Credit Reference Agencies - Who Really Uses Who? II

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Svenena wrote: »
    Does anyone know which CRA First Direct search for current accounts? I can't find them mentioned in the OP, and a search of the thread only revealed one post, which didn't say whether it related to searching or reporting.

Hi Svenena

First Direct are listed under HSBC.

In my case they only credit searched Experian and did authentication searches (non-credit) with Equifax.

Others have experienced credit searches at both EX and EQ (as izools says) so best to prepare yourself for both to be searched.

Also be aware that First Direct are quite harsh credit scorers and often contact your employer to confirm employment status and salary.

Regards
    UNDERGROUND :D
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Svenena

First Direct are listed under HSBC.

In my case they only credit searched Experian and did authentication searches (non-credit) with Equifax.

Others have experienced credit searches at both EX and EQ (as izools says) so best to prepare yourself for both to be searched.

Also be aware that First Direct are quite harsh credit scorers and often contact your employer to confirm employment status and salary.

Regards

Does First Direct decline without credit searching at all?

I checked my Equifax credit file yesterday and there was no search from my last First Direct application some months ago. Not checked my Experian for a while so it may very well be on there.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • System
    Options
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    Does First Direct decline without credit searching at all?

I wouldn't have thought so. Not unless you've already applied in the past (i.e. within their minimum re-apply time period) or you already have a relationship with HSBC which they've looked at first.
    I checked my Equifax credit file yesterday and there was no search from my last First Direct application some months ago. Not checked my Experian for a while so it may very well be on there.

Like I said, I only had a credit search on Experian and then authentication searches on Equifax. I guess if the initial Experian credit search fails then no other searches are conducted.

Regards
  • ElkyElky
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought so. Not unless you've already applied in the past (i.e. within their minimum re-apply time period) or you already have a relationship with HSBC which they've looked at first.

When is the minimum re-apply time? 6 months?

I never used my HSBC details on the form, used my NatWest as that had been opened for 5+ years.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • System
    Options
    I only had a credit search on Experian and then authentication searches on Equifax.

Actually, this is nonsense! I'm not sure why I convinced myself of this!

I've just looked at my previous EX and EQ files and there is absolutely zilch on EQ. There are three searches on EX:
    • 1 full credit search by First Direct
    • 1 'unrecorded enquiry' by First Direct
    • 1 'identification: generic check' by HSBC Online
    Regards
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    or you already have a relationship with HSBC which they've looked at first

I will be able to answer this one in May as I will have been with HSBC for over six months, and had six salaries mandated to the account.

Hopefully I'll have a chance as I've never used the HSBC overdraft, don't see myself needing to ever either. They say I have an account score of 71. Which would be great if they did pre-approvals still. They don't :(

Obviously if they do an Experian search things may go pear shaped with my BR but then again it didn't put HSBC off providing me with a 1K OD... We'll see.

Will let y'all know after Easter :beer:
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • System
    Options
    When is the minimum re-apply time? 6 months?

No idea I'm afraid! 6 months sounds reasonable. They may tell you if you give them a call.
    I never used my HSBC details on the form, used my NatWest as that had been opened for 5+ years.

They will still have been able to track you down through other matching methods. If you check your Experian report and there are no searches I would say it's likely they've looked at your existing relationships and made a decision on that. Is / are your HSBC account(s) in good order?

• ElkyElky
    Options
    No idea I'm afraid! 6 months sounds reasonable. They may tell you if you give them a call.

They will still have been able to track you down through other matching methods. If you check your Experian report and there are no searches I would say it's likely they've looked at your existing relationships and made a decision on that. Is / are your HSBC account(s) in good order?

Yes in perfect order. Lots of direct debits, standing orders and a decent amount of money being paid in. I don't let the account balance run down so there is always some money in there.

My HSBC credit card has a low balance (£100) and is still benefiting from 0%. Two savings accounts with them also but not that large.

I've been flooding my First Direct savings account with money in the hope that would do something positive for when I re-apply for the current account.

I do think I'm a little over-comitted at present but my HBOS credit card is being closed after the next statements final interest charges.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    6 months sounds reasonable

Yes, it is Six months.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • dan77_2
    dan77_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Just want to thank this thread for giving me the confidence to apply for credit for the first time in 4 years. After some terrible decisions in 2002/2003 my credit rating was shot (Defaults, CCJ's etc). I have since held down a good well paid job for 5 years, married, paid my rent on time and kept my current account in check. My Experian credit rating in now excellent but sadly Equifax is very poor due to a satisfied CCJ (for £238) and a default still showing and for some reason my address is wrong (I am sorting that out). I dont know about Call Credit due to the fact they have messed up my login - AGAIN!!

Anyway after sometime trying to work out who will accept me I have today applied for a Halifax credit card and I am pleased to say they accepted me! :)

I will only use it to build up a credit history but I am glad I am getting back on track, just need Equifax sorted now!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback