nothing for coming round and quoting. Because of that I have used him several times since and am thrilled with the work.
    Overdraft = £1000 Emergency fund = £2500
    Competition wins 2015 = £1400
    :ANathan Henry & Lincoln Marcus born 19th October 2011 :A
    :D Naomi Lily born 28th August 2012 :D Lachlan Georg born 4th October 2013 :D
    :D Rowena Hazel born 5th October 2015 :D
  • kmmr
    Options
    Sorry - to clarify - they are asking me to get a plumber for them. I'd only use gassafe of course.

Issue is not safety related, it is more along the lines of the 'running two taps together' type issue. Could potentially be resolved by a new boiler, but maybe not. I don't really want to have to pay to find out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport