Credit Reference Agencies - Who Really Uses Who? II

Options

Comments

• Svenena
    Svenena Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also be aware that First Direct are quite harsh credit scorers and often contact your employer to confirm employment status and salary.

I had a phone call from First Direct today at work - I hadn't given my work number, and they were put through to me from another department, so they'd obviously looked it up themselves. The woman I spoke to said they have to call you at work when you open an account, presumably to confirm you're employed. I guess they may have spoken to HR first to check my salary, etc?

Wish I'd thought to ask whether they'd already done the credit check. I want to apply for an HSBC account before Sunday, but I don't want that credit search to appear until I've secured the FD account. But I guess if they're processing my account today, the check will be done today.

Thanks for the info on who the searches are with. :T
  • CpdButWhy
    Options
    Vanquis seems to be searching not only Experian but at least also Callcredit. I got a "credit card" search on Experian, and "money laundering prevention" searches at least both at Experian and Callcredit. I don't have instant access to my Equifax file, yet, so can't verify if that was searched as well.

Well, hopefully that means that I at least passed the credit scoring step at them, as at any other applications which was rejected because of credit scoring (or that's what they sent), they never did money laundering searches.

So it seems, I am breathing and above ground according to Vanquis :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CpdButWhy wrote: »
    Vanquis seems to be searching not only Experian but at least also Callcredit. I got a "credit card" search on Experian, and "money laundering prevention" searches at least both at Experian and Callcredit. I don't have instant access to my Equifax file, yet, so can't verify if that was searched as well.

Well, hopefully that means that I at least passed the credit scoring step at them, as at any other applications which was rejected because of credit scoring (or that's what they sent), they never did money laundering searches.

So it seems, I am breathing and above ground according to Vanquis :)

Hi CpdButWhy

Thanks for the information.

This thread is only concerned with full credit searches (i.e. credit card, loan, current account) as most other types of search (i.e. money laundering, quotation, generic ID) leave no 'footprint' that is visible to other lenders and therefore do not impact a credit rating.

Thanks for confirming that Vanquis use Experian for credit searches, it's always useful to verify what is listed is still accurate.

Regards
    UNDERGROUND :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dan77 wrote: »
    Just want to thank this thread for giving me the confidence to apply for credit for the first time in 4 years. After some terrible decisions in 2002/2003 my credit rating was shot (Defaults, CCJ's etc). I have since held down a good well paid job for 5 years, married, paid my rent on time and kept my current account in check. My Experian credit rating in now excellent but sadly Equifax is very poor due to a satisfied CCJ (for £238) and a default still showing and for some reason my address is wrong (I am sorting that out). I dont know about Call Credit due to the fact they have messed up my login - AGAIN!!

Anyway after sometime trying to work out who will accept me I have today applied for a Halifax credit card and I am pleased to say they accepted me! :)

I will only use it to build up a credit history but I am glad I am getting back on track, just need Equifax sorted now!!

Hi dan77

Nice one on the Halifax card :beer:
    Glad to hear that the information on this thread is still coming in useful, it makes it worth maintaining and updating it.

Best of luck with sorting out your Equifax file and in re-building your credit rating.

Regards
  • marcellep
    marcellep Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    Options
    Question:

I have a catalogue which has a balance of £1010 Now the company has reduced my credit limit to £900

How will this affect my credit rating.......
    If I have been helpful - Hit the Thanks button
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They should not arbitrarily reduce the limit below your balance if the limit was previously higher than the balance and they gave you no warning.

Under such circumstances you should raise a formal written complaint as this will appear to 3rd party limits that you went over your limit and will have an adverse effect on your credit rating.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • dan77_2
    dan77_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Hi dan77

Nice one on the Halifax card :beer:
    Glad to hear that the information on this thread is still coming in useful, it makes it worth maintaining and updating it.

Best of luck with sorting out your Equifax file and in re-building your credit rating.

Regards
    Thanks, I have also been accepted for an Argos card (they only checked Experian) which I will use for 1 purchase and put away unless I really need it!

Equifax has gone from V Poor to Fair thanks to a change of address and a default going off the file, just the CCJ to go (3 years :().

Again, thanks for this thread it's great. I just need a mobile provider who only check Experian and I am in :)
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vodafone & Three only check Experian. Orange usually check Experian, Sometimes Equifax, but a single 3+ year old CCJ shouldn't get in the way of a mobile contract :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • marcellep
    marcellep Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    Options
    izools wrote: »
    They should not arbitrarily reduce the limit below your balance if the limit was previously higher than the balance and they gave you no warning.

Under such circumstances you should raise a formal written complaint as this will appear to 3rd party limits that you went over your limit and will have an adverse effect on your credit rating.

Thanks for that, I will send a letter of Formal complaint today

I received no such warning, I got my monthly statement in and that is when I noticed the sudden drop in credit. I did call them to question it, But not being racist the Indian person I spoken to had no idea what I was on about.

I have since paid the full balance off

:)
    If I have been helpful - Hit the Thanks button
  • dichremy
    dichremy Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Oh,.what's wrong.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income